Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

• Quiet luxury

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Loud luxury

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Both

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
I like louder quiet luxury if that makes sense? No logos and few patterns in my wardrobe but I’ll wear bolder accessories like an Hermès CDC, McQueen skull scarf or Tiffany bone cuff. I got my grail bag a few years ago which was a so black Chanel Reissue (Chevron) which I love the look of but it doesn’t telegraph Chanel the way a CF does.

I feel like there’s such a conflating of terms eg. quiet luxury, minimalism and logos vs no logos. And the whole Succession thing. I was at pre-screening with the showrunners a few months ago and they said for wardrobing some of the billionaires they had consulted with initially said “this show isn’t about me” and then shifted to “Well Axe’s style is loosely based on me” (since his style started to include edgier items like leather jackets and band t-shirts).

Working from home part time has definitely shifted my style so I want better feeling fabrics. A lot of my clothing comes from Vince and because it’s so classic I buy most of it at the outlet at Woodbury Common or on sale online –the styles don’t change that much season to season and so far seem to have resisted doing the thing where they make cheaper clothes just for outlets. I mix in high quality vintage pieces occasionally. I have a Margiela-era Hermès cashmere coat which is basically like walking around in a comfortable bathrobe.
I love Vince btw. They do repeat their staples in seasonal colours which makes purchasing favourites so easy. I don’t even bother trying stuff on anymore as I know the fit and sizing so well.Their pieces serve as a perfect canvas for fun accessories. I might actually have the chance to visit Woodbury Common next month so I can check that store as well!

Anyways back on topic, I would say I am both loud and quiet at the same time but it is not really a conscious decision. I don’t aim to be one or the other but rather just whatever works for me that day. For work, I wear very simple basic pieces just because it is still a very conservative environment. Off hours and weekends is when my fashionista personality comes out to play. Some logos may seem loud and recognizeable in this purseforum discussion but in my real life I just don’t think that many people know or care.

Reactions: WillstarveforLV
This is my idea of luxury...I love palladian windows in any combination:

View attachment 5942440

Is this a cause for concern?
thank you for adding the article and the photo. Interesting article:
"Arnault acquired Loro Piana a couple of years after failing to seize control of French family-owned ultra luxe maison Hermès. And it’s been clear from the outset that Arnault aims to turn Loro Piana into a credible Hermès rival. Loro Piana is dwarfed in size by Hermès. Analysts estimate annual revenues at the Italian label are around the billion euro mark. Hermès group sales hit 11.6 billion euros in 2022, the latest number available. Still, with last year’s launch of the Bale bag, Loro Piana has decisively entered the segment that drives the majority of Hermès’ growth.'' I had no idea that Loro Piana is a 'credible Hermes rival'.
Love the photo and the windows - although that sort of room can only be used during the day - very luxurious to have so much space just for daytime.

Reactions: WingNut
thank you for adding the article and the photo. Interesting article:
"Arnault acquired Loro Piana a couple of years after failing to seize control of French family-owned ultra luxe maison Hermès. And it’s been clear from the outset that Arnault aims to turn Loro Piana into a credible Hermès rival. Loro Piana is dwarfed in size by Hermès. Analysts estimate annual revenues at the Italian label are around the billion euro mark. Hermès group sales hit 11.6 billion euros in 2022, the latest number available. Still, with last year’s launch of the Bale bag, Loro Piana has decisively entered the segment that drives the majority of Hermès’ growth.'' I had no idea that Loro Piana is a 'credible Hermes rival'.
Love the photo and the windows - although that sort of room can only be used during the day - very luxurious to have so much space just for daytime.
They may be rivals in terms of quality, but H is more mainstream. They even make products for Apple.

I would say that bespoke is quiet (well made, unknown) and any premier luxury brand, thanks to social media, including TPF, is loud, even without logos. I voted both as I am fond of Chanel, Hermes, Dior, Loro Piana, Brunello, all loud and certainly recognizable if you know what to look for. And, I also love bespoke and MtM from smaller luxury companies.

I would say that bespoke is quiet (well made, unknown) and any premier luxury brand, thanks to social media, including TPF, is loud, even without logos. I voted both as I am fond of Chanel, Hermes, Dior, Loro Piana, Brunello, all loud and certainly recognizable if you know what to look for. And, I also love bespoke and MtM from smaller luxury companies.
Loro Piana and Brunello Cucinelli loud? Aren't they logo-less? Did I miss something?

I think it's also dependent on your crowd. I know people who can spot Dior a mile away but wouldn't even notice Brunello. There's definitely a hierarchy of loudness.

I think the point was even though there is no logo - its still recognizable of the brand pending your crowd - for example Loro Piana loafers - no logo but you know its Loro Piana.
Agree. If a sweater, pants, or dress has a thin stripe of monili (that shiny, bead like, gunmetal colored detail), it costs about 1K plus more than it should and it is Brunello. Brunello also has a very distinctive line of tailored pants; oversized ‘opera sweaters;’ and, close fitting metallic pullovers.

Some of Loro Piana summer women’s rtw oddly looks like table linen prints; fall/winter are super plush, sweeping, cape like, layered things. Some with leather trim. Both are pretty distinctive imo. On the UES, for maybe the past two decades or more, way before Succession, guys wore LP storm system outerwear and Brunello sweaters

ETA:another example is a charvet shirt, a Turnbull shirt, and an Italian shirt (like borelli) are all lux, but in very diff ways. :smile:

Last edited:
Is part of the issue age, maybe? When I was younger (under 40) I loved the loud luxury - now (over 50) I feel like I dress/look differently and the quiet luxury is a better choice.
It's entirely individual, but I think people's wardrobe and tastes may change over time.
This I find so true - hence when I joined TPF in 2008 - 16 years ago! my profile name is willstarveforLV because my age, 16 years ago was all about that, logos and Marc Jacobs designs - now for the last few years, I will not wear or any desire to buy anything LV because of the logo - the only thing now I buy from LV is perfume and the odd sunglasses here and there so style and taste definitely changes with age - I should change my profile name but I do not have the heart to take the OG persona away from myself.:nuts:

Reactions: renee_nyc
This I find so true - hence when I joined TPF in 2008 - 16 years ago! my profile name is willstarveforLV because my age, 16 years ago was all about that, logos and Marc Jacobs designs - now for the last few years, I will not wear or any desire to buy anything LV because of the logo - the only thing now I buy from LV is perfume and the odd sunglasses here and there so style and taste definitely changes with age - I should change my profile name but I do not have the heart to take the OG persona away from myself.:nuts:
What's so funny is that I was in middle school when the original Juicy tracksuits were everywhere. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. My parents would not let me wear anything that said "juicy" on my ass and I can't fault them!

I realized I hated logos sometime during college, and I've never wavered in that. But I have friends who are just coming around to that now as we enter and settle into our 30s. And some who are still logo-obsessed and rock it!

• Haha
Reactions: S0nia
I think the point was even though there is no logo - its still recognizable of the brand pending your crowd - for example Loro Piana loafers - no logo but you know its Loro Piana.
I see your point, I agree. 880 makes a good point about distinctiveness. Those Loro Pianas are very distinctive. However I've seen 2 other shoe brands on internet ads that do the same style, they actually look like Loro Pianas. And I couldn't tell if they were or not just by looking at them.