Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

• Quiet luxury

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Loud luxury

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Both

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I fall in the loud luxury camp. That being said, I think a lot of “quiet luxury” proponents don’t realise that loud luxury doesn’t mean logomania, it can and does include things that are recognisable and iconic as well. Do you like Birkins or Kellys? That comes under loud luxury too!

So true.

People confuse quiet luxury and minimalism, quiet luxury and old money. These are three different concepts.
Logomania is loud luxury, but so is maximalism, and any form of exuberance (colours, theatricality etc.).
The problem is more the imposition of trend cycles on everyone and how that constantly narrows the options for the group whose tastes are not on trend.

I gravitate towards quiet luxury, definitely. I've never been a fan of loud patterns and logos. Well, with the exception of Prada... :lol: But their older styles didn't have huge a logo, it was relatively small and elegant. I prefer the understated look, especially since I started buying good quality clothing in lesser quantities.

Also, I agree that there's a notable distinction between these three terms - minimalism, quiet luxury and old money.

Interesting there are more quiet luxury ppl here than loud luxury.
I wouldn't say this is "interesting" I would absolutely have expected such. I am definitely one of the fewer against the grain here who would be classified as "loud" be it logos, colors/patterns, or other features I feel make a bag speak to me. What is interesting to me is the different interpretations of the term. As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: JenJBS
I wouldn't say this is "interesting" I would absolutely have expected such. I am definitely one of the fewer against the grain here who would be classified as "loud" be it logos, colors/patterns, or other features I feel make a bag speak to me. What is interesting to me is the different interpretations of the term. As they say, different strokes for different folks.
I shoulda add a 3rd option 'Both' as someday I like logos and other days to be lowkey.

This is actually a really interesting question. I would instinctively say quiet, as I don’t like logos at all, and the concept of “loud” luxury to me would be visible logo type pieces.

However. What’s said upthread about recognizable and iconic pieces has made me think. I do love a bracelet stack. With social media being what it is, there’s a decent argument that even a couple of vintage Alhambra bracelets is not quiet. I love my JUC, but is it quiet luxury when people immediately recognize it as Cartier?

Food for thought.

I had another thought - it feels sometimes like there’s a bit of virtue signalling around the term “quiet luxury”, at least online. There’s nothing wrong if classy, well tailored/made clothing/bags entirely devoid of logos or recognisable features and in neutral colours, is your jam. But imo there’s very few people whose entire style falls into one of the two camps (even if I consider myself a “loud luxury” person for the purposes of the question it doesn’t mean that I walk around slathered in logos from head to toe, but it can mean that I pair my Loro Piana cashmere pullover with Zara jeans and then carry an LV monogram bag with it; mixing together elements of loud luxury, quiet luxury and straight up fast fashion), and having some recognisable pieces doesn’t mean you’re not still “classy”. It does mean though, that not 100% of your style falls in the quiet luxury camp; because those pieces function in the same way as a logo does. They signal the brand. When it comes to jewellery, I’d argue the Alhambra is more of a logo for VCA than their actual logo; but the Frivole, for example, isn’t. The latter is still an example of quiet luxury, the former definitely isn’t.

So in a way I don’t think this is a “fair” question, because it would be extremely hard to fall on one specific side in its entirety. But neither should someone on one side feel compelled to defend their liking for pieces or aesthetics that correspond better with “the other side”.