Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

• Quiet luxury

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Loud luxury

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Both

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
I see your point, I agree. 880 makes a good point about distinctiveness. Those Loro Pianas are very distinctive. However I've seen 2 other shoe brands on internet ads that do the same style, they actually look like Loro Pianas. And I couldn't tell if they were or not just by looking at them.
I might push this further and say if a brand’s design is being copied, it means that it is no longer as “quiet” as people think it is or at least it has gone a lil bit more mainstream. The same way I don’t see Chanel tweed jackets as quiet luxury even though it is almost void of logos unless ppl get up close and stare at the buttons. The design itself has been copied countless times by fast fashion and talked so much abt online. Don’t get me wrong - I still love my C tweed. I just don’t consider I’m being under the radar when I wear them.

I strongly agree with what 880 said. Brunello and Loro Piana (and many currently so-called quiet luxury) all have very distinct features that can be easily identified. That’s kind of the point of building a designer brand. It needs to be distinguishable (or at least unique) to create its own space in the fashion world. My DH and son wear their Brunello sneakers everywhere but when I walk behind them (which is most of the time lol bc they walk so darn fast!) it’s so easy to see the Brunello emblem in the back of the shoe, just like a pair of Adidas.

Another example is a very affordable Japanese lifestyle brand Muji. They offer things from toilet brush to winter coats and swore by the product quality. Nothing in the store has its logo printed on and all tags can be removed. We can certainly call it quiet bc it is completely logo free, even more logo free than brands like the Row or Loro Piana. But the stores are always packed with people buying their merchandise and I can recognize some of their iconic designs anywhere.

How quiet is quiet? And how loud can a brand or design be when we no longer consider it quite? Loro Piana also works with (and, if I remember correctly, sponsors) this famous TikTok personality for him to go everywhere wearing head to toe Loro Piana and showing his clothes off online in almost every video. What is bad for a brand to go mainstream? I don’t think there is a real divide between quiet and loud when it comes to consumption…

Last edited:
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I fall in the loud luxury camp. That being said, I think a lot of “quiet luxury” proponents don’t realise that loud luxury doesn’t mean logomania, it can and does include things that are recognisable and iconic as well. Do you like Birkins or Kellys? That comes under loud luxury too!
I have to agree with bolded. Carrying a birkin is now almost synonymous with loud luxury - very loud.

Reactions: OCMomof3
Who knows how many minutes longer the "mob wife" aesthetic is going to be out there, but it's a thing that's definitely on the loud side. I like the big hair, red nails/lip part of it.
Rock stud Valentino shoes, Canada Goose coats, Alexander McQueen designs, H belt buckles and collier de chien bracelets are loud IMO. Every once in a while it's fun to go loud. But I fully appreciate quiet elegance as well.

How quiet is quiet?
IMG_5244.jpegIMG_5247.jpeg
First pic: DH’s Hermes RTW denim shirt, LP pants (MtM pants program: jersey fabric that he got with belt loops). I think he had to get approval bc MtM fabrics are different than bespoke ones.

Second pic: LP sweater and wool felt pants (RTW pants that are so stretchable they are like yoga pants) yet they look like relaxed dress pants

LPs fit is distinctive, and so are the fabrics, but if you aren’t familiar with either, you wouldn’t know. The Hermes shirt is pretty quiet too. It’s a refined urban kind of denim that other brands have been unable to come close (he tried LP custom and charvet, and neither delivered the right cross of buttoned up and relaxed)

The boots are unlined Edward Greene and I think they are MtM from trunk show at Lefotte. If I could find separate s like these for women, I would buy them. And, mix them with fun, louder pieces from chanel, Hermes, Dior, brunello etc. I have started to buy charvet shirts though. Both chic and a bit sexy (if a white shirt can be sexy; great fit, not over the top :smile:

Last edited:
View attachment 5959034View attachment 5959035
First pic: DH’s Hermes RTW denim shirt, LP pants (MtM pants program: jersey fabric that he got with belt loops). I think he had to get approval bc MtM fabrics are different than bespoke ones.

Second pic: LP sweater and wool felt pants (RTW pants that are so stretchable they are like yoga pants) yet they look like relaxed dress pants

LPs fit is distinctive, and so are the fabrics, but if you aren’t familiar with either, you wouldn’t know. The Hermes shirt is pretty quiet too. It’s a refined urban kind of denim that other brands have been unable to come close (he tried LP custom and charvet, and neither delivered the right cross of buttoned up and relaxed)

The boots are unlined Edward Greene and I think they are MtM from trunk show at Lefotte. If I could find separate s like these for women, I would buy them. And, mix them with fun, louder pieces from chanel, Hermes, Dior, brunello etc. I have started to buy charvet shirts though. Both chic and a bit sexy (if a white shirt can be sexy; great fit, not over the top :smile:
It’s all quiet aside from the zeitwerk. :giggle:

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
View attachment 5959034View attachment 5959035

I like the fit. Does he have a PP and VC watch?

Agree. If a sweater, pants, or dress has a thin stripe of monili (that shiny, bead like, gunmetal colored detail), it costs about 1K plus more than it should and it is Brunello. Brunello also has a very distinctive line of tailored pants; oversized ‘opera sweaters;’ and, close fitting metallic pullovers.

Some of Loro Piana summer women’s rtw oddly looks like table linen prints; fall/winter are super plush, sweeping, cape like, layered things. Some with leather trim. Both are pretty distinctive imo. On the UES, for maybe the past two decades or more, way before Succession, guys wore LP storm system outerwear and Brunello sweaters

ETA:another example is a charvet shirt, a Turnbull shirt, and an Italian shirt (like borelli) are all lux, but in very diff ways. :smile:

I think these brands are only recognizable, much less loud, for their actual customers-- with limited exceptions for things like the LP boat shoes that have come into pop culture. That's for sure still "quiet luxury!" I don't think being recognizable for the .01% only endangers this haha.

All that to say rest assured for the people here wearing LP or Brunello I definitely do not spot you from the crowd except maybe to think "that's a great fitting ___" :smile:

• Haha
Reactions: 880
Iam really NOT into luxury at all. I try to buy things that are suitable for my lifestyle, feel comfortable and are the best possible quality. Some of these overlap with luxury, but I try to avoid all so called ‘luxury’ brands these days. Most are owned by the LVMH conglomerate and are glorified factory produce, with a hefty price tag.

Reactions: Molly0 and S0nia
Iam really NOT into luxury at all. I try to buy things that are suitable for my lifestyle, feel comfortable and are the best possible quality. Some of these overlap with luxury, but I try to avoid all so called ‘luxury’ brands these days. Most are owned by the LVMH conglomerate and are glorified factory produce, with a hefty price tag.
You say you like high-quality items. Luxury brands usually have the best craftsmanship.

Last edited:
I'm surprised such few ppl voted 'loud luxury'.

Before I made this thread I thought logomania was a good look. However I can think of 2 reasons why logomania works against you. #1 Some may think you're wearing fake. #2 Ppl will rob you as you look like you are loaded.

You say you like high-quality items. Luxury brands usually have the best craftsmanship.

Bespoke is the best craftsmanship usually.
Lots of luxury brands sell hype, branding, exclusivity, social positioning rather than quality. The majority actually.

I'm surprised such few ppl voted 'loud luxury'.

So obvious by just looking around. Most people are low key.
But also, who want to invest in a piece so recognizable or so loud that it limits your ability to get your cost per wear?

Reactions: ladysarah