Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

Quiet luxury v. Loud luxury. Which camp are you in?

• Quiet luxury

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • Loud luxury

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Both

Votes: 42 51.2%

• Total voters
I voted for both. While I tend to lean towards fun colors and patterns, often including logos, there are times I turn bags around to avoid having large logo showing and a number of my bags don't have prominent logos at all (Jackie hobo, many Jimm Choo bags, etc.). Fun topic but I liked what @Christofle said best about not liking camping!

Reactions: OCMomof3
social medias obsession with ‘quiet luxury’ has some hilarious interpretations- so I don’t think we are all talking about the same thing. Some of the so called ‘old money’ outfits are straight out of a pantomime wardrobe-nobody wears things like that in real life. Personally I like to choose quality rather than ‘luxury’. Well made clothes that fit me in natural fabrics. They would need to be comfortable and suitable for my lifestyle. Things like my sunglasses and bags usually have some sort of visible logo.
Very few people would actually have the confidence to pay the obscene amounts of money designers charge- for items with no logos or brand recognition behind them.

social medias obsession with ‘quiet luxury’ has some hilarious interpretations- so I don’t think we are all talking about the same thing. Some of the so called ‘old money’ outfits are straight out of a pantomime wardrobe-nobody wears things like that in real life. Personally I like to choose quality rather than ‘luxury’. Well made clothes that fit me in natural fabrics. They would need to be comfortable and suitable for my lifestyle. Things like my sunglasses and bags usually have some sort of visible logo.
Very few people would actually have the confidence to pay the obscene amounts of money designers charge- for items with no logos or brand recognition behind them.
There are ppl who don't want to draw attention, but to still look elegant. For men brands like Brunello Cucinelli fulfils this. And for women I'd say it's the same with The Row.

Reactions: Mariapia and JenJBS
Also, I agree that there's a notable distinction between these three terms - minimalism, quiet luxury and old money.

Yes, this. The former two are personal preferences on lifestyle and aesthetic (in different ways, sometimes they overlap sometimes they don’t) while the latter is a fact; you either grew up with generational wealth or you didn’t.

In response to the poll, I voted “both”. I am careful to purchase items that are quality-made, will tailor my clothes to fit me well, and would never buy anything simply for the social cache the logo carries. On the other hand, I do like a bit of glam and bling, so not everything I own is logoless, it just isn’t emblazoned all over my outfit. I like a good balance of “if you know, you know” items and the “can’t help but be obvious” items (ie a Chanel flap can be spotted a mile away but I would tone down the rest of my outfit).

Reactions: OCMomof3
Is part of the issue age, maybe? When I was younger (under 40) I loved the loud luxury - now (over 50) I feel like I dress/look differently and the quiet luxury is a better choice.
It's entirely individual, but I think people's wardrobe and tastes may change over time.
Age could be a factor. But I'd still say Chanel is timeless for any age.

Age could be a factor. But I'd still say Chanel is timeless for any age.
Oh, absolutely. There’s plenty of exceptions.
Personally, I feel like there’s certain things I wore when I was younger, but my style is different now. I’ve mostly sold the bags that I kept out of sentiment, as they didn’t fit my style and someone else would enjoy them and use them.

• Insightful
Reactions: tinybutterfly
I like louder quiet luxury if that makes sense? No logos and few patterns in my wardrobe but I’ll wear bolder accessories like an Hermès CDC, McQueen skull scarf or Tiffany bone cuff. I got my grail bag a few years ago which was a so black Chanel Reissue (Chevron) which I love the look of but it doesn’t telegraph Chanel the way a CF does.

I feel like there’s such a conflating of terms eg. quiet luxury, minimalism and logos vs no logos. And the whole Succession thing. I was at pre-screening with the showrunners a few months ago and they said for wardrobing some of the billionaires they had consulted with initially said “this show isn’t about me” and then shifted to “Well Axe’s style is loosely based on me” (since his style started to include edgier items like leather jackets and band t-shirts).

Working from home part time has definitely shifted my style so I want better feeling fabrics. A lot of my clothing comes from Vince and because it’s so classic I buy most of it at the outlet at Woodbury Common or on sale online –the styles don’t change that much season to season and so far seem to have resisted doing the thing where they make cheaper clothes just for outlets. I mix in high quality vintage pieces occasionally. I have a Margiela-era Hermès cashmere coat which is basically like walking around in a comfortable bathrobe.

I like louder quiet luxury if that makes sense? No logos and few patterns in my wardrobe but I’ll wear bolder accessories like an Hermès CDC, McQueen skull scarf or Tiffany bone cuff. I got my grail bag a few years ago which was a so black Chanel Reissue (Chevron) which I love the look of but it doesn’t telegraph Chanel the way a CF does.

I feel like there’s such a conflating of terms eg. quiet luxury, minimalism and logos vs no logos. And the whole Succession thing. I was at pre-screening with the showrunners a few months ago and they said for wardrobing some of the billionaires they had consulted with initially said “this show isn’t about me” and then shifted to “Well Axe’s style is loosely based on me” (since his style started to include edgier items like leather jackets and band t-shirts).

Working from home part time has definitely shifted my style so I want better feeling fabrics. A lot of my clothing comes from Vince and because it’s so classic I buy most of it at the outlet at Woodbury Common or on sale online –the styles don’t change that much season to season and so far seem to have resisted doing the thing where they make cheaper clothes just for outlets. I mix in high quality vintage pieces occasionally. I have a Margiela-era Hermès cashmere coat which is basically like walking around in a comfortable bathrobe.
I'd categorise 'louder quiet luxury' as both.

Reactions: renee_nyc