Protecting and Caring for our beloved BEs

I searched this thread and couldn't come up with any info -- I have a Nutmeg tote and wondered how you guys were cleaning the velvet matte leathers? Mine seems to be sucking up dirt/dye -- I've only worn it with super faded jeans and and it still looks like it had denim transfer on it. Can I safely use Apple conditioner (or cleaner) on it to try to get the stains out? I don't have a lot of matte bags for this exact reason but that Nutmeg was just irresistible;)

OH..pls do be super careful with this leather! I performed some tests with the larger swatch I have and the Nutmeg did NOT respond too well!
It sucks up all liquid and the lotions I tried to treat it with dried the leather into something hard and spotty!

This leather is NOT like the regular mattes, it is very porous! The regular mattes can take almost anything..like lotion, sprays and after some wear even rain. But the velvets are different.

(FYI..I love it! Just BEC'd the very last of it and got an Inpire me too)

Denims are bad for many bags, so I hope you can carefully brush some transfer out with one of the special rubber brushes one can use on suedes.

My velvet matte tan WTM Messenger also got very dirty with denim transfer. I had sprayed it before wear so I wiped it with a damp (not wet) cloth and let it dry. Then I wiped it again. I didn't want the leather to get too wet. This worked well although there is a little bit of transfer still trapped in one of the vertical strips of leather. Once it was completely dry, I moisturised with Collonil cream and sprayed it with protectant. The side that rubs against me has got a lovely shine to it now. Before I wear the bag I always spray the side that will rub against my clothes/jeans with protectant spray as this did seem to seal the leather and stop too much dye absorption.

I'll definitely spray my nutmeg bag before I wear it!

I found a perfect treatment for my new Nutmeg MMS midi. I love the color of the Nutmeg leather but I was a bit cautious carrying it because it is a naked leather and it seemed to scuff so easily. I first treated it with LMB which I am sure was good for my bag, however it did not seem to help with the scuffing. I then used Meltonian Leather Lotion and it was wonderful. It conditions the leather without changing the color. It adds a very subtle sheen and my bag no longer scuffs like it did before. Now I feel like I can really "use" my Nutmeg bag. Just thought I'd share this with those of you who love the velvet leathers.

Attachments

• nutmeg treatment 001.jpg
    nutmeg treatment 001.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 117
Hi all! I am a frequent lurker here, and have just purchased my first brand new BE, a Taupe MMS from the Breast Cancer sale!! I've looked in the forum and could not find any info about how to care for the taupe leather. Any tips or info would be helpful! I have some Wilson's TLC (the aerosol spray), but I'm afraid to do anything to the bag without consulting those who are more knowledgeable than I!!!

Thanks!!!

Mama - congratulations on your purchase. Definitely spray the bag with several coats of Wilsons and I would also suggest spraying the lining with Scotchguard.Other than that, you probably don't have to do much else for now. If you pack the bag away for a while, take it out and give it a wipe with a damp cloth and give it some leather cream if it looks dry.

Why don't you do a reveal in the main forum? We love new members and always love new pics!

OK, ladies ... I'm going to do a "reveal" here of how I protected my gray matte Treasure Me that arrived yesterday. It's how I protect ALL of my leather and suede bags. Since this one is brand new, I will do a double treatment. After that, you can do a single annual "maintenance" treatment.

Here are the products I use.

Exterior: For leather and suede (including the trim inside the bag), Wilson's TLC leather protectant. It comes in four different varieties - lotion w/cleaner, wipes, pump spray and an aeorsol spray (that is very difficult to find anymore unless special ordered from a local Wilson's store, if you have one in your area ... they are usually located in malls or shopping centers of outlets; you can also do a search on ebay and buy the aeorsol can spray that way. Not always available - you have to check checking. Also, Wilson's online will often put the pump spray version on sale). My personal preference is the aeorsol spray, followed by the pump spray. Neither one will stain the lining, or change the color or texture of the leather when dry. The lotion does change the color and texture, until the moisture from the cream is totally absorbed, which can take up to a year. I've never personally used the wipes.

Right now, www.wilsonsleather.com has the pump spray and lotion for 50% off and the wipes for $3.60 (usual price is $12.00 so that's really a great deal).

Attachments

• Wipes.jpg
    Wipes.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Pump spray.jpg
    Pump spray.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Lotion.jpg
    Lotion.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 101
  • TLC Carton.jpg
    TLC Carton.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
  • TLC Can.jpg
    TLC Can.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 113
Interior: Scotchguard aerosol spray. You can purchase it in the laundry section of the grocery store. It should be sprayed liberally on the bag interior, including the pockets. I always do the interior first - then do the leather. Not to fret, if you get the Scotchguard on the leather that outlines the zippered pocket, or the top edging, it will NOT stain.

I always try to pull the lining up and out of the bag. If that cannot be done because it's attached on the bottom, then try to turn the bag "inside out". If it's too stiff to do that, then pull it open as far as possible and aim the spray down into the bag as best you can. Be sure to pull out the interior pockets and those pockets on the exterior as well. If you have any Hold Me styles that don't have the interior of the handles leather lined, be sure and spray that really well, because it's more apt to stain from the natural oils on your hands when you carry it (over time).

Once dry (a couple hours), do it a second time. Then annually thereafter, you can reapply once for "maintenance". If by chance you do manage to get stains, after cleaning, you'll need to reapply twice (like on a new bag). It won't completely prevent staining, but it sure does help. I also recommend carrying pens and makeup in separate cases so they can't leak out onto the bag. Vinyl lined cases are preferable.

Attachments

• 1 - Bag w-products.jpg
    1 - Bag w-products.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 2 - Scotchguarding.jpg
    2 - Scotchguarding.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 3 - Scotchguarding 2.jpg
    3 - Scotchguarding 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 104
Exterior: Liberally spray ALL leather (or suede surfaces). Don't worry, it won't stain the lining (which you've already protected with Scotchguard). This includes tassel strands, the BE tags and leather trim on the top edges and surrounding the interior zippered pocket. It also will not hurt the hardware, which you can wipe off with a soft cloth after treating. (If necessary, you can use jewelry cleaner, silver or brass policy to remove spots that may not come off with the soft, damp cloth. I've never had this happen, but if it did, that's what I'd try. Risk Managers are always thinking about the "what ifs" so I've already considered what I'd do and am sharing that "just in case").

The bag will definitely change to a darker color because it's wet. DON'T PANIC. It will dry to normal in a couple hours. It also won't change the texture. If you're using the aerosol spray version, it dries quicker and will start changing back to normal as you're moving to another area (from front to back, etc). Be sure to do the handles, strap well, as these areas tend to stain more easily because they absorb your natural body oils from your hands. There is a product you can get especially for handles from Lovin My Bag. I usually apply this after the TLC treatment is dry. (It's probably "overkill" but I'm an OCD and you can never be too careful).

Hang the bag up somewhere - I use one of my dining room chairs - for a couple hours. Then apply the second coat if it's a new bag. Hang it back up for another couple hours. Once fully dry, you can stuff the inside, stick her in the dust bag and put her in the closet until you're ready to carry her.

You can apply a single treatment annually thereafter for "maintenance". For bags you purchase that are pre-owned, I always clean them inside and out, and then protect like a new bag. If you know the previous owner has treated her, then you can just do the single treatments like an annual maintenance.

Attachments

• 7 - drying 2.jpg
    7 - drying 2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 6 - Drying 1.jpg
    6 - Drying 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 5 - TLC INterior Leather.jpg
    5 - TLC INterior Leather.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 4 - TLC.jpg
    4 - TLC.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 107
Storage: Bags are stored in their dust bags in my closet with stuffing to maintain their shape.

For the first year I purchased BE bags, I tossed the white shipping boxes in which they came. Now I save them all (as you can see from this photo of the shelving unit in my garage). That way, when I "downsize" one to fund another I want more - you know we addicts ALL do that - I've got a BE box to ship to the new owner.

Reverting back to my OCD personality, I also save everything that comes with each bag, including my online receipts, BE notices of order, sending to the atelier, shipping to warehouse from Italy and finally shipping to me, plus if a BEC, a print out of the order and the charge or paypal receipt for payment of the deposit and final balance, in a ziplock bag. On that bag, I write the brand name, style name, leather type and date of acquisition. I do this for each bag. Then, the little baggies are placed in a huge (well, depends on how many of that brand I have) ziplock with the brand written on the front. These bags are stored in plastic storage boxes that I keep on shelves above the washer/dryer in my inside laundry room. That way, I can easily retrieve the baggie for that individual bag, slip it inside the interior prior to sending to her new owner. I keep extras in there as well, like extra tassels, rings, etc.

Attachments

• BE Boxes in garage.jpg
    BE Boxes in garage.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Storage Boxes.jpg
    Storage Boxes.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Storage Bags.jpg
    Storage Bags.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 15 - Storage Ziplock.jpg
    15 - Storage Ziplock.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 107
  • Closet for TPF.jpg
    Closet for TPF.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 114
:coolio:Fixing "boo boos": If I happen to get a leather scratch or scuff ... I treat it with paste shoe polish in a coordinating color - closest match I can find. Don't panic when it's a whole lot darker. It's wet. Once it dries, it will blend in. Then you can reapply a light spray of TLC and voila, no longer noticeable. Hair spray (any variety) on a toothbrush removes ink stains from lining. Once the stain is gone, wipe the area with clear water, let dry and then reapply Scotchguard. You can use leather cleaners from Lovin My Bags (I personally think they are the best, bar none) and fabric cleaner for really tough stains. You can always contact Jackie to see if they will "refurbish" your bag. They've done one for me that I picked up for next to nothing. Lovin My Bags and Avelle also do good refurbishments. When it comes to redying leather, Barbara's husband (Lovin My Bags) is a real artist.

That's it. Hope this was helpful.

Wow, Nunnla, what a great step-by-step you've written here! Thank you! I also love your idea about saving the original packaging and how you store all the receipts and extras like rings, in zip lock baggies- great tip!

One little thing/tip I can add, is I had a Hold Me with fabric lined handles and they had become so grotty I layed them as flat as I could on a towel, then took an upholstery spot cleaner on a tooth brush and scrubbed them, then "rinsed" them in the same manor as best I could it- both the fabric and leather side of the handles, of course, got very dark while wet, and I blotted them dry as best as possible, and they amazingly looked like new when dry, and then I made sure they were ScotchGuarded well after that.

Thank you again for a great post!

So has anyone found anything that works for the matte velvet leathers? I have an olive Treasure Me on its way and already have a nutmeg Tote Me midi which I haven't protected yet as I'm not sure what to use.

Thanks!