Protecting and Caring for our beloved BEs

(This post is continued from the last post on page 12, it went to page 13 when I added this p.s.)

p.s. I should also add this:

BOTANICAL SILK Collection -
Eco friendly cosmetic grade products for ALL leathers - non-darkening.
The Botanical Silk Collection is for those of you who want the very best for your bags and your environment.

Last edited:
so, LoveHandbags, would we be able to safely say the the LMB Miracle shield can work on the up and coming Kissie Bespokes? (both chocolate and kiwi). Since they are going to be handled frequently and tossed into larger bags? I am planning on getting some for my pebbled leather but would get a bigger size if I can multi-use it

Great question Arielsdream. I only used it on my Matte leather.

Ironically, I have been exchanging emails with Barbara from Lovin My Bags regarding the glossy and sheen leathers. She wrote me back a couple days ago and said we should talk on the phone, so I just needed a moment to call her and will try to do that today.

The glossy and sheens are more tricky I think. I will see what she says. I also want to ask Jackie and everyone here what they have done in the past.

And I believe that I have read on this thread that with Pewter Crash, Jackie has said to not use anything on it, but that was a few months ago and I need to go back and reread to make certain that is correct.

I will post back when I know more!:balloon:

Just received confirmation on the Metallics such as Pewter Crash that the above is correct, Jackie recommends that we do not treat a Metallic.

Will post back when I have more info ont he Sheens and Glossy.

My pleasure Arielsdream! I have a call in to Barbara at LMB, so when she calls me back, I will post again.

Also, just in case you have not read about it, and because you seem to be pro-active with caring for your upcoming BE handbags, do you know about throwing on a coat of clear nail polish over the crystals on the tags to help prevent losing one? It works like a charm! Also in a thread of mine I gave some details about how I repaired one when I did lose a crystal. (This was before I knew the clear nail polish trick, since using the polish I have not lost one.)

Click here for more details :smile: if it interests you:
http://forum.purseblog.com/belen-ec...ns-of-a-belenista-my-first-reveal-560112.html

^^^Barbara and I were never able to connect on the phone, but over email she did tell agreed that the glossy and sheens are tricky.

Here are some fabulous suggestions on care from our dear pf'er Nunnla, I will cut and paste what she posted on another thread:

"I always treat my bags with a double treatment of Wilson's TLC pump spray leather protectant when new (a single treatment annually thereafter). I spray the interior with scotch guard (which you can find in the grocery aisle of the supermarket). Although this won't prevent scratches, scuffs, water spots or stains, it sure does make a HUGE difference in how well the bag endures normal wear and tear. Even the ones I regular carry, for the most part, still look new."

"Another tip ... I always keep my pens capped but just in case, they are also inside a zippered pouch. So I don't usually get pen marks on the lining of my bags but I have purchased pre-owned ones on ebay that did have them. To remove ink stains from lining, spray a little hair spray on a toothbrush (brand of hairspray doesn't matter). Use circular motions and scrub the stain. Then use a laundry fabric cleaner like Spray N Wash, followed by cool water; viola, it's gone. Lexie 2000 shared that tip with me. I used that on a Kooba Mocha Renee (the ultrasuede lining) that was covered with ink marks and it took every one of them out. I still have that bag - she's a "classic". I also use paste shoe polish on scuffs, scratches to cover and blend in with the surrounding leather, then treat with TLC. Works wonders. E-bay seller, EllaReese (specializing in Coach and Dooney, although she's been inactive for a while) is a friend of mine and taught me that tip. For "refurbishment", you just cannot beat Barbara and Gary at Lovin My Bag. Gary is a wizard at matching leather stains/dyes. They redid a baby's behind soft purple leather Gucci Hysteria Top Handle Tote for me that I got from Avelle for $300. They charged me $285 to refurbish it and it looks new. The retail price on that bag is close to $2,000."

I always treat the glossies and sheens with Classic leather lotion when needed. Some of the sheens tend to get dry on the corners and perhaps loose a little lustre when used in rain or hard weather conditions..also too much in the sun will dry them out.

Also the glossies..though more hardwearing.. need to get a little moisture to stay supple..IMO...they could do without for the most of time, but I'm not so careful with my bags, so I feel guilty , and therefore give them a bit of care, when they are stored away for some time ;)

I found a product that responded very well with my Wine TME Midi. This product truly enhanced the beautiful Belen Echandia leather, both in look, feel and in scent. All of which were of great importance to me. Many products stated unscented but really still had a scent. I felt that this conditioner only enhanced the BE scent rather than putting in it's own smell. Even as I confirm and sniff it once more as I type this...... yup, just yummy BE scent.

A cobbler in our area that I trust very much had recommended it to me, and so on the back of the messenger strap I tried it and liked it very much, so I continued with the entire handbag.

It is called Leather Balm and the website is: http://www.leathercoatings.com/dress.htm
From the bottle it looks like they are based in Dallas, Texas.

I am sure there are many products that could work, but this is what worked for me. Ask your neighborhood cobbler if you have one, they have such a talent for leathers, what a craft!

Afterspa006.jpg

Afterspa003.jpg

I am considering purchasing some collonil spray for when I do travel outside of AZ and may be subject to rain.... is it ok to apply after you've already moisturized the bag previously?? I have applied LMB botanical silk moisturizer to my pebbled RM about every other month or so.

I searched this thread and couldn't come up with any info -- I have a Nutmeg tote and wondered how you guys were cleaning the velvet matte leathers? Mine seems to be sucking up dirt/dye -- I've only worn it with super faded jeans and and it still looks like it had denim transfer on it. Can I safely use Apple conditioner (or cleaner) on it to try to get the stains out? I don't have a lot of matte bags for this exact reason but that Nutmeg was just irresistible;)