Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

Fact check...in 2015 Asian American artists objected to the originally planned New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players production of The Mikado.

At the time actress Erin Quill explained "the execution of any production that allows exaggerated makeup, inaccurate costuming, and mockery of Asian people is not, in this day and age ...acceptable....We, the Asian Americans, do not want to 'take away' your precious Mikado - we want you to do better. We want you to stop constantly mocking us and telling us by your actions and deeds that Yellowface remains part of your theatrical lexicon. We want you to make any production of it, smarter, less full of stereotypes - more full of the respect G&S were trying for."

NYGASP promised "We are listening to the response we have received. The Executive Committee of the Board is meeting to discuss a strategy and policy going forward."

As a result the reworked production premiered at The Kaye Playhouse in New York in January 2017, representing "a great deal of work between NYGASP and the Asian-American theatrical community in New York; and serves an example of a cooperative effort to promote diversity, equity and inclusive practice with classic works of art. From the advisory committee to the creative team, the production is a wonderful result of people listening to each other and working through problems and differences."

You can also see photos and video from the more recent 2019 performance at the English National Opera
It looks awful. I have been to productions of the G&S Players in NYC. They ran scared. G&S must be rolling in their graves.

Maybe Harry doesn’t care about crossing that line because he has already done so in the book…

anything for a buck, hey Haz…?
Kylie Jenner Good Job GIF by E!

Maybe Harry doesn’t care about crossing that line because he has already done so in the book…

anything for a buck, hey Haz…?
Kylie Jenner Good Job GIF by E!

Did this person (I still don't get how someone claiming to be a serious journalist has a Twitter handle fangirling over some obscure actress) not say just a few days ago advanced copies were being controlled and they couldn't get one?

Poor Charles, though. How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.

Did this person (I still don't get how someone claiming to be a serious journalist has a Twitter handle fangirling over some obscure actress) not say just a few days ago advanced copies were being controlled and they couldn't get one?

Poor Charles, though. How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.

Gossip from a person who has read it apparently.

If he does not renounce the "award" he will not be at the coronation. How can you call an institution racist and then expect to attend the ceremony celebrating it and its leader?
They are such narcissistic ninnies I wouldn’t be surprised if Harry and TW tried to sell some cockamamie rationalization that participation by them in the Coronation would be beneficial for the King.

Also funny, as no one really cared about Zedzed’s “voice” prior to Sparry, but don’t tell her that!
But... but she was a global activitist, a famous humanitarian, a leading feminist, a SUPER model! Allegedly....

I remember that when they first left the UK it was mentioned some pieces of jewelry that weren't hers were missing, but no specifics and it never grew into some big scandal (possibly because the BRF isn't interested in that kind of press and can deal with a few lost baubles...I can almost guarantee they never loaned her big pieces aside from the tiara which would have gone back into the vault right after the wedding).
I was under the impression that she took off with pieces of Di's jewellery which Sparry took from his aunts and gave her. And that there was no demand for the return because it was murky whether or not she had to return the items to their custody. But there were stories later that the aquamarine ring and the earrings were copies and not the originals, so it's confusing. Why would anyone have copies made? Cosplay accessories?

We must be coming up to MM’s Marriott speech. Any bets on her outfit? A caped dress? Tiara ? (lol)
I had forgotten :smile:.

Looks like they still have availability :wondering:

Check the comments :faint:
Meghan Markle, the duchess of Sussex, is scheduled to participate in a Women’s Fund of Central Indiana event on Nov. 29.

Billed as “The Power of Women: An Evening with Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex,” the benefit will support the Women’s Fund mission to invest in the lives of women and girls in central Indiana.

“Women’s Fund of Central Indiana believes in the force of women’s voices, women’s experiences and women’s work,” said Tavonna Harris Askew, advisory board chair, in a written statement. “We know that Meghan, the duchess of Sussex does, too. We are honored that she will join us on this special evening to celebrate our common cause—the power of women.”

Markle, who married Prince Harry in 2018, grew up in the United States and acted in the cast of USA Network series “Suits” from 2011 to 2018. She and Prince Harry stepped down as British senior royals in 2020.

Rabbi Sandy Sasso will serve as moderator for the event at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, 350 W. Maryland St. Tables for 10 attendees are available for $5,000. For more information, visit womensfund.org.

The Women’s Fund, a special interest fund of Central Indiana Community Foundation, invited 20 high school students to attend the event as guests representing their communities.

In 2018, Michelle ***** participated in a Women’s Fund of Central Indiana event at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.

Well. (2nd slide)

This has got to be a troll. There’s no way she’d run as an elephant. Also storming into Britain and smashing up the monarchy? F1 don’t threaten me with a good time and 2 She didn’t even name Piers Moron as someone she has Twitter beef with- hardly an iconoclast.
Imo, it has nothing to do with Dufus, ZedZed has always considered herself far superior and worth more than others.
See Kate Winslet uttering ZedZed's maxim below.

I thought it was L’oreal and M borrows it as a ‘sweet nod’

We heard a very important and significant message from Lady Colin Campbell this week on her latest update with regards to the #Ripple of Hope awards in New York in December. She has been speaking to someone who loves and knows Harry and she has feedback that Harry is aware of the implications of turning up to the #rippleofhope awards with Meghan. By doing so he is practically denouncing his family as serving Royals and as being structurally racist and sends a clear message out there, he and his grifting ,troublemaking wife are endorsing everything Kerry Kennedy is saying in her attempts to trash our precious institution which has stood strong for over 1000 years.Lady C said the Royal family will be watching to see if he does attend the event to receive the award . If he is stupid enough to go then the message Lady C was delivering was very clear.There will absolutely be no way back for Harry into the Royal fold. That will be it.Done. Finished. The drawbridge will be pulled up from over the river . Or will he wisely choose not to attend and just feign illness? We will all just have to wait and see how stupid and easily led he chooses to be this time.

I don’t care about this ceremony and I dunno how many more chances they are going to give the prodigal son but I thought Lady C was wearing a moto jacket with that Pearl necklace for a second and I think that would be an extremely fire fit for her.
Off topic:
This is one of my favorite G&S pieces and the woke folks have deemed it politically inappropriate. No one wants to perform it now out of fear. How sad is that? I saw it last with costumes borrowed from the Santa Fe Opera Company and it was splendid!

Fact check...in 2015 Asian American artists objected to the originally planned New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players production of The Mikado.

At the time actress Erin Quill explained "the execution of any production that allows exaggerated makeup, inaccurate costuming, and mockery of Asian people is not, in this day and age ...acceptable....We, the Asian Americans, do not want to 'take away' your precious Mikado - we want you to do better. We want you to stop constantly mocking us and telling us by your actions and deeds that Yellowface remains part of your theatrical lexicon. We want you to make any production of it, smarter, less full of stereotypes - more full of the respect G&S were trying for."

NYGASP promised "We are listening to the response we have received. The Executive Committee of the Board is meeting to discuss a strategy and policy going forward."

As a result the reworked production premiered at The Kaye Playhouse in New York in January 2017, representing "a great deal of work between NYGASP and the Asian-American theatrical community in New York; and serves an example of a cooperative effort to promote diversity, equity and inclusive practice with classic works of art. From the advisory committee to the creative team, the production is a wonderful result of people listening to each other and working through problems and differences."

You can also see photos and video from the more recent 2019 performance at the English National Opera
I think Erin Quill takes a valid point they shouldn’t be inserting extra characters to make cringey karate jokes but then it becomes a bit obvious she just doesn’t like the mikado - I mean one of her arguments is actually the writing isn’t as good as Hamilton or school of rock? Seems like an objective criticism.

She’s also a bit unrealistic about the limitations of repertory productions- you can’t just recast the whole ensemble, get all new costumes and staging and get the production turned around on the tight budget and time frame.

This is why I think it’d be a great choice for a movie musical because you can cast all Asian performers more easily as it’s a one off production in a shorter time frame and they can get some big name Asian actors in as let’s be honest, Star power and marketing is more important than pure singing ability in many movie musicals (cough Eddie Redmayne Kermit voice cough cough Russel Crowe massacring my boy cough)

Gilbert and Sullivan like many Edwardians - were both engaged with and using the then new craze for all things Japanese but it’s not meant to be realistic Japan.It’s no more a literal translation than a Van Gogh painting is of Ukiyo-e print. In fact it’s more fantastical and obviously divorced than even post-impressionism.

Jonathan miller’s whole shtick is the monochrome minimalism thing but to me it does take away from both the beauty and the camp of the production (and it’s kind of like overdone.) there’s something unique lost when it’s just another western dress adaption to me. I don’t think even Edwardians thought it was real Japan- the lyrics make that obvious. It’s like thinking Summerisle or Wakanda are real places. Though actually maybe strangers shouldn’t ask too many questions in very rural British villages :graucho:

I actually love that Twitter name - I think the last thing you want is something guessable.

The king Lear quote is great because I think he’s a spiteful moron who just drags poor Cordelia and other innocents down with him.
But... but she was a global activitist, a famous humanitarian, a leading feminist, a SUPER model! Allegedly....

I was under the impression that she took off with pieces of Di's jewellery which Sparry took from his aunts and gave her. And that there was no demand for the return because it was murky whether or not she had to return the items to their custody. But there were stories later that the aquamarine ring and the earrings were copies and not the originals, so it's confusing. Why would anyone have copies made? Cosplay accessories?
If I have learnt anything from Jeeves & Wooster it’s that you need to have paste copies if you’ve got an idiot nephew and the Spencers certainly have one of those.
We must be coming up to MM’s Marriott speech. Any bets on her outfit? A caped dress? Tiara ? (lol)
10BE203E-C846-47BA-BC42-49A8D6E4CCB7.jpeg

Last edited:

I think Barkjack explained on another SM platform that the Megastans engineered the shut down of their original Twitter account, so they've been using this fangirl account ever since. It sounds possible since we know in the past they were going after people who didn't support their kween.