Presto! Do-it yourself Mama Fixes Sealant Issue

oopsididitagain

»â”€â”€â™¥â”€â”€>
O.G.
Feb 5, 2008
I ordered Fiebing's Edge Kote off of *bay in the brown color. I needed it for a belt I have with edge sealant peeling issues. However, I have a legacy walnut hippie bag that had a small area that wasn't exactly peeling, but Coach put the sealant very thinly there and I wanted to touch it up. I am most happy to report that it works wonderfully! Oh my, like it's the perfect color-match as well!
Okay, here's the BEFORE pic. The sealant issue in question is circled with a red circle.
P2073831.jpg

and AFTER~ lookin' gooooood!:okay:
IMG_4400Small.jpg

It's not completely dry yet but I couldn't wait to show you all, it's fabulous!:nuts: It says on the bottle that it will dry to a matte finish but it can be rubbed gently with a soft cloth later on and it will buff to a gloss finish. I applied it with a toothpick. The bottle holds way more than I'll ever need. When it gets on my fingers, it's very hard to get off!:true:
I guess that means it will stick good to the purse.:yes:

Wow! :nuts::tup::urock::woot::ps:It looks absolutely fabulous. It's so much better than trying to send it into Coach and have them try to repair the sealant. In my case, I was glad I did because I got full credit, but now I want to preserve my existing bags, I'd love a bottle of this as backup.

BTW, how much is this stuff?

Thanks for sharing that brilliant new find!

Thank you for the price quote! For $8 a bottle, it saves waiting 8 weeks for Coach to reply. You did a fabulous job. If you didn't tell us about this stuff, you could have started a business fixing older Legacy bags with sealant issues ($20 a repair) and make enough in one day to buy a new legacy (at FP) bag per bottle.

Thank you for the price quote! For $8 a bottle, it saves waiting 8 weeks for Coach to reply. You did a fabulous job. If you didn't tell us about this stuff, you could have started a business fixing older Legacy bags with sealant issues ($20 a repair) and make enough in one day to buy a new legacy (at FP) bag per bottle.
LOL! Darn, no wonder I never get ahead! :shrugs:
I am happy to share this news, however! I wish it came in more colors but it comes in only black, brown and mahogany (reddish brown).
I'm glad you like my story T-Girl, and all others who replied. :smile:

I ordered Fiebing's Edge Kote off of *bay in the brown color. I needed it for a belt I have with edge sealant peeling issues. However, I have a legacy walnut hippie bag that had a small area that wasn't exactly peeling, but Coach put the sealant very thinly there and I wanted to touch it up. I am most happy to report that it works wonderfully! Oh my, like it's the perfect color-match as well!
Okay, here's the BEFORE pic. The sealant issue in question is circled with a red circle.
P2073831.jpg

and AFTER~ lookin' gooooood!:okay:
IMG_4400Small.jpg

It's not completely dry yet but I couldn't wait to show you all, it's fabulous!:nuts: It says on the bottle that it will dry to a matte finish but it can be rubbed gently with a soft cloth later on and it will buff to a gloss finish. I applied it with a toothpick. The bottle holds way more than I'll ever need. When it gets on my fingers, it's very hard to get off!:true:
I guess that means it will stick good to the purse.:yes:
Did you feel the need to thin it out and maybe put on a few more layers? I know it looks like it protrudes out from the side and doesn't lay flat, do you think that will matter?:shrugs:

Did you feel the need to thin it out and maybe put on a few more layers? I know it looks like it protrudes out from the side and doesn't lay flat, do you think that will matter?:shrugs:
It looks like the other side, I guess it protrudes already before I did anything. It is one thin coat, I put very little on my toothpick.
I know that when I paint my fingernails with polish I put a thin layer then the next day put another coat. That makes sense, then it will dry better and harder.

LOL! Darn, no wonder I never get ahead! :shrugs:
I am happy to share this news, however! I wish it came in more colors but it comes in only black, brown and mahogany (reddish brown).
I'm glad you like my story T-Girl, and all others who replied. :smile:

This is wonderful news you're sharing with us, Oops. For myself, I really appreciate it. :hugs:

I hate being at the mercy of sending my bags to Coach if/when there is a heat sealant issue and there are no other options available. As the older 2007 Legacy bags thin out at outlets and eBay, sendings the bags in for repair could mean losing the bags altogether or just hoping and waiting and not knowing what they're doing to our precious baby(s) at their hands. :sweatdrop:

Since I've read some unsettling stories (returning the bag, untouched, and a letter that states it's been fixed or no credit for the effort), I'd feel happier taking control and fixing them myself. This stuff looks like it is exactly what we need for these heat sealant issues. I guess the limited colour choices available would work well for the heat sealant issues on the classic Legacy bags and not for other newer coloured bags that have recently come out (e.g., bright-coloured patent bags).

I am definitely bookmarking this thread so I can go and try to find this stuff and hope they can send it to Canada and not charge us Canucks an arm or a leg for the privilege of getting some.

Thanks again, Oops! I appreciate your generosity in sharing this information with the rest of us--free of charge. ;)