Parisians and Chanel?

Goodness the thieves have a plethora of tricks!

It's really hard these days in Paris, I was walking around with my Chanel woc when some old man told me o beware they lurk around (be wary of Romanians they are the mafia round here), they can be very bad.
I am Asian so although I speak the native language and have been living for nearly forever in a French speaking country I have to be extra cautious.
I have bought an inside bag that can be attached inside the bag to store.
I usually place my wallet there.
I would recommend any lady shopping at Chanel to ask a voiturier to fetch a cab.
Be careful as I have heard from some boss at my work that some follow the cab and steal bags by breaking the windows.
Asian tourists are a must.
Paris is a very dirty and dangerous city, I don't recommend it to the faint hearted.
I was in Paris for work less than 2 weeks ago and had a very different experience. Perhaps being a native New Yorker gives me a different perspective. I hadn't been to Paris for 18 years and I still think it's a beautiful clean city. everyone was very gracious. I saw one piece of litter the whole week. I took the metro several times a day everyday. I wore my Chanel mini cross body every evening and never felt threatened.

Went to Paris last year, beautiful city. Never felt unsafe. I understand big cites tend to have pickpockets. I didn't act any different from the way I act in Montreal, where I am from. It wasn't dirtier than any big cities, with the occasional dog poop on the sidewalk LOL! Food was great and architecture amazing!

I was in Paris for work less than 2 weeks ago and had a very different experience. Perhaps being a native New Yorker gives me a different perspective. I hadn't been to Paris for 18 years and I still think it's a beautiful clean city. everyone was very gracious. I saw one piece of litter the whole week. I took the metro several times a day everyday. I wore my Chanel mini cross body every evening and never felt threatened.
Well I work at Concorde and i'm asian, every lunch i cook bentos for my bf and me and we go and eat at Tuileries, it's super romantic bu we always get annoyed and pushed a little by those rom people (he's french though so he knows those type of guys). :sad:
I find the metro to be extremely dirty, over heated usually and people aggressive...and so agree most people I work with who are French about the metro and the dirtiness.
I love Paris don't get me wrong, but I can't stand the way they will throw away used stuff on the streets or let their dogs poo everywhere (I live in Le Marais plenty of dirty streets there).
I seriously would love it if they cared just a tiny wee bit more.
Otherwise food is great, wine is great, clothes are great and i love my bf. ;)

There is definitely a dark side to Paris. We were approached once in the metro ( yes, it's dirty) by an unkempt French guy (almost everyone dresses well in Paris)" do you know the way to Eiffel tower?" We were holding maps and the guide book about Paris. We were taken aback and just shook our heads. He continued asking us questions but we moved away from him.

My friend has a worse encounter in the metro too. This happened MANY years ago. She was with her family and went crazy on branded bags shopping so her dad was carrying many shopping bags. As they were about to get on the train, her dad was forcibly stopped by 2 guys, holding on to his arms and the whole family panicked & screamed. Nobody helped at all. Luckily, her dad somehow managed to break free in time to get onto the train :shocked:

voguekitty said:

I think being a New Yorker def help us in traveling. I didn't find Paris subway was dirtier than NY's...def more door poops tho...lol

I went paris for 3 days in october. Saw two birkins but they look like tourist to me. Chanels were carried by mostly tourists too.

Metro was my main transport. And i did not spot a single hermes/chanel on the train at all. I reckon these "daredevils" take the cab everywhere they go... i think you require some sort of guts to carry chanel/hermes in paris since the pickpockets situation is quite bad. Sometimes i am not so worry they pickpocket but more worried if they intend to follow you.

The taxi queue outside lafayette is very long during sat nights. I waited for 30-45mins at least and its my only taxi ride because i had a huge paperbag of celine and several other brands.

i just wanted to add...it does take some kind of street smart to travel in big cities like paris and NYC. if you look like a tourist and act like a tourist...you make yourself stand out. the pick pockets really have a gift so they really go after certain kinds of people.

about robbing people in the subway...wow..that's insane.

one thing i've noticed. in NYC...i can put my bag down on the side walk cafe or any outdoor space...usually it's safe. but as someone from asia, i know it's extremely unsafe to leave your bag on your side or the back of your chair. i wonder why it's not common in the US. things like that.....it's something already in me and i just know...and i don't need to tie my bag in front of my chest to feel safe (yes..i've seen it..)

Great thread.
I have been to Paris many times & I love it. Regarding bags & fashion, I find that Paris is similar to NY: You see high end, low end & in between depending on the neighborhoods/arrondissements you are in.

There are many Romanian beggars around - some begging you for money and some asking if you speak English (to which you should just walk away!!!) before they start asking you to donate to some mute/dumb charity. … Also watch out for groups of young children coming to you because some of them will distract you and the others will start pickpocketing. Always be vigilant, Paris has its dark side.

I have been harassed by “Romanian beggars”, who are also known as Gypsies. A group of about 6 Gypsy children surrounded me in the metro, 2 in front of me tried to distract me, while 2 standing next to me took a magazine, put it on top of my bag & tried to rob my bag (& 2 more stood on the perimeter as "look outs"). Well, as a native NYer, I screamed at them at the top of my lungs & cursed them out in English, as in “Get the F*** off of me”, etc, etc & they scattered. Classy, huh?! :P Anyway, point is that if these types approach you, do not be afraid to unleash your inner *****: yell & curse in your native language & they often run away because they see that you will not be an easy victim.

We were approached once in the metro by an unkempt French guy (almost everyone dresses well in Paris)" do you know the way to Eiffel tower?" We were holding maps and the guide book about Paris….He continued asking us questions but we moved away from him.
I’ve had this kinda thing happen too. Gave the guy a nasty look and quickly walked away in disgust & anger (unleashed my silent inner ***** :biggrin:).

Do not hold guide books or cameras that make you look like a tourist. Walk the streets as if you know where you're going, even if you don't.

Paris is a great city & it’s pretty safe. Like any big city, just be aware of your surroundings.

I heard too many horror stories with pickpockets, scammers etc abt paris (and europe in general) so I always very very careful and paranoid about my stuffs. Not to scare anyone in this thread but you really need to be careful especially when you finished shopping and hold many shopping bags - not only you're distracted from protecting your purse, it's also a clear statement for the pickpockets that you have a lot of money. Most SAs in Chanel and Hermes told me to be careful about my stuffs. One SA in Hermes store even told me to be careful INSIDE the store.
One of my friends told me Asian tourists normally become the target as they tend to bring a lot of cash. not sure if this true but I know a friend of mine was recently lost her wallet with approximately $30k cash in it. She wanted to get H bags and want to save some money from the credit card conversions.
Ok now back to the topic, I found that most native Parisians wear vintage and unique Chanel pieces (which I love), while the ones wearing newer and up-to-date pieces are mostly tourists. Not sure if it's just me who feel that way!

I heard too many horror stories with pickpockets, scammers etc abt paris (and europe in general) so I always very very careful and paranoid about my stuffs. Not to scare anyone in this thread but you really need to be careful especially when you finished shopping and hold many shopping bags - not only you're distracted from protecting your purse, it's also a clear statement for the pickpockets that you have a lot of money. Most SAs in Chanel and Hermes told me to be careful about my stuffs. One SA in Hermes store even told me to be careful INSIDE the store.
One of my friends told me Asian tourists normally become the target as they tend to bring a lot of cash. not sure if this true but I know a friend of mine was recently lost her wallet with approximately $30k cash in it. She wanted to get H bags and want to save some money from the credit card conversions.
Ok now back to the topic, I found that most native Parisians wear vintage and unique Chanel pieces (which I love), while the ones wearing newer and up-to-date pieces are mostly tourists. Not sure if it's just me who feel that way!

oh dear. i am going to CRY for a few days and probably goes into depression if i lost my wallet with $30k cash!! thats years of hard-earn money!

i seem to see more bal. maybe because bal is more low-profile. bag sightings more common at champ elysees area.

glad i am back from paris already. i hold the map all the time because the metro lines are SOOOO confusing. but anyway i look like a tourist, because i am an asian, so i think i didnt need to pretend. i made my boyfriend look out for the surroundings while i made a quick glance to check out the shortest metro route to go. i had more problems in amsterdam though.

oh dear. i am going to CRY for a few days and probably goes into depression if i lost my wallet with $30k cash!! thats years of hard-earn money!

i seem to see more bal. maybe because bal is more low-profile. bag sightings more common at champ elysees area.

glad i am back from paris already. i hold the map all the time because the metro lines are SOOOO confusing. but anyway i look like a tourist, because i am an asian, so i think i didnt need to pretend. i made my boyfriend look out for the surroundings while i made a quick glance to check out the shortest metro route to go. i had more problems in amsterdam though.
Yeah $30k is indeed a lot of money, it's just crazy to bring that much in one wallet! It's a lesson for us all not to place all of our cash in one wallet, and if you wanna buy something expensive better use credit card. Credit card conversion can be a lot if you buy something expensive, but it's safer.

Speaking of which yesterday, a rom stole my Chanel wallet and my iPhone. Am so gutted, I was sending a text, he ran by and stole them from my hands, and pushed me.

Thankfully I erased all of ny dates on my iPhone, gutted about my wallet, I loved it.

Hanae said:
Speaking of which yesterday, a rom stole my Chanel wallet and my iPhone. Am so gutted, I was sending a text, he ran by and stole them from my hands, and pushed me.

Thankfully I erased all of ny dates on my iPhone, gutted about my wallet, I loved it.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I felt little uncomfortable while visiting Paris but felt more secure in England. However there were those Rom. Beggars every where begging for money but they weren't so aggressive in England.

I visited paris this year and return relatively unscathed. I am asian, so it is no use pretending I'm not a tourist. but I chose to dress pretty low-key and be as self-reliant as possible. I use an anti-thief bag (not just for paris, I was in Italy before that) and in fact I don't even carry a wallet on my person. I used credit cards for my luxury purchases. As much as possible I go cashless. I bought a 2 day metro pass and pretty much use it to get everywhere - and this also gave me some allowance to make mistakes without paying for another ticket.

My advice to people visiting Paris and planning to do a lot of shopping - either use the concierge offered by the boutiques or take a cab back to your hotel with your purchases. Where pickpockets are concerned, the key is not to make yourself an easy target (leaving your wallet in your pocket, leaving your bag unguarded, taking time to respond to strangers who approach you)

I find using a non-script slingbag the most helpful accessory through my trip - I was able to go hands free and instead of slinging over a chair, I just place it in my lap (strap still around my body) Hope this info helps for would be paris tourist :smile: