Parisians and Chanel?

When i was in Paris earlier this year, i saw a lot of LVs and long champs, nearly every 2nd girl that i passed had a long champ with a nice scarf!!! I dunno, but I thought a lot of them have lovely handbags, no matter what the brand was...

When i was in Paris earlier this year, i saw a lot of LVs and long champs, nearly every 2nd girl that i passed had a long champ with a nice scarf!!! I dunno, but I thought a lot of them have lovely handbags, no matter what the brand was...

I figure I should throw my two cents in since I've learned so much from this thread (thanks everyone!)

Spent 3 weeks in Paris back in May and I did do a lot of people watching since I spent most of that time after the initial tourist-sight-seeing rush just sitting in cafes or shopping. A LOT of longchamp pliages to the point where I wandered into a store to see if I wanted one but nylon bags are just not for me. But certainly they were popular with many younger women and usually in darker colours as well despite the spring weather.

Saw a surprising number of chanel. The chanels were the classic flaps and usually worn by women in their late 20's or older or on japanese tourists. Disappointed not to see the new chanel Boy Bags on the street even though the saleslady assured me that they were quite popular.

For LV, lots of speedys in the monogram and damier azure pattern - the bigger more "obvious" monogram bags were usually carried by people who were clearly tourists. I do agree with previous comments that monogram LV's carried by french women tend to look 'well-loved' in a very chic way rather than brand spanking new. I remember being surprised that I didn't see more Epi's since I read that Parisian women prefer them because that pattern isn't so obviously "branded". Besides monogram and damier, the next most popular appeared to be the leather Mahina.

Other than that, i didn't notice many other high end brands like Prada or Hermes or Balenciaga. They were available to buy however and perhaps only came out at night in restaurants or at the opera. Didn't see many Marc Jacobs either and no Michael Kors or Coach which is so popular here in Canada. Many of the younger women seemed to carry lovely leather bags that were not clearly branded although they very well might have been Darel or some other mid-level brand.

I also note that many women were carrying mid-sized to larger handbags, either cross body or under the arm. Not many hand held ones (except speedys of course) and no clutches. That may be a trend thing however rather than a cultural thing.

I'm heading back in January so am looking forward to seeing if there's any change style-wise! ;)

Just visited last month and agree that I saw longchamp everywhere! I finally went in to the store on Rue Saint-Honoré just to see if there's anything I would like for me or even my mom, but no, I don't get the obsession. It is very practical though.

Most of the birkins and Chanels were carried by tourists...

Agree. I was given a chanel shopping bag 3 times the size of the bag I bought and I was about to board the metro when there when a girl attempted to pick pocket me. It was a brazen attempt and she was scared away by another passenger who started to scream at her.

wow thats scary. any idea if she looks local?
me and SO are carrying 3 big LV bags taking the metro 2yrs back when i first went Paris. thats like ard 10pm and seem to be pretty attention seeking but luckily no one come n disturb us. becoz stuffs r in box, it will be tough to get them out

I went to Paris the first week of October and everyone had a Longchamp bag. I looked at the store in the airport but I don't see the big deal. I went to Chanel at 31 rue Cambon and everyone was a tourist. Same thing at Louis Vuitton. I thought I would see more Chanel but it was the tourist people who had Chanel bags. Everyone did seem to have a cross body bag.

I went to Paris the first week of October and everyone had a Longchamp bag. I looked at the store in the airport but I don't see the big deal. I went to Chanel at 31 rue Cambon and everyone was a tourist. Same thing at Louis Vuitton. I thought I would see more Chanel but it was the tourist people who had Chanel bags. Everyone did seem to have a cross body bag.

For tourists, i think it might be a matter of convenience / safety. Personally, I chose to bring a cross body bag so that it's easier to carry that an 'under the shoulder' bag and it feels a bit safer pick pocket-wise since it's in front of your body and I can rest my hand over it for extra protection when on the metro or something. I think for locals, it might be a trend thing ... or maybe it was for the same reasons as tourists carried them :smile:

Rikko_8 said:
For tourists, i think it might be a matter of convenience / safety. Personally, I chose to bring a cross body bag so that it's easier to carry that an 'under the shoulder' bag and it feels a bit safer pick pocket-wise since it's in front of your body and I can rest my hand over it for extra protection when on the metro or something. I think for locals, it might be a trend thing ... or maybe it was for the same reasons as tourists carried them :smile:

Oh I def agree. I had a cross body bag myself and I was glad i had it. It seemed easier to have your hands free and a little at ease with the pick pick pockets. I took two with me and they came in handy. Especially at the airport with having your hands tied up.

My mom says the reason Chanels are good to carry around because at least they have an interwoven metal chain so a thief cannot just slice the straps apart and steal it.

:nogood:
they dont do via straps
they cut the front or back of the bag. happened to my mum
but yr mum is kinda right for the flap bag since its pretty thick from the front... but not as thick from the back...

or they just grab n run!!!!
isnt it faster than slicing straps???

i bring my Prada over on 2nd trip because i can wear it on my side n then hook it up on my hands (handles). 1st trip i use longchamp n i have another DIY sewing becoz i'm so worried abt pickpockets!

I spent the last two summers in Paris; I miss it terribly. I love the style of the French women. I noticed many carried Longchamp, Chanel classic flaps or Chanel Boy and many Hermes Bolides, Kellys and Victorias. Dior bags were also quite popular with the women I observed. Even when carrying a bag of unknown label, the leather always looked beautiful.

Luccibag, you are right I noticed the same too,I didn't see Parisian Carry fake bag (or any designer bag with monogram), people smoke almost everywhere you go. When I saw a person with designer bags would be tourists. One thing I notice about Parisian women, they accessorize with scarf a lot.

Smoking is how they stay so darn skinny!! :smile: