Parisians and Chanel?

Goodness the thieves have a plethora of tricks!

It's really hard these days in Paris, I was walking around with my Chanel woc when some old man told me o beware they lurk around (be wary of Romanians they are the mafia round here), they can be very bad.
I am Asian so although I speak the native language and have been living for nearly forever in a French speaking country I have to be extra cautious.
I have bought an inside bag that can be attached inside the bag to store.
I usually place my wallet there.
I would recommend any lady shopping at Chanel to ask a voiturier to fetch a cab.
Be careful as I have heard from some boss at my work that some follow the cab and steal bags by breaking the windows.
Asian tourists are a must.
Paris is a very dirty and dangerous city, I don't recommend it to the faint hearted.

My best friend was just in Paris during Fashion Week, and surprisingly saw a lot of high-end fashion walking around, but hardly any high-end bags. I insisted she take a Longchamp, and bought her one for the trip, and that's basically what everyone wore....Longchamp Le Pliage and a scarf of some type. Bringing the Chanel bags back to the hotel (she bought 2) made her nervous, because of the huge amount of pickpocketing that goes on. It's pretty severe when the signs surrounding the Mona Lisa are not about the famous painting, but about watching out for pickpockets! :smile:

Sprina said:
Hmmm I always see quite a few Birkin every time I go to Paris (at least 3-5 birkins during a 2-5days trip) ;)

I hardly see Chanel thou!

Agreed! Never seen so many birkins within such a short time period. Although I don't know much about them and there could def have been some fakes!

Longchamp is still carried around indeed. I've had mine since 2007 or so! And throw it everywhere, or carry my things with it when it's raining. =D However, you can see lots of Vuitton (Speedy/Neverfull), or Vanessa Bruno (sac à paillettes).

I'm actually only 23 years old and purchased a Vuitton handbag with my own money, after graduating from University and getting a job offer.

Despite my medium flap (got it when I was 20), I really really want to buy with my own, well deserved, money, the Chanel GST in black and gold hardware. It looks pretty classy and would match with my clothing style I guess (dresses + ballerinas). I will be waiting a bit before purchasing though; that's really a lot of money...

And yes, people mentioned the scarf thing. I do wear a scarf everyday, but only was told like a year ago by my German bf that it seemed to be a typical French thing. =D

I was there recently this year Apr-May 2012. Paris is now swarmed with tourists! Hardly see any chanels... think for safety reasons, it may be better not to appear too rich there.

Like any large city, it is just a matter of being aware of your surroundings. I do wear my chanel in Paris but I carry it quite close to my body and hold it in a way that it would be hard for thief to gain access to it. My older parents were dressed quite casually with no obvious luxury items or jewelry, but they were pick pocketed probably because they were distracted and an easier target... Not because they had anything fancy or rich looking. So I think if one feels comfortable wearing designer pieces, it is fine as long as they stay alert. JMHO

I've been staying in the Parisian western suburbs now for more than 2 years. Everytime I go into Paris, there are plenty of younger girls carrying Vanessa Bruno and of course the ubiquitous Longchamp Le Pliage. There are the occasional Chanels and Hermes but not many. Only tourists care to line up at the Chanel and Louis Vuitton boutiques - sometimes I wonder if the French realized their economy would not survived if not for the brand crazy tourists!

There are many Romanian beggars around - some begging you for money and some asking if you speak English (to which you should just walk away!!!) before they start asking you to donate to some mute/dumb charity. They have snatched money from me before so be careful of these girls. Also watch out for groups of young children coming to you because some of them will distract you and the others will start pickpocketing. Always be vigilant, Paris has its dark side.

I've been staying in the Parisian western suburbs now for more than 2 years. Everytime I go into Paris, there are plenty of younger girls carrying Vanessa Bruno and of course the ubiquitous Longchamp Le Pliage. There are the occasional Chanels and Hermes but not many. Only tourists care to line up at the Chanel and Louis Vuitton boutiques - sometimes I wonder if the French realized their economy would not survived if not for the brand crazy tourists!

There are many Romanian beggars around - some begging you for money and some asking if you speak English (to which you should just walk away!!!) before they start asking you to donate to some mute/dumb charity. They have snatched money from me before so be careful of these girls. Also watch out for groups of young children coming to you because some of them will distract you and the others will start pickpocketing. Always be vigilant, Paris has its dark side.

I saw old women sitting on floor n begging for $
can't imagine they can bite the hands that's going to feed them
ungrateful

EvaBBB said:

I'm amaze and sadden how there's a dark side in Paris. I thought it's only in third world countries and social economic areas. I guess nowadays we must be vigilant where ever we go.. Thanks for sharing your statement. I'm always curious living styles in other countries :smile:

Paris, NYC, Rome things are happening that are not good...

Besides pickpockets, carrying around knives etc... everyone has to be aware
of there surroundings..

Sad to think that when you are traveling abroad that these types of things
are still continuing and one thing I would not do is open up my handbag
& give money... I keep it in my pocket..

I feel wear whatever you want regardless what country your in. Life is way too short not to enjoy what you have. I'm going to Paris next month and I'm bringing my chanel louboutins and skinny jeans. I'm there to enjoy myself shop, not to impress others or fit in

I'm amaze and sadden how there's a dark side in Paris. I thought it's only in third world countries and social economic areas. I guess nowadays we must be vigilant where ever we go.. Thanks for sharing your statement. I'm always curious living styles in other countries :smile:

Sadly it's not just third world countries or Paris ... pickpocketing, theft and crime in general happens in all cities, especially big cities where there's a wide disparity in income, lots of people and usually lots of tourists. Although I read some sort of statistic that Paris is much safer than equivalent major cities like New York or Chicago, it's really not all that different culture wise when it comes to safety and crime.

Back to the topic however, I heard the Chanel prices are going up again come January so maybe now's a good time to buy :P