Oprah

spiralsnowman said:
Here in L.A., there was so many enclaves of different ethnicities all over the city. In some areas you can walk several blocks w/out seeing a single Caucasian face... Racism seems to be less prevalent here, maybe because of the diversity of the population.

I think that depends on where you go. I've heard enough first- or second-hand stories from co-workers of people stopped by cops in certain neighborhoods for a "DWB" (Driving While Black) to know that even in a place as diverse as LA, people of color are still treated differently in many circumstances. I still sometimes hear people bad-mouthing Latinos for speaking Spanish or assuming they're all here illegally; when I can I remind them that LA was part of Mexico before it was part of the US, and some people's families have lived here since that time.

Seriously ...todays episode is killing me. I feel kind of guilty for my lovely life...Oprah is a bujillionare, how must she feel??? I want to call and donate as much as I can...its so heart wrencing.

you know what makes me kind of sick about myself....I AM a person that helps others...Im proud of the charity work I do...I have alot of time to do as I please...I really do not think I could ever go to Africa and help these poor people! I think I would be so devasted I could not get through it. I suck.

Sunshine said:
I really do not think I could ever go to Africa and help these poor people! I think I would be so devasted I could not get through it. I suck.

Just caring at all means that you DON'T suck!
Remember that even though there's good that needs to be done in Africa, there's always good that needs to be done everywhere. It doesn't lessen the value of the charity work you already do!

kezza said:
Just caring at all means that you DON'T suck!
Remember that even though there's good that needs to be done in Africa, there's always good that needs to be done everywhere. It doesn't lessen the value of the charity work you already do!
you're so right kezza...i just watched it to, it's amazing what's happening there and here all we see on the news is that gas prices are going up (and are still the lowest in most of the world). i wish more people would whine about genocide in the sudan than having to pay a little more at the pump...just my .02

I agree. That was a really intense show. It makes me feel pretty ashamed to have paid so much for a bag when these people are constantly worried about getting killed or raped. I always try to donate money whenever I can (or donate my time when I can't), but I know that all of us can always do more...
For any Canadians out there (and for anyone else who is interested), the Canadian Red Cross has a really good site concerning the crisis in Africa:
http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=011308&tid=001

I'm not a huge Oprah fan, but I applaud her for her efforts to bring attention to the plight of Africia. It's always great to donate money and time to worthy causes, which my husband and I do on regular basis, but it's also important to give of our time and money in our local areas too. There's a lot one can do within your own community or a neighboring community. There are many issues and causes that need help, from local women's shelters, food banks, clothing drives,etc. It's great to see some many compassionate women on this forum.

I watched it! It was a good episode...most of her shows I find boring and don't care about, but this one was excellent. I hope for the childrens sake that alot of people were inspired by that show to do something. I'd love to go and help and do stuff like that. Its scary though. Right as I speak there are children being raped and beaten, disfigured...tortured. I can't believe its been going on for so long. Well...actually I can. Sad.