only gal at work with designer bags?

this is an interesting thread.

i have the opposite situation of most people here...i just moved to LA and noticed how it seems like *everyone* here carries designer purses, sunglasses, hats, shoes (LV, Prada, Coach, D&G, Burberry, Chanel etc). It comes as quite a shock to me, as just one month ago I was quite oblivious to the whole designer handbag thing (I didn't own any name-brand purses). Thing is I just spent the past 6 years of my life in graduate school at MIT (in Electrical Engineering), which isn't exactly the place for high-end fashion. :smile: So over there no one cared that I got all my purses from Target or Sears. Like someone said earlier, most people in engineering are guys who probably have never even heard of LV or Prada and wouldn't know a designer purse if they saw one. And of the few girls in EE, I recall that only a few carried Prada or LV, most of them likely fakes (grad students barely make enough to support themselves, plus MIT students are notorious for getting everything from the black market, esp. mp3s, software and DVDs).

But over here in LA it's a different story. I work at a semiconductor company, where the majority of people are in engineering (so you'd think it wouldnt' be the most stylish place on the planet). However I've noticed both guys and girls at work wearing Burberry clothing/accessories, and practically every other girl has an LV handbag or wallet. I've seen *several* gals with Miu Miu bags, as well as Coach signature purses. I saw how nice those kind of bags looked, and thats how I got interested in designer handbags (of course after the initial shock of finding out how much these things typically cost :shocked:). So far here in LA i'm still just "small potatoes" with my 1 Coach tote ($200 at outlet) and 1 pair of D&G sunglasses ($150)... but I'm hoping to gradually build up my designer purse/sunglass collection (shh, hope my fiance doesn't hear that! :sneaky: )

I'm also the only girl here at work that carries LV, let alone any designer bags. It's never bothered me at all. I'm proud of my LV's and I carry one each day as well as my momo Neverfull which is my school/work bag.

I'm the only girl where I work that carries designer bags. Some of the other girls are snarky about it (especially this one who carries her Tano like it's a limited-edition Hermes) but I just blow it off. I carry what I like and so should you.

I'm the only one in my office (and probably my town!). I say.. be proud of it! I most definately am! You should be proud of the fact that you have a really nice item that your really like and take really good care of, and not just throw it down like regular bags! Some people spend loads on cars/holidays/food/alcohol/cigarettes, with me it just happens to be bags!

I'm the only girl where I work that carries designer bags. Some of the other girls are snarky about it (especially this one who carries her Tano like it's a limited-edition Hermes) but I just blow it off. I carry what I like and so should you.

Maybe her Tano means as much to her as a limited edition Hermes does to someone wealthier than she. (Not everyone can afford Tano bags these days- they run around $200!)

I'm the only one and the manager... so, I don't care. Some are jealous, but... oh well. Sometimes, I feel like it's the only thing that gets me up in the morning and makes my day worthwhile. I don't care what anyone thinks... then, again, I've really paid my dues, and I'm looked at as somewhat of an eccentric because I love fashion,,, weird huh? makes me happy, they need to deal.

I am also the only person in my office that wears designer. I really don't care if others think I'm crazy for spending the money that I do. I work an extra job and I feel that as long as you are not in debt from buying luxury items...as long as you know how to handle your money then be proud of the things that you worked so hard for...a lot of the people may think that it's nuts I spend the money that I do on bags but I think that it's crazy that they spend so much money on thirsty Thursdays at the bar :P

To tell u the truth....i'm the "california" girl at work. I seem to be the only one who likes makeup, doing her hair, actually caring about what she looks like and that's ok!! I'm known as the girly girl and I carry my Louis Vuitton proud!! :smile:)

Ok... so my parents own 2 restaurants. So I work with my Mom, and sometimes my Grandma. My Mom has a love for LV, just not as much as I do. And Grandma (who is only 65) won't spend the money on an LV, she LOVES her Dooney bee's purse. I will get her one day though!

My Dad, Husband, and little Brother all carry LV wallets! Thanks to me! :graucho:

I'm the only one who carries high end designer bags (that I see on my floor, at least), and everyone always comes over to ooh and aahh over my latest purchases. When I'm feeling guilty about a purchase, my co-workers even tell me "if you like it, buy it." So, no guilt here. Plus, it makes me feel good to carry a nice bag.
Yesterday I was in the Coach store returning a purchase....I was carrying my Pomme Rosewood (with matching Pomme Pochette wallet) and all the SA's came over to look at and compliment my bag.