OMG! I got the dreaded letter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP - can you explain what happened at the outlet? They handed you a letter and told you that you could not buy anything? Is that correct? Did it happen at the counter or did they pull you aside or something?

This makes me sick that they are doing this. I would call and explain, maybe you will get an apology?

I have to admit I have only been to an outlet store twice and both times they were bad experiences. I will stick to the boutiques and waiting around for PCE events.

OP - can you explain what happened at the outlet? They handed you a letter and told you that you could not buy anything? Is that correct? Did it happen at the counter or did they pull you aside or something?

OMG, it was so none discrete, they like handed the letter over the counter -- they were like didn't you get this? I was like get what?
after i read it, it was like, you think I would be here if I got this letter?
The letter was dated the 3rd -- I don't think I would've gotten it today even if USPS wanted to.

The more I think about it, the more annoying it gets, banning me for life?
what freakin morons. Can't believe I supported such a moronic company for the past 20+ years! I've been shopping with them since high school its been quite a long time! before I ever got into any designers for myself....I would save my hard earned money just so I can purchase their stuff for my mom and grandmas. All the hard earned money wasted on a company that can't appreciate me!!
You know how precious those Coach bags were back then....

Sure, now I have more $ on hand & discovered the outlets, I can buy more does that make me a bad customer? loyality to the brand is nothing to them.

I really am gonna call and give them a piece of my mind!
sux they're not even open on wknds!

I understand Coaches need to curb the amount of resellers in their outlets. I also agree that some type of warning should be issued first.

First of all, does the letter state what happens if you continue to shop at their stores.
Secondly, I am a bit confused. I have heard SA say that they don't track your purchases, which I've always questioned. I know for me personally I did a few exchanges last year and it seems like since then I have not recieved 1 PCE card, not 1. So it seems if you don't buy enough or make too many returns you stop getting invites, but if you buy too much you then get banned. That is crazy if they expect customers to stay in the quantity bubble to be truly appreciated.

Maybe this is a warning for me I have been there a lot in 2010 and I have noticed some attitude and looks from some SA that have been questionable. I have been a regular for sometime and most of the staff knows that. But lately when I speak with some of the managers they come off as if they're annoyed or tired of seeing me in their store. So this confirms that I need to take a break, before they send me a letter.

Sorry to hear about that, I hope you get it cleared up and I hope Coach gets a lesson on customer appreciation. Although it's a recession my outlet is always busy, maybe Coach is taking their sales numbers for granted.

I understand Coaches need to curb the amount of resellers in their outlets. I also agree that some type of warning should be issued first.

First of all, does the letter state what happens if you continue to shop at their stores.
Secondly, I am a bit confused. I have heard SA say that they don't track your purchases, which I've always questioned. I know for me personally I did a few exchanges last year and it seems like since then I have not recieved 1 PCE card, not 1. So it seems if you don't buy enough or make too many returns you stop getting invites, but if you buy too much you then get banned. That is crazy if they expect customers to stay in the quantity bubble to be truly appreciated.

Maybe this is a warning for me I have been there a lot in 2010 and I have noticed some attitude and looks from some SA that have been questionable. I have been a regular for sometime and most of the staff knows that. But lately when I speak with some of the managers they come off as if they're annoyed or tired of seeing me in their store. So this confirms that I need to take a break, before they send me a letter.

Sorry to hear about that, I hope you get it cleared up and I hope Coach gets a lesson on customer appreciation. Although it's a recession my outlet is always busy, maybe Coach is taking their sales numbers for granted.

I never get those looks, but those 3 wks with my mom - that's when the looks started w/the store manager-- I told them, its for my mom & they see it was her shopping & I'm only buying that much bc she's picking it out. So I agree don't back to that store for awhile, hate for you to be the next in line.

And here I thought during those 3 wks with my mom's purchases I made enough impression that Coach values me enough now b/c I'm finally getting those stupid Coach coupons-- personally!! and that was another reason why I even bothered going in there today!

instead I got the letter!

Oh if it was the store manager who reported me, bc of this irregular spurge boy do I have stuff to tell them!

I also want to thank all you ladies for listening to my rant!

I just can't believe it --
I feel like a fool for wasting $ on a brand that don't appreciate me!
If I had a time machine, I totally go back and never buy 1 piece of Coach merchandise.
:sad:
The feeling is just aweful -- I just feel so stupid, why did I support this stupid company as long as I have,

just to think if I didn't split my spending on Coach, I could've gotten a better collection from other designers!!
UGH!! i'm so mad at myself for being so dumb!

They can be sure I'll never have another family member support this stupid company!
Money is nothing, I'll just spend more on gifts now, its fine -- I'm not even gonna go on the cash route w/Coach, I think my dignity is worth more! UGh!

Last edited:
You know...the more I think about this, the more angry I get.

First of all, Coach sells a product. If you purchase the product, it's yours to with as you please. Whether you sell, use, give away...it's not Coach's concern, their part of the equation has been successfully met. It's not as if they were going to get *more* for the item then what you paid for it. What do they care if you're using it...or if someone else gets to opportunity to enjoy it? Coach still got paid.

I believe strongly in moral behavior...I do. And I've said many times that I have a love/hate relationship with resellers, which is strictly because I have used their services but wish sometimes I had the opportunity to get more at my outlet. However, it's not for Coach or any one else to judge. How can they possibly believe it is their right to police previously sold items?

If you're going to issue "ban letters" for excessive returns, okay--fine. I get that the practice of having a revolving door undermining in regards to their finances and I can go along with a lot of that. But then Coach needs to change their policy. They need to get proactive...they cannot say one thing and do another...because that is undermining to their customers! If we've all been told XYZ for years and years, and then all of sudden it's like XYZ but... that is unacceptable. I run a business, and I work daily to strive for the best possible relationship with my clients and customers...I couldn't imagine the backlash I would get if I said one thing and did another.

I believe that if someone is going to be banned, they at least deserve a warning first. It's the least Coach can do for someone who has spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars with them. Seriously. It's just the right thing to do.

OP- I'm so sorry you had to experience this.

This letter is total b/s, instead of humiliating your customers why not stop the resellers at the source, i.e. when they are actually making the purchases.

If I were you I would round up everything that still had a tag and a receipt and take it all back for a refund. If they no longer want your custom - you no longer need their products.

On a side note, I was in the boutique yesterday about a problem with my Madison plum wallet (be careful ladies, the color fades...) but I did not have my receipt with me. The mgr was like 'no problem, i'll pull up your purchases' - she calls up my information and all of my purchases (FP and outlet) were displayed. I was a little shocked, felt like I was at the bank.

i truly think that if coach would issue a warning first, then the person in question would either slow down the spending but keep being a customer, or continue shamelessly and then they should ban that person. that sounds more fair to me. this way they still "take care" of true re-sellers and don't loose business unnecessarily.

i can imaging tho, OP, that they thought you were a re-seller bkz you were shopping in amounts with your mother, when they see family members come together and buy a lot of multiples, they usually asume you to be a re-seller, per what i've read in previous posts from other people... also, i've read that they don't like you to supply your family overseas...

I think banning people is BSy. If Coach wants to stop resellers they should just set better limits. You can only buy X bags/wallets/whatever a month, and that is that.

Though I agree with IHC in saying that Coach already has their money, so that should be the end of the story. And I would rather see resellers than counterfeiters.

i can imaging tho, OP, that they thought you were a re-seller bkz you were shopping in amounts with your mother, when they see family members come together and buy a lot of multiples, they usually asume you to be a re-seller, per what i've read in previous posts from other people... also, i've read that they don't like you to supply your family overseas...

but honestly, it wasn't like each time my mom and I were both buying alot no 1 transaction exceeded 15 items. It was all within their rules. They were these small pouches, key rings, scarfs and etc. nothing big -- only 1 person purchased, me! it wasn't like I finished paying and then followed by my mom with her stack. It was just me buying.
I mean they weren't even full size wallets -- if we really appeared like resellers due to the volume, wouldn't they think we'd be smart enough and target all the purses and the full size wallets on clearance? bc those are the true money makers like all the other asian resellers that were there buying. Everything fitted in our hands, we didn't even need to use the big brown bag resellers uses!
ugh! this so irritates me.

my mom goes back once a year sometimes once every 2 years like this time, with the # of siblings she has along with their kids and their kids kids then she has her freinds to see, -- these small gifts doesn't really constitute supplying full Coach merchandise.

I hope you know I'm not arguing with you :smile:, I know you're just pointing out Coach's mindsetting but I'm just thinking out loud of how stupid of Coach.

Last edited:
i truly think that if coach would issue a warning first, then the person in question would either slow down the spending but keep being a customer, or continue shamelessly and then they should ban that person. that sounds more fair to me. this way they still "take care" of true re-sellers and don't loose business unnecessarily.

I agree that you buying all your mom's purchases for almost a month might have put a red flag up. Why didn't she want her name on the purchases? I've
Had the misfortune of being behind what I think was a reseller. Lots of multiples. It does get frustrating. I don't like when people take every last one of a item, and make it hard for people who make personal small purchases.

You know...the more I think about this, the more angry I get.

First of all, Coach sells a product. If you purchase the product, it's yours to with as you please. Whether you sell, use, give away...it's not Coach's concern, their part of the equation has been successfully met. It's not as if they were going to get *more* for the item then what you paid for it. What do they care if you're using it...or if someone else gets to opportunity to enjoy it? Coach still got paid.

I believe strongly in moral behavior...I do. And I've said many times that I have a love/hate relationship with resellers, which is strictly because I have used their services but wish sometimes I had the opportunity to get more at my outlet. However, it's not for Coach or any one else to judge. How can they possibly believe it is their right to police previously sold items?

If you're going to issue "ban letters" for excessive returns, okay--fine. I get that the practice of having a revolving door undermining in regards to their finances and I can go along with a lot of that. But then Coach needs to change their policy. They need to get proactive...they cannot say one thing and do another...because that is undermining to their customers! If we've all been told XYZ for years and years, and then all of sudden it's like XYZ but... that is unacceptable. I run a business, and I work daily to strive for the best possible relationship with my clients and customers...I couldn't imagine the backlash I would get if I said one thing and did another.

I believe that if someone is going to be banned, they at least deserve a warning first. It's the least Coach can do for someone who has spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars with them. Seriously. It's just the right thing to do.

I could not have said this better!! I also echo Coachgirljami's comments.

To me the time to put limitations on things is at the cash register, not beyond. I have no issue with an item limit rule, but enforce it across the board at every outlet. Beyond that, there's little you can do except tell the buyer they have reached their quota. Yes, there will always be those that attempt to abuse any policy, and resellers will always find a way to circumvent the policy no matter what. Still, IMO, Coach would be better off trying to stop the counterfeiters and take those reports seriously. I used to report this all the time, and basically I got a letter back saying they can't stop the smaller vendors. I got "don't bother" with the letter. Thus, it got to the point that if they can't be bothered, then neither can I.

As for resellers, seems that they need to really look in different directions because almost every time I'm at the outlet I'm quite certain I see resellers, and nobody ever bothers to comment to them other than I hear an occasional question as to why the customer is purchasing so many items, and when they say it's a gift, the cashiers allow the purchase. Only once have I seen anyone recording info and taking DL info.

I'm sorry, but let's face it... I'm not "renting" their items. I'm not a reseller, but if I want to gift, sell, trash, burn...whatever... I feel that is MY right to do with MY purchase that I bought and paid for with my own money....and I will do so! Returns, I do try not to make them, but if I don't want to keep the purchase, then I don't. I can't tell you how many SAs ENCOURAGE you to "buy and try, and return". I'm sorry, but that just breeds what they don't want. Don't say one thing and do another, kwim?? In any event, I would say that returning without receipt is the thing that can nab you.

As for reselling... I've also been asked if I was a reseller recently simply because I buy a lot of bags, and they remember me. I'm really buying them for me, with the occasional gift for some of DH's family, or occasionally for my friends because obviously I'm there at the outlet, and my friend isn't..and I try to get gift receipts for those occasions. However, I guess in one holiday weekend, we bought about 10 bags between my husband and me, and all 10 of those (minus the one that I discovered had blue dots on it and returned), are still happy at home with me. They were bought for ME, and so I did not appreciate the questions and innuendos the SA made.

Let me say that if I ever got a letter, trust me, I wouldn't want to get around their asinine policy to buy Coach ANYWHERE after that, period! There are plenty other great brands out there!! Coach is just one of them, and if they don't want my business, then so be it! I can assure you, they will lose others' business as well because I will surely spread the word. There was a time recently I got very worried when I heard a buddy got the letter, and I could really not understand why that was the case... but honestly, now I just don't care anymore. It's their loss if they want to lose my business...and trust me, my family and I buy a LOT of Coach IMO!

OP, I'm really sorry you got the letter, and I guess I would call and try to speak to someone in loss prevention to see what their rationale was. Beyond that, I would personally be done with the brand. JMO. I don't think I would sell off the pieces I cherish, but there are probably a ton of things I could return and sell...and I probably would do that. Just be sure you really want to get rid of the pieces you love before doing so, because that in itself can be quite emotional...and it's hard to recover. As much as I would dislike the company, I could probably never dislike the pieces I cherish in my collection. It's a very individual choice, though...many people just need to get rid of everything that reminds them of something bad.

I guess you can buy as much is you like if the SA allows you too. But it comes down to the exchange/return policy, maybe they should set a limit and still allow you to purchase just cut down on the returning. I can understand returning something due to quality or you purchase two of something and you return one because you wanted opinions or compare it to your wardrobe, but holding on to purses for months and sometimes years and then returning is ridiculous and we read about it often here on tpf. You can always use cash-cash is King! Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.