Nordstrom Return Policy Thread!!

what a nightmare this has turn into for me. :censor:I was wondering if anyone had this problem with nordstrom.com

On 5/27 I purchased a MJ purse from nordstrom.com for retail it came out as $1531.01 as the total after tax. I found out it would be marked down 40% in a few days. On 6/2 the purse was marked down on the website so I called nordstrom.com for a price adjustment (PA). The person I spoke with, gave me the PA for $-620.20 credit to my Nordstrom acct (which has already posted on the acct the next day).

So I received the purse, I didn't like it.. So I went to the store to return it on 6/9 I told the SA that I had a PA done on this purse so I should be receiving the $-910.81 difference as my refund. She looks up my order in the system and it showed that I would be receiving a full refund, not the difference. (I would have loved to keep the extra $$, but I do believe in karma ) I told her No it shouldn't be like that. I showed her my nordstrom credit acct. She sees the credit and calls the catalog/credit services. Going back and forth explaining the situation to them that they need to reverse the PA from 6/2 and the she(the SA) will give me a full refund for the purse. So everything should have been settled, Right?

So what happened was, when I got the PA for the purse. The girl that helped me on the phone, never linked the PA with that MJ purse order. It just showed up as a credit to my account. Not a PA. So that is why I could of walked away with an extra $620.20 and a full refund.

On 6/6 the full refund posted on my acct. So all I am waiting for is the PA to reverse.. Then everything would be back to normal on my acct.

But on 6/9 there is a charge for $1531.01 on my acct! I did not order the purse again. WHY would they charge me that amount. So I logged into my nordstrom.com account order history. I see that there is an order for the purse again but this time the order number started with #102 not #704 it's not even in sequence.
So I dialed the 1888 number. I spoke with someone and explained the situation to this person. She re-read all the notes on the account. Finally understood what I was talking about, So we are on the same page now. She speaks with credit dept. Since they are 2 separate departments, catalog/online store & credit dept. She said that they can't reverse the price adjustment. So they are going to recharge the purse onto my account and will do the adjustment of $910.81 from there. Since they can not take money from my account but they can charge the item then do an adjustment. (get it? I hope your not lost yet) then it will be back at 0.00 balance.

So today I logged onto my credit account and see that there is a credit of $-88.80 and $-531.40 posted on 6/11 on my account (if you add the amount, it is $-620.20) which is wrong. I should have $-910.81 credit back to my account, So then they will have their $620.20 back. I shouldn't see $620.20 twice on my statement.. because $620.20*2 doesn't give you $1531.01 (IDIOT!!)

I called the 1888# again spoke with a very nice girl, she said she will call credit and have a talk with them but she can't see my statement since she is from catalog & only her manager can see statements or credit dept can see my statement since they are 2 separate departments. She will call me back after everything.. so 3 hours later her manager gives me a call. explains to me that they are working with finance dept to get everything straighten out, and then she says finance already did the math and that they are right since they are in finance . I DONT THINK SO!! :nono: my balance is not at $0.00 Everyone makes mistakes right! Look at BP!

this is my statement..

06/11/10 N.COM/CATALOG CEDAR RAPIDS IA $-531.40
06/11/10 N.COM/CATALOG CEDAR RAPIDS IA $-88.80
06/09/10 N.COM/CATALOG CEDAR RAPIDS IA $1,531.01
06/06/10 BROADWAY PLAZA WALNUT CREEK CA $-1,531.01
06/02/10 N.COM/CATALOG CEDAR RAPIDS IA $-620.20
05/28/10 N.COM/CATALOG CEDAR RAPIDS IA $1,531.01

total balance is $290.61 not $0.00 as it should be..

So $-620.20 is on my account but it doesn't even things out to $0.00 I am missing $290.61. Right? Is my math wrong because I have been playing with all these numbers all day (it's killing me!) and that's what I am getting. Nordstrom is saying that they are correct but how can it be true? When I have a $260.61 balance on my account now. When I bought the purse I was at $0.00 balance and there are no other charges or pending charges on my acct. If the return went all perfectly fine. I would be at $0.00 balance. AS if I never purchased the purse from them.

They should have credit me $-910.81 not $-620.20 right? Because $260.61 is hanging around on my account that they owe me. Cause I know for sure I don't owe them any $$ since my account[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] is at 0.00!! I'm so fed up with them. Whoever did this credit to my account can not do math at all! I should not even see $620.20 twice on my account cause it doesn't add up to $1531.01 I need to see $910.81 to bring my account to zero balance.

So this Thursday I will be having a conference call with the manager I spoke with today from the catalog department & someone from credit to get this straighten out. Since catalog can only see my account history from the 6th. That's why I have to wait until Thursday when my full history will show up in her system. Then the conference call can happen. I hope we are on the same page.I hope, i hope!! I am wishing for luck.

If they screw me over, nordstrom will be 86'd from my life!:cursing::btdh:
Thanks for hearing my longest rant ladies! be careful when you are dealing with return/purchase & price adjustments.. cause they might screw you over!

thank you so much for reading this to the end!! I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
UGH Nordstrom! Just goes to show where honesty gets you! I once ordered a Juicy couture wallet from them (bare in mind i am overseas) and they sent it with the security tag still inside, my husband had to get pliers on it to get it off, not only that but then they charged my card TWICE for the wallet. I 86'd them then and there...
I realy hope you manage to get this straightened out, they cannot do even the simplest of math it seems....
I will keepmy fingers crossed for you :biggrin:

I'm glad you detailed out the amounts coz I got really lost in the 4th paragraph. Can't figure out why they charged you again! But ya, you are out the $290. Hope they get this straightened out tho. I've never had any problems with them but I can see where they got confused esp if the two depts can't see your account.

Good luck!

doesn't pay sometimes to be honest

it seems they credited you $620.20 2x's, once in the PA and then with the 531.40
and 88.80 which equals 620.20 and when add together is 1,240.40

then difference is between the actually cost of the purse $1,531.01 - 1,240.40 = 260.61, they need to credit you this

when you talk to them again take baby steps and slowly tell them what happen
and give them a math lesson

what they should have done is reverse you PA and credit you for the full price of the bag, now they just need to credit you difference from the problem they created

good luck

and to think I was going to post about my bloomingdales problem..

Last edited:
Wow, that's ridiculous. Sorry OP! That sucks that you need to wait until Thurday to have this straightened out. You get a big :woohoo: from me for being honest and trying to do the right thing, it's really unfortunate that it's turned into this big mess!

Another UGH here. I am having the same issue with an online drugstore and I am at the point of walking away being owed about $50. I will email Corporate to complain and I would suggest you do the same.

That is beyond ridiculous! I have gotten into similar silly situations by trying to be honest. I've even had SAs get annoyed when I point out they made a mistake in my favor. I think they'd rather the store lose money than admit a mistake.

This happened to me at nordstrom before.. ICalled to ask them what I should do since I didn't want to be flagged as some fraud but they said it's fine and it's usually fixed by the time it reaches your statement, and it was. Sounds risky they do this for them. I think the problem is the sales associates seem to have a couple different ways they ring a PA instead of a standard system..I dunno. This sounds really irritating for sure!

UGH Nordstrom! Just goes to show where honesty gets you! I once ordered a Juicy couture wallet from them (bare in mind i am overseas) and they sent it with the security tag still inside, my husband had to get pliers on it to get it off, not only that but then they charged my card TWICE for the wallet. I 86'd them then and there...
I realy hope you manage to get this straightened out, they cannot do even the simplest of math it seems....
I will keepmy fingers crossed for you :biggrin:

That is really careless of them. Eventually did they credit you back for the 2nd charge? Thanks so much!

Another UGH here. I am having the same issue with an online drugstore and I am at the point of walking away being owed about $50. I will email Corporate to complain and I would suggest you do the same.

I'm sorry about your problem too. You should'nt walk away. They need to make it right since it is their fault! I wish the best for your outcome ;)

This happened to me at nordstrom before.. ICalled to ask them what I should do since I didn't want to be flagged as some fraud but they said it's fine and it's usually fixed by the time it reaches your statement, and it was. Sounds risky they do this for them. I think the problem is the sales associates seem to have a couple different ways they ring a PA instead of a standard system..I dunno. This sounds really irritating for sure!

That is what they were telling me, but it's showing up on my transaction summary and it hasn't changed since Monday. The manager was dead set on saying that is the credit is from our finance department & it is right since they reviewed it. I think she is wrong and doesn't want to admit it. When I was telling her how to do the calculations over the phone she got confused. So that is why we are doing the conference call today.

Do you think when our statement close, Is there is an actual person that check & reviews it? I glad yours had gotten settled, it is a huge headache & I wish no one would have to deal with this. I hope everything turns out positive.

Melody - yeah I think someone reviews it for sure. I didn't realize til I got home and looked at my receipt that I had signed for a refund of $554 instead of $290! I think my heart stopped for a minute! But they sort of brushed it off, as if they do have someone reviewing it..And the next day or so sure enough even tho I signed for $554 the $290 was the amount credited on my statement. Sounds like they do need to review their computers to catch this stuff since it caused me a lot of stress by not catching it until I got home..and you a lot of stress by catching it while you were there! Either way it's annoying! Especially when their SAs encourage us to buy full price to get PAs...

That is really careless of them. Eventually did they credit you back for the 2nd charge? Thanks so much!

Nope after contacting them many times they refused to deal with me as they were not the ones that actually charged my card (when dealing with international orders they use a company called "fiftyone" to charge the customers) so after many mails back and forth and getting nowhere then i was forced to cancel my card and have my bank investigate, it is STILL under investigation now as of course i have to prove that i only placed ONE order with them and not two, it should be sorted out soon though (fingers crossed)

How are you getting on with them? Your conference call with them is/was today isn't it? :biggrin:

So it's 2:40 pm, I still haven't heard from her. She didn't call me at 12pm as promised. So I gave her a call at 12:30pm I was on hold listening to music for 15min and no one answered so I did a live chat. The rep said that she is in a meeting and that she will leave a msg for her to call me back. So I waited & waited.. I gave up and called them back at 1:45pm and at 2:45pm both times they told me that she is in a meeting!! It's been 3 hrs.. Can a meeting last this long? If they really take pride in their customer service they should really compensate me.

Nope after contacting them many times they refused to deal with me as they were not the ones that actually charged my card (when dealing with international orders they use a company called "fiftyone" to charge the customers) so after many mails back and forth and getting nowhere then i was forced to cancel my card and have my bank investigate, it is STILL under investigation now as of course i have to prove that i only placed ONE order with them and not two, it should be sorted out soon though (fingers crossed)

How are you getting on with them? Your conference call with them is/was today isn't it? :biggrin:

Gosh! That is ridiculous!! They should have a papertrail, I hope everything gets settle for you.. It's a major PIA. I never once had a problem like this. Now this makes me do a double take with price adjustment/shopping.