Non-Exotic Leather Pricing.

Yes Eric, Go to Paris! I loooooove Paris! You won't be sorry! I am planning my trip there in November already, this time with kids in tow,I am going to try & see if my daughter can get a birkin too! :party:

One problem though. I haven't managed to get an SA to confirm that they have one there - though I am sure that they DO have it in stock. Will have to call in a few favours from Paris friends. Good grief!

That is the tricky part! In Paris you'll just have to like what you see. This trip around, thanks to all the lovely things I've seen on this forum, I will slowly pick out scarves, belts,charms & other yummy accessories. I was so blown away by my birkin encounter the last visit, that I didn't get to enjoy the store! Thanks tpf'ers!:yes: Sorry, for this Paris aside,I just get so excited at the mention of Paris!!!!

Yeah...But I want the one I want. Sigh..will call a few friends in Paris and see what they can find me. Then if it works, will just fly up to get it there. If the difference is going to be 3000 US Dollars, there really is no point getting it here(excuses to fly up to Paris!)

Chances are better anywhere else in the world for a SO in Paris. I think someone SO'ed in Paris and was able to get them to ship to their local store. Hint, hint.

Actually, they will ship it to your house. They just call you & tell you when it's ready and that they're sending it! You can pay them at this stage or when you place the order.

Yeah...But I want the one I want. Sigh..will call a few friends in Paris and see what they can find me. Then if it works, will just fly up to get it there. If the difference is going to be 3000 US Dollars, there really is no point getting it here(excuses to fly up to Paris!)
:yahoo: ERIC!! How could you NOT go?? Plus you get to enjoy a few days Paris. :love: I know if they don't have fjord in the store that you can order it, but if you are set on ordering chevre, please ask your friends in Paris to confirm that this is available before you go.

What an interesting thread! I am new to Hermes & right now, it is only a pipe dream; however, I get to live through others' experiences. Have you decided anything, Eric? It must be so much fun. I visited my first Hermes boutique in naples, FL. I didn't even ask to see the Kelly they had, as I would fall in love & be heartbroken. Perhaps in the future--keep us updated on your H adventure!

Amy

Actually, they will ship it to your house. They just call you & tell you when it's ready and that they're sending it! You can pay them at this stage or when you place the order.

Yes; you pay (via Amex or wire; VAT included in final price) when the bag arrives at the mothership, then they ship the bag via FedEx, and you pay for the duty later on (fedex sends you a bill a few weeks later).

Yes; you pay (via Amex or wire; VAT included in final price) when the bag arrives at the mothership, then they ship the bag via FedEx, and you pay for the duty later on (fedex sends you a bill a few weeks later).

OKAY! Here's the plan....long and complicated as it is.

Had a long conversation with the Store Manager today. And the result is that I came clean! Yes, I told her that I called Paris........don't gasp. It's true. I wanted to tell a fib but thought better(worse?) of it. I told her very nicely that I would definitely get the Birkin from their store IF it could be made to my specifications. Basically, the truth is: I am rather sure I would be able to get a 'nice friend' in Paris to order on my behalf, the 50cm Birkin in Fjord. Though I doubt he will be able to make a SO hence the compromise in leather(My fave being chevre).

IF my store can't twist arms and make the bag in chevre, I will get a friend to get me one in Black Fjord and Gold Hardware - which I am sure, being a less than spectacularly popular size, should not be too difficult to find.

I either get the Fjord, which is my secondary choice and gain huge biceps from the weight of it all; and save close to USD3000 or pay a HUGE premium for the bag in Chevre de Coromandel.

I hope this works itself out positively.

Eric, huge biceps aren't a bad thing!!!:graucho: :P

Anyway, I'm glad you came clean. I hate lying to people. I'm so uncomfortable doing it, my body language becomes a dead giveaway. But, I digress. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Hi Eric.
I think it would be difficult to prevent the edges of a 50cm birkin from being scruffed. So while CdC is a great looking leather, it is probably not as easy to maintain in great condition as fjord, especially the corners of the bag.

Just a thot