New YSL shopping tote - thoughts??

Okay, no-one seems to have one, so I got it myself :biggrin:
View attachment 4412949
Now I'm debating if I should keep YSL or Mulberry Bayswater in this thread: Summer shopper: Mulberry Bayswater tote or Saint Laurent?

I must say I really like how lightweight YSL is, and its clean and understated silhouette. I only wish the color was more blush. The color is called Light Natural and looks more rose on YSL website. The photos on Mytheresa are much closer to reality. I will even add a comparison photo (photo from YSL is on top):
View attachment 4412952
Hi Elena, how’s your NS tote holding up after 2 years? I like the light colour too but am concerned with the quality of the leather. Others have complained about fraying handles, scuffs on the edge of the leather and corners. Does this hold up with a MacBook Pro 13 inch which weighs 3 pounds/ 1.4 kg? Thank you.

Last edited:
I so want one in the toy size!!! Perfect size and crossbody!!! I was thinking the Céline small cabas, but it is apparently discontinued. This has the added advantage of the magnetic closure! The grey and the burgundy are beautiful!

Hi Elena, how’s your NS tote holding up after 2 years? I like the light colour too but am concerned with the quality of the leather. Others have complained about fraying handles, scuffs on the edge of the leather and corners. Does this hold up with a MacBook Pro 13 inch which weighs 3 pounds/ 1.4 kg? Thank you.
Hi, can’t advise you on that unfortunately. I was not sure about the color and ended up returning it.

Hi! I have black leather YSL vertical shopper for over 3 years, I didn’t babied it at all, and carried lots of heavy stuff when I got it like laptop, gym clothes, water, books, groceries and so on… not taking into account that since the start of pandemic there have been few months that it just sit on my shelf, I would say the bag held up pretty good. When not in use, I always stuff it with a plush toy so it holds its shape and keep it in a dust bag. The only wear and tear I have so far is on the corners of the bag and the shoulder straps have some cracking on the edges of the glazing. But as I said, I use it a lot. For the price and quality of the leather, I would say this is great designer shopping tote, as it’s pretty affordable and the leather is great. I also love it’s minimalistic look as logos are very subtle. I opted for a vertical shape as I think it’s much more secure than the horizontal one: the bag doesn’t have any zip compartment apart of inner detachable compartment, so I would worry more if the bag was larger for anyone to have easy access. But since the vertical version is much slimmer, I feel like when I hold it under the shoulder, close to my body, it’s not as easy for someone to get inside. This was my first luxury designer bag and I still love it and enjoy wearing to this day!

6F68126A-41F2-42E4-8F3B-DFBAC828A9B6.jpeg

61482DAD-72C2-47A0-A31C-2DDFBB73C6F5.jpeg

BBAD6CA6-FCB0-4B1B-9275-84865D95625E.jpeg

E1F4ABB9-676A-492A-81B4-FB07692F360F.jpeg

1337F1C5-4B8C-4FAC-A5EB-2017916A09B0.jpeg

Hi! I have black leather YSL vertical shopper for over 3 years, I didn’t babied it at all, and carried lots of heavy stuff when I got it like laptop, gym clothes, water, books, groceries and so on… not taking into account that since the start of pandemic there have been few months that it just sit on my shelf, I would say the bag held up pretty good. When not in use, I always stuff it with a plush toy so it holds its shape and keep it in a dust bag. The only wear and tear I have so far is on the corners of the bag and the shoulder straps have some cracking on the edges of the glazing. But as I said, I use it a lot. For the price and quality of the leather, I would say this is great designer shopping tote, as it’s pretty affordable and the leather is great. I also love it’s minimalistic look as logos are very subtle. I opted for a vertical shape as I think it’s much more secure than the horizontal one: the bag doesn’t have any zip compartment apart of inner detachable compartment, so I would worry more if the bag was larger for anyone to have easy access. But since the vertical version is much slimmer, I feel like when I hold it under the shoulder, close to my body, it’s not as easy for someone to get inside. This was my first luxury designer bag and I still love it and enjoy wearing to this day!

View attachment 5260104

View attachment 5260105

View attachment 5260106

View attachment 5260107

View attachment 5260108
Thanks for this! I just received mine off of Fashionphile (2019 bag) and it was hard finding any YT videos reviewing it. I plan on using mine for work. How about the inside? How are you cleaning it? And the charm wear and tear?

Thanks for this! I just received mine off of Fashionphile (2019 bag) and it was hard finding any YT videos reviewing it. I plan on using mine for work. How about the inside? How are you cleaning it? And the charm wear and tear?

The inside is in a great condition as I haven’t spilled anything over, maybe just a bottle of water once. I always stuff my bag with a towel and a plush bear so it keeps it shape. The charm has no wear and tear as it stays inside the leather part, I almost never take it out, as I don’t being too showy. Also even I take out the metal part on purpose, it still gets covered with leather while walking as the leather part doesn’t stays put up for long… not sure if you got the sense of I’m saying, but once you have the bag in your hands and wear it, you’ll get it I guess)

Reactions: Claire023

View attachment 5260104

View attachment 5260105

View attachment 5260106

View attachment 5260107

View attachment 5260108
Your bag held up so well. It's beautiful!

Reactions: coffee2go
I just bought an East-West Shopper Tote in Stone Grey and want to get a purse insert for it to help it hold its structure better.

Does anyone use one they would recommend and could hold a 13” mac air laptop (perhaps in sleeve) as well or have the laptop fit on the side?

Here’s a photo of me in store with nothing inside the bag or maybe it had stuffing. Technically this is my first bag! I have a Gucci belt bag and an LV slg and a few designer scarves, so I’m pretty excited!

D7957F70-FD25-47D5-989E-62E93F68C4E1.jpeg

FE35F50B-B59E-4864-A96B-809594EE5CDB.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought an East-West Shopper Tote in Stone Grey and want to get a purse insert for it to help it hold its structure better.

Does anyone use one they would recommend and could hold a 13” mac air laptop (perhaps in sleeve) as well or have the laptop fit on the side?

Here’s a photo of me in store with nothing inside the bag or maybe it had stuffing. Technically this is my first bag! I have a Gucci belt bag and an LV slg and a few designer scarves, so I’m pretty excited!

View attachment 5365201

View attachment 5365202

nice rain boots! and also so happy for your new bag purchase! I don’t have East West bag, but from my experience with using bag inserts, I never find a bag insert that would work with my Mac Air 13, even for large bags, since these bag inserts have so many pockets… I usually put my personal belongings in a bag insert, and would fit a laptop inside its cover… on a side, out of bag insert if it makes sense… however should I wear a laptop on a daily basis, I’m afraid it could somehow affect the bag should I always put it one the same side… I mostly WFH nowadays, and should I use my laptop I would rather bring a backpack instead, so sorry, not much of a help here

nice rain boots! and also so happy for your new bag purchase! I don’t have East West bag, but from my experience with using bag inserts, I never find a bag insert that would work with my Mac Air 13, even for large bags, since these bag inserts have so many pockets… I usually put my personal belongings in a bag insert, and would fit a laptop inside its cover… on a side, out of bag insert if it makes sense… however should I wear a laptop on a daily basis, I’m afraid it could somehow affect the bag should I always put it one the same side… I mostly WFH nowadays, and should I use my laptop I would rather bring a backpack instead, so sorry, not much of a help here

Thanks! The rainboots are Pink Tartan - a local Canadian designer. Once I took the photo I realized how dirty they were - lol and cleaned them when I got home. :lol:

I pulled the trigger on a nylon bag insert that's a bit smaller to maybe fit a laptop, because I don't want the bag to feel heavy like with a felt one. Will see how that goes and if I have to get a shaper as well for the bottom.

Yeah - I also WFH, but just wanted to fit it in case. Will report back in a few weeks.

Hi all! Is there someone who has the tote in this special Leather? I’ve been searching every Pinterest and YouTube tote content for a real life photo, but I can’t find it! Is it a New design? Is there someone maybe with a photo? Or is there maybe an other YSL bag that I can compare it with?
123939D3-0F30-4DFB-9538-4764C8F0497C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all! Is there someone who has the tote in this special Leather? I’ve been searching every Pinterest and YouTube tote content for a real life photo, but I can’t find it! Is it a New design? Is there someone maybe with a photo? Or is there maybe an other YSL bag that I can compare it with?
View attachment 5689213
I have seen this in a department store, it’s a bit thicker than the regular leather they use for their shopper bags. I really liked the worn leather look!

Reactions: HavPlenty