Mom and sis giving me hell for owning LV

C'mon let's be honest. A $50 bag can last for a few years without falling apart and many can last for ten years. I don't think I ever had a bag "fall apart." Ever.

All my life before two years ago I never paid more than $50 for a bag and never had one last more than three months. My record is a week before the zipper self-destructed. I don't mean 'dirty' or 'scuffed' I mean totally unusable to the point I had to carry my stuff in a plastic grocery bag until I bought a new handbag. What brands did I miss out on that lasted years?

For some reason this brings to mind when I drive by run-down falling apart neighborhoods or low income apartment or government subsidized housing and see BMWs and Mercedes in driveways. I realize your situation is not this extreme.

Well, that is why they need "subsidizing" because they spend all their money on their car or their LVs... It just icks me that it is my hard earn tax dollars that are "subsidizing" their luxury items.

I am glad they stop nagging because what is done is done. But I do have to agree that the Speedy is excessive purchase when you still live at home. I couldn't afford a LV even when I was living at home because I was paying my mother's morgage... just to put things in perspective for you. The first LV I bought was for my mother. Now that we can afford house and LV, we are LV buddies... she enables me "yeah, I think you should get it!"

Seriously, if you were my daughter, I wouldn't have nagged because I'd say... it looks like it is time for you to pay "rent" at the house...

What's done is done and there's nothing you can do now which is to just let your mum nag and you remain financially responsible. As for your sister, tell her not to be busybody. Jmho.;)

The only way to make your mum happy is find a part-time job, work and contribute towards the household. You're still young and you have many more years to collect designer bags. Meantime, enjoy your Marc Jacobs and LV to the fullest. You only have until now and a few more semesters to finish your school for mum to nag.

Off topic, I don't agree with the statement that bags cost less than $50 can't last for years. Imho, this is pretty offensive to many other women out there who tote them and can't afford expensive bags. Imho, be fortunate if we can afford to splurge since they are more of wants and not needs eventually as we buy more and more. Who just stops at 1 LV only for their entire lifetime? I have bags that cost less than $50 and they all still last.

I used to hear the same crap from people. One day I just looked at them with their cigarette between their fingers and said " while you spend $10 a day on a pack of cigarettes, $70 dollars a week , $280 dollars a month x12 months in a year, I choose to buy handbags. On the bright side, my hand bag won't give me cancer" I never heard another remark from them.
Good post sirenized! People just like to flap their jaw and judge others without looking at their own behaviours. I know people who would not hesitate to spend a thousand dollars on hubcaps for their vehicle or endless cash they do not have for shoes and clothes or thousands on their boat but will want to be the first to put their cents in on my lovely purchases!

Labelwhore04 you are an adult, you sound very responsible with your money. You cannot control their verbal diarrhea so just tell them that you are not asking them to pay for it and make not another comment to them about their nasty comments.

Well, that is why they need "subsidizing" because they spend all their money on their car or their LVs... It just icks me that it is my hard earn tax dollars that are "subsidizing" their luxury items.

I am glad they stop nagging because what is done is done. But I do have to agree that the Speedy is excessive purchase when you still live at home. I couldn't afford a LV even when I was living at home because I was paying my mother's morgage... just to put things in perspective for you. The first LV I bought was for my mother. Now that we can afford house and LV, we are LV buddies... she enables me "yeah, I think you should get it!"

Seriously, if you were my daughter, I wouldn't have nagged because I'd say... it looks like it is time for you to pay "rent" at the house...

Joy, I am with you on this! I worked ever since I was 16 and handed over my entire paycheck to my mother for her to use for household expenses. And, I am not talking just working 8 hours a week. I was attending high school and working 25-30 hours a week all while maintaining honor roll and yes i still graduated 15th in my class. And then when I graduated high school I paid $300 a month rent and that was back in 1983. Yes, times are different now. I suppose!

All my life before two years ago I never paid more than $50 for a bag and never had one last more than three months. My record is a week before the zipper self-destructed. I don't mean 'dirty' or 'scuffed' I mean totally unusable to the point I had to carry my stuff in a plastic grocery bag until I bought a new handbag. What brands did I miss out on that lasted years?

The Sak
Tignanello
Stone Mountain
Etienne Aigner

Just to name a few.

That is exactly why she is dismayed at your purchase. I agree with her and do not think you are in a position to spend on luxury items. As you know, it is very expensive to live on your own and to be 100% responsible for yourself financially. If you do not have enough in savings now to live on your own, then you do not have enough money to be buying luxury.

Also, while she is providing for you financially, your spending habits are a direct reflection of the household. If she is managing the household finances to pay utilities, to keep the fridge full, and making the mortgage payment (perhaps all the while foregoing spending money on herself) than your prancing out of the house carrying a Speedy is just wrong.

For some reason this brings to mind when I drive by run-down falling apart neighborhoods or low income apartment or government subsidized housing and see BMWs and Mercedes in driveways. I realize your situation is not this extreme.

I agree with this--this is probably why your mom and sister are giving you a hard time. And you mentioned they did the same thing when you bought your Marc Jacobs bag. I'd probably hold off on the bags for a while. Thinking back to my college days, even though I was a straight A student and had a job, my mom would've been really angry if I bought expensive things. Books and necessities were fine but that's about it!
I bought my first designer bag when I graduated from college and had a full time job and contributed towards groceries/bills. I still have that bag and it's a Coach bag!

Advice from a middle age lady who ws once a tender 20+...

As long as you're stl living at home, you're still dependant on them.
The rest are working hard to pay off the mthly household bills & with you carrying the bag at home, it'd be irrespponsible regardless if you'd paid for it/ ws part of a gift.
Yr mom & sis must be frantic as they hv other priorities to settle 1st!
You'll not realise abt responsibilty until you move out from yr family's home. You may think twice by then on what you want & need. Rental, bills, foods, groceries &+++ stuff to pay.

What's done is done and there's nothing you can do now which is to just let your mum nag and you remain financially responsible. As for your sister, tell her not to be busybody. Jmho.;)

The only way to make your mum happy is find a part-time job, work and contribute towards the household. You're still young and you have many more years to collect designer bags. Meantime, enjoy your Marc Jacobs and LV to the fullest. You only have until now and a few more semesters to finish your school for mum to nag.

Off topic, I don't agree with the statement that bags cost less than $50 can't last for years. Imho, this is pretty offensive to many other women out there who tote them and can't afford expensive bags. Imho, be fortunate if we can afford to splurge since they are more of wants and not needs eventually as we buy more and more. Who just stops at 1 LV only for their entire lifetime? I have bags that cost less than $50 and they all still last.

I agree! It's an overwhelming trend on the purse forum to believe that just because something is expensive, it's "quality". BS. It's marketing, trendiness. Many items of clothing I've bought over the years last longer than my "high-end" purchases.

I think that your mother has a point that if you are dependent on her and not contributing to household expenses it seems rather excessive to spend $800+ on a handbag.

That said, I don't think that you buying ONE handbag for yourself with your savings is a huge deal. If you were buying luxury items all the time it would be a different story.

On a side note - I have had some $50 bags for years and never had a problem. I don't think expensive = quality in all cases.

OP, I think you have all the right in the world to buy your LV, provided it was obtained legitimately. I disagree with the people who say because you bought your LV, you should be paying for rent or bills. You'd probably be noble to do so, but it's your money, you do whatever you wish. Otherwise, there'd never be a right time to purchase the purse, even if live on your own, and you're not in financial trouble. Even those people could have donated their money to charity, etc. Designer goods are self-indulgent purchases, no matter who makes them. One exception: if you absolutely can't save (which you've denied), and you're irresponsible with your money, as a mother, I'd probably give you a talk.

Mother will always be a mother...They will let you know what they feel on about everything and anything it doesnt matter if your staying with her or not, or if you are still single or married...To some its nagging but to others its a special advise.

Maybe in the future they will feel better if you can offer to help out paying for small bills like trash or anything small, If you can afford expensive bags you can also afford to help out in your own little way. This is just my humble opinion :smile:

:shocked:What!!! You're funding your daughter's trip to Europe? Wow, that's over the top. Anyone over 20 should be able to fund their own bags and their own trips. No one ever paid for any of my luxury items, or cars, or education. I worked my way through college, and whatever luxury items I own are funded by my own hard work. I feel that kids today have a sense of entitlement that their parents owe them something else beside raising them to age 18 and teaching them values. They need to learn to work and appreciate what hard work alone will bring them. Call me old fashioned but that's the way I feel.

I totally agree with you that anyone over 20 should be out on his or her own, and I do admit to spoiling my daughter. But she has had so many health challenges, and I almost lost her a few years ago. Perhaps in my mind I'm compensating for the hard times that she endured (that we've all endured) and am thrilled that she is going back to school after an absence due to her health challenges. I love her more than my own life and would do anything for her. Besides, when my daughter was able to work, she treated me to a few luxury items, and vowed that when she makes her way in the world she will take care of me.