Mixing Metals?

My dh has asked me to pick out a new wedding band for our anniversary. I'm almost 100% decided on the Cartier love band in platinum. Next year, I will be getting a new e-ring to replace my current e-ring. I haven't decided on the design yet. Would love to hear opinions on the type of ring I should get that would stack well with the Cartier wedding band.

Additional background: My e-ring no longer fits me and is apparently too delicate to re-size as it is vintage so instead we'll be upgrading. As for the band, I never got one since we couldn't find one that worked with the vintage ring. I have sentimental attachment to my e-ring but really never wear as it is too delicate for everyday wear. Kind of opposite of how I thought I'd be with my engagement ring.

Lastly I really hope to get a Cartier love bracelet this year in yellow gold. Do you think it would look strange to wear the bracelet on the same hand as my Cartier love band in platinum? I've seen photos of people wearing the ring and bracelet in the same metal but not different.

My dh has asked me to pick out a new wedding band for our anniversary. I'm almost 100% decided on the Cartier love band in platinum. Next year, I will be getting a new e-ring to replace my current e-ring. I haven't decided on the design yet. Would love to hear opinions on the type of ring I should get that would stack well with the Cartier wedding band.

Additional background: My e-ring no longer fits me and is apparently too delicate to re-size as it is vintage so instead we'll be upgrading. As for the band, I never got one since we couldn't find one that worked with the vintage ring. I have sentimental attachment to my e-ring but really never wear as it is too delicate for everyday wear. Kind of opposite of how I thought I'd be with my engagement ring.

Lastly I really hope to get a Cartier love bracelet this year in yellow gold. Do you think it would look strange to wear the bracelet on the same hand as my Cartier love band in platinum? I've seen photos of people wearing the ring and bracelet in the same metal but not different.

I have an issue with everything having to match, so I would prefer the same metal for both the band and bracelet. Lots of people mix metals and pull it off beautifully, though.

The metal thing isn't the issue, but you will likely have a hard time with the band going with many ering styles. That's a hard band to wear with other rings, I think.

The metal thing isn't the issue, but you will likely have a hard time with the band going with many ering styles. That's a hard band to wear with other rings, I think.

This!
I'd rather pick out both at the same time to make sure they look good together, and also fit together so they don't rub against each other and wear each other down.
That said its your ring, or rings, so get what you love.

If it were an option, I'd definitely pick them all out at the same time. I did lots of online searches and am leaning towards getting a pave ring or channel set ring. I've seen some others wear it like that and it looks nice, imo. Perhaps I should give up my hankering for the YG bracelet to prevent the clash of metals.

I wear white gold bracelet with pink gold wedding ring all the time, I love how they match but are different! But I agree that it's not an easy band to wear with an ering.

Oh no, I am second-guessing myself now. I based the idea of wearing the Cartier love band with another ring after seeing how other TPF members stack theirs in this thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/love-ring-with-erings-and-other-stacks-800757.html. Right now I'm planning to get a really dainty pave solitaire ring to wear with it. In my mind the pair would look really nice together.

I really want a Love bracelet and YG is my favorite one. I don't think I can swing getting one in platinum and I think WG would look off too. My dh would say the easy way to solve this problem is to not get any of them. Sigh.

What if you got the YG Love bracelet and not the Love ring? Why would you want both the ring and the bracelet? (It sounds a little matchy to me. :shrugs:)

Just something to think about. Then you can get 3 pieces that look good together - maybe a two-tone band that goes with an e-ring you love, and pulls in the yellow gold of the bracelet.

What if you got the YG Love bracelet and not the Love ring? Why would you want both the ring and the bracelet? (It sounds a little matchy to me. :shrugs:)

Just something to think about. Then you can get 3 pieces that look good together - maybe a two-tone band that goes with an e-ring you love, and pulls in the yellow gold of the bracelet.
+1
I think both the bracelet and the ring look too matchy matchy for my taste-no offense to anyone who has both :smile:

I want to second what others mentioned above, the love ring doesn't stack nicely with other rings. I wear a pink gold and yellow gold stacked and none of my other rings look great with them.

Thank you everyone for weighing in. I think I'm going to look for a diamond band instead and hopefully find a Cartier bracelet in YG. That way I won't be too matchy matchy or too mismatched. (Ha!)

I say get what you like; a lot of people mix metals now. It wasn't popular a long time ago, but nowadays you can do whatever you like and it is ok. I never mixed metals but I do now. The way I solve this problem is when I'm mixing, I wear a yellow gold ring with a big silver cuff that has yellow gold on it. One piece has the mixed colors, as does my nice watch, so when you incorporate one piece with both colors you can mix whatever you like with it, and it works. Hope this helps.

For me it's got nothing to do with mixing metals but with mixing styles. The Love is actually a very masculine pipe cut ring that is rather wide, I think about 3mm? Most modern ER styles are more delicate or antique vibe and they just do not mesh well IMO with the love. Also, with the Love being already 3mm thick stacking that with another thick ring or rings is a lot of width on the finger. I know that I have slim but short fingers and I have learned the hard way that 4mm is my limit no matter how many rings are stacked. I would highly suggest you try the Love on with ER styles before you commit. Buy a basic sterling pipe cut band in the same width as the Love and try on to your hearts content. Best of luck!