Michael Fassbender

Harvey spent his money just to destroy Macbeth and help the ones he really loves. He's disgusting.

At the end of the day, this is exactly Harvey's modus operandi. He buys films that are in direct competition to his favorites to supress them. He's evil and greedy and I hope Michael never deals with Harvey again.

Unlike the common thought that AMPAS is strictly against Shakespeare, had Macbeth been treated with an ounce of respect and proper distribution, fall festival presence, it would have been on the radar for at least a few technical nominations, and most certainly for Michael and Marion. But Harvey looked into his crystal ball a year ago and planned to derail Macbeth. He'll probably release it next February out of spite and to prove a point. :shucks:

So, Harvey knows that Universal would campaign for MF, so he chooses to neglect Macbeth. That's funny, because didn't he know that Fox Searchlight would campaign for Demolition when it was in play? A film that many people, including many here, felt was a stronger offering than Southpaw?
Sorry, no neglect of Southpaw to be seen. In fact, it could be said the Gyllenhaal campaign was started in earnest.

Southpaw will at least make him money and drumming up an "Oscar campaign" for Jake will make it more money, even if, during Cannes, Harvey believed Demolition was his better chance. Plus, Harvey said that when Jake was in the room and Harvey was trying to make everyone believe that the film would have been in competition if not for Jake being on the Jury (again, box office).

Now Harvey is giving Macbeth the Suite Francaise treatment. Now that I'm awake and have thought about it, the most likely target is StudioCanal, who are trying to sell it over in Europe as an awards contender. He didn't want it at Cannes (he wanted the attention on Carol). As a plus, Fassbender and Cotillard will not benefit from it during the awards season over his own candidates.

Let's cheer this place up a bit with a scruffy new picture of Michael from XMA!

tumblr_nsa8j3146V1twgs7qo4_500.png

You are right. Macbeth needs to get out of Harvey's grubby hands. I hope he has egg on his face again this Oscar season. I can't stand him.

hahaha my ultimate dream! Never happening but it would be awesome :P

At the end of the day, this is exactly Harvey's modus operandi. He buys films that are in direct competition to his favorites to supress them. He's evil and greedy and I hope Michael never deals with Harvey again.

Yeah, that's what I've been told. He buys the films he wants to campaign for (Big Eyes, Southpaw, Carol, Hateful Eight, Burnt lol) and also the ones he thinks that will be strong contenders so he can eliminate their chances (Suite Française, The Immigrant, Macbeth). Evil but he has money, why not? I hope Marion never deals with him again but his goal is to keep buying her films, he recently bought Little Prince for UK release. Maybe he'll buy Dolan's new film too, her movie with Brad Pitt or Mal de Pierres.

Let's cheer this place up a bit with a scruffy new picture of Michael from XMA!

tumblr_nsa8j3146V1twgs7qo4_500.png

Hot and sexy! :graucho:

Harvey has done business with Studiocanal before. He knows who he is dealing with. It can't be a shock that they are trying to sell it as an awards contender. Who but a duplicitous arse like him would NOT do that when they have a very good movie with a cast of Fassbender and Cotillard?

Harvey has done business with Studiocanal before. He knows who he is dealing with. It can't be a shock that they are trying to sell it as an awards contender. Who but a duplicitous arse like him would NOT do that when they have a very good movie with a cast of Fassbender and Cotillard?

Sure, but I'm certain Harvey made it clear to StudioCanal what his plan was for Macbeth in the States (late December, we'll see what happens with awards) and thought they would do the traditional late January release and let him decide the festival roll out. But StudioCanal (who produced the film) thought they could change it up and put the film firmly in the Oscar race (which is probably what he told them he was going to do in the first place when they sold him the North American rights).

So they went to Cannes despite his wishes (probably with Kurzel's edit that Harvey didn't approve), pushed out a great trailer he had no say in, and set awards friendly release dates that had the worldwide film press buzzing about Oscars.

But no one pushes Harvey around, even if he doesn't have a real lead actor contender and could have gotten tech nominations out of Macbeth. So he's burying it.

Sure, but I'm certain Harvey made it clear to StudioCanal what his plan was for Macbeth in the States (late December, we'll see what happens with awards) and thought they would do the traditional late January release and let him decide the festival roll out. But StudioCanal (who produced the film) thought they could change it up and put the film firmly in the Oscar race (which is probably what he told them he was going to do in the first place when they sold him the North American rights).

So they went to Cannes despite his wishes (probably with Kurzel's edit that Harvey didn't approve), pushed out a great trailer he had no say in, and set awards friendly release dates that had the worldwide film press buzzing about Oscars.

But no one pushes Harvey around, even if he doesn't have a real lead actor contender and could have gotten tech nominations out of Macbeth. So he's burying it.

I think Harvey bought it because he thought another major studio would do that and use it as a potential vehicle for the Oscars, even if AMPAS don't really love Shakespeare's adaptations. It has Michael and Marion leading it after all (Fox Searchlight almost got it).

Things probably started to piss him off after Studiocanal brought it to Cannes, it had great reviews, the trailer came out and was a huge hit and this could threat his beloved films. And yes, I'm sure Harvey didn't approve Kurzel's cut either. Maybe if the press and actors pressure him he changes his mind about releasing it this year though...forget about campaign, I just wanna watch it LOL :biggrin:

I believe it was his plan to bury it from the beginning. Aside from his statement when he first purchased the film, he has barely said a word about the Macbeth. How atypical for that blustery fool. That was done with purpose, and Studiocanal seeing that they didn't have a partner, went about their business without him. I say good for them.

As an aside, didn't Macbeth have a release date in the UK in January 2015?

Could it have been ready for last year's campaign? Maybe Studiocanal realized they were encountering resistance from their partner and decided he wasn't going to derail their plans two years in a row.

I believe it was his plan to bury it from the beginning. Aside from his statement when he first purchased the film, he has barely said a word about the Macbeth. How atypical for that blustery fool. That was done with purpose, and Studiocanal seeing that they didn't have a partner, went about their business without him. I say good for them.

It was the centerpiece of his Cannes presentation in 2014, right after filming ended. It was really all the journalists were talking about coming out of the presentation (other than being disappointed with the sneak peak of TIG). Some speculated that Harvey, with his weak slate and they way he talked it up, would release it in 2014. Then in 2015, he stopped talking about it.

It was the centerpiece of his Cannes presentation in 2014, right after filming ended. It was really all the journalists were talking about coming out of the presentation (other than being disappointed with the sneak peak of TIG). Some speculated that Harvey, with his weak slate and they way he talked it up, would release it in 2014. Then in 2015, he stopped talking about it.

I thought TIG was the centerpiece, especially since he paid 7 million for it. Then, along came Macbeth, and it stole some of the attention.

I thought TIG was the centerpiece, especially since he paid 7 million for it. Then, along came Macbeth, and it stole some of the attention.

If I recall correctly, the clip from TIG was short and had been seen before. No one was impressed. Macbeth made the biggest impression (and I believe it was just a clip of Michael).

As an aside, didn't Macbeth have a release date in the UK in January 2015?

Could it have been ready for last year's campaign? Maybe Studiocanal realized they were encountering resistance from their partner and decided he wasn't going to derail their plans two years in a row.

According to IMDB the HWG and Fox were in a bidding war for the U.S. & Canadian distribution rights back in October 2013 before Macbeth began production- not sure if that's accurate.

Macbeth is a British film from the Film 4 stable. Studio Canal came on board later to co-finance and distribute in Europe and it was after their involvement that Marion joined the cast.

When Harvey purchased the film in October 2013, he made a statement mentioning the involvement of Fassbender and Cotillard. Studiocanal was also on board at that time, as they were handling international sales.

When Harvey purchased the film in October 2013, he made a statement mentioning the involvement of Fassbender and Cotillard. Studiocanal was also on board at that time, as they were handling international sales.

Yes, but prior to Studio Canal coming on board, when it was solely a Film 4 production, Michael was committed but the female lead hadn't been finalised; Natalie Portman was linked for a while, I'm fairly sure Marion signed up after Studio Canal became involved.