Michael Fassbender

If I recall correctly, the clip from TIG was short and had been seen before. No one was impressed. Macbeth made the biggest impression (and I believe it was just a clip of Michael).

Yes, I wasn't aware of all the details you provided, but I certainly remember Macbeth stealing some of the thunder from his 7 million dollar baby.

When Harvey purchased the film in October 2013, he made a statement mentioning the involvement of Fassbender and Cotillard. Studiocanal was also on board at that time, as they were handling international sales.

Yes. Studiocanal started getting involved in May 2013, right after Michael and Portman were announced. Marion was cast after Portman left because Kurzel and Michael wanted her, along with producers, of course. It wasn't because of Studiocanal. They actually said that at Cannes conference.

So Studiocanal is the one who sold it to Harvey, thinkinh he might be a good studio for the film in US. Poor people...they should have sold to Fox Searchlight.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/distribution/studiocanal-boards-macbeth/5055854.article

Last edited:
So, Harvey knows that Universal would campaign for MF, so he chooses to neglect Macbeth. That's funny, because didn't he know that Fox Searchlight would campaign for Demolition when it was in play? A film that many people, including many here, felt was a stronger offering than Southpaw?
Sorry, no neglect of Southpaw to be seen. In fact, it could be said the Gyllenhaal campaign was started in earnest.
Gyllenhaal has a transformative,typically oscar baity role and Demolition will be released the next year.Probably he knew it. But Southpaw has a July release,so I don't even know if he was actually confident about it. Weinstein says many things... I think that he was overpraising him just to create hype for a movie that,aside from Gyllenhaal,is overall average.

Honestly I think that someone here is not ovrestimating its reception,but the fact that Macbeth is a serious threat for his movies. Macbeth is not a threat for movies like Carol,Hateful Eight,and the chef movie will be a crowd pleaser.But movies like Steve Jobs,Beasts of No Nation,The Revenant,an oscar bait like The Danish Girl are real threats,so I agree with Lou about the fact that Macbeth can give more exposure to his performance in SJ. But if Macbeth will not be released this year (I don't think),that would be just one of the possible reasons. Weinstein is making some weird choices. He paid 6 million dollars for Three Generations,the movie with Sarandon,Fanning and Watts and it will be released in September...

Probably! LOL Maybe Harvey wanted to give it a VOD release, like he's doing with Three Generations...

I'm just waiting for the announcement that it's going to Radius. (I really want to see the scenery and cinematography everyone has been talking about on the big screen, though!)

What really gives me pause is what he's doing to Suite Francaise. Sure, it wouldn't set the world on fire, but it got decent reviews in Europe. Why is he sitting on it FOR YEARS? Why not release it on DVD at the very least? Is that what will happen to Macbeth?

I'm just waiting for the announcement that it's going to Radius. (I really want to see the scenery and cinematography everyone has been talking about on the big screen, though!)

What really gives me pause is what he's doing to Suite Francaise. Sure, it wouldn't set the world on fire, but it got decent reviews in Europe. Why is he sitting on it FOR YEARS? Why not release it on DVD at the very least? Is that what will happen to Macbeth?

The Immigrant went to Radius and there were rumors about a VOD release late 2014 but after the press almost killed Harvey for that, he changed his mind and released it in May. It had a quite good B.O considering the poor promotion and it had nods to Spirit Awards and many critics associations. Suck it Harvey :biggrin: If he tries doing this with Macbeth I can't even imagine what will happen LOL IMO, he'll be forced to give it a poor theatrical run in early December or something. But I'm betting on a hit in UK. It seems that Burnt will be released on the same day...

http://www.launchingfilms.com/release-schedule

Suite Française have good reviews in general but it didn't have a strong B.O anywhere as far as I'm concerned. Weinstein might give it a late Winter or Spring release in 2016 or just go full VOD or even Lifetime.

Macbeth will have a limited theatrical release at the very least, even if it does go to Radius (at which, grrr...). But that sucks because it's limited to only people in LA and NY, maybe SF.

@PasteMagazine Best part was Fassbender singing parts of the soundtrack throughout the read! #Montreal #JFLMTL #whatanight #hollywood
https://twitter.com/buttshow/status/626145978119286784?s=09

Old pics:
tumblr_ns600kq7Tw1r2b86ro1_r1_500.png

tumblr_no3o1yTreJ1sxyvtko1_1280.jpg

Macbeth will have a limited theatrical release at the very least, even if it does go to Radius (at which, grrr...). But that sucks because it's limited to only people in LA and NY, maybe SF.

Weinstein got US rights or NA rights for Macbeth? I also think he'll give it a NY and LA run in early December, same thing he did with Corialanus in 2011. Then he'll see what happens. If people go watch it I'll be happy already :P But I wanna watch it too LOL