Maintaining a H relationship

Please focus on the title of this thread rather than each other, TY

If you find it very hard to ignore certain people, please feel free in adding them to your 'Ignore' list.

For advice on how to obtain a B/K/C please go to the reading room in the Reading Room The Newbie's HOW DO I GET A BIRKIN (or other bag) Reading Room

For advice on how to shop at your local store please do a search in Hermes Shopping sub-forum and look for your store/region/country.

Reactions: Etriers and S62708
Hi- I just started working with a new SA who's out of state. When I was in the store a few weeks ago, I tried on a piece of fine jewelry and although I really liked it I didn't end up buying it. I did make other purchases that day plus some others over the past few weeks. My SA sent me a text saying that the piece I was trying on is waiting for me, using some humor in the text..... My question is this : is my SA trying to nudge me into making more purchases in order to move towards a wishlist item (which I just shared with him recently). Am I reading into the text too much?!

Their job is to sell and they noticed you liked it and are trying to close the deal. Don’t think it’s tied to a bag.

Hi- I just started working with a new SA who's out of state. When I was in the store a few weeks ago, I tried on a piece of fine jewelry and although I really liked it I didn't end up buying it. I did make other purchases that day plus some others over the past few weeks. My SA sent me a text saying that the piece I was trying on is waiting for me, using some humor in the text..... My question is this : is my SA trying to nudge me into making more purchases in order to move towards a wishlist item (which I just shared with him recently). Am I reading into the text too much?!
Agree with @acrowcounted that he’s pushing for his own benefit. Or, he really liked it on you. Or both. But, if you like him and are comfy with him, you can simply ignore or push back with a reply thumbs up or laughing emoji. If you want, you could add, nope decided against. Or yup, if it’s still there on my next appt, I might revisit. (Depending on how much you like it). If you just started discussing the wishlist, I would NOT assume that your SA means buy this and x will magically appear. (I was typing this as @cravin said it above) No need to read too much into this. :smile: An SA might send you a bunch of things that he thinks you might like, esp. if he’s just learning your taste. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:

Is he enticing you.. sure... that's what a SA does
If you don't have any interest in the piece of jewelry, just simply say "thanks for the follow up"
Since you are looking to maintain a H relationship & you have shared your wishlist with him,
just be candid.. SA's appreciate that!
Would not feel obligated to purchase every item that a SA shares with you unless you
are specific.. mistakes can be costly from H..( have learned this over time) JMO

Last edited:
I would have felt pressured. Had you asked to hold an item for you, I would have understood that SA follwed up. There could be sevaral reasons why you liked an FJ item and did not end up buying, I would not expect an SA to nudge me in this case. Either way, do not feel you're oblidged to buy.

Reactions: hbr
IMO your SA is definitely trying to get you to purchase. He might be trying to reach a sales quota in a certain category, and remembered "Oh hbr tried this and she seemed interested..maybe let me try to seal the deal".

I also don't know what you said to him during/after the visit in regards to why you didn't purchase. Maybe something you said or you're body language made him feel as if you would likely revisit the item.

I know others have answered differently, but maybe he really is nudging you to purchase that jewelry item in order to get your wishlist bag (assuming it's a QB?). That's actually kind of cool of him to be that "straightforward" with you so he doesn't leave you guessing & gameplaying like a lot of people's SAs. Not saying that is or is not the case; but if you really want the answer, maybe just send him a joking text back "since that jewelry is waiting for me, will my bag also be waiting?" :giggle::blush:

Whatever his intentions are, don’t buy it unless YOU love it.

Without knowing the actual dynamic between you and your SA, I would probably just assume the SA, whose job is to sell, is gently encouraging you not to forget about that piece with some lighthearted humour. I probably wouldn't read it as meaning that piece has been set aside for you, with attendant pressure to come in and buy it. I would take it in a relaxed spirit, respond with a laugh and continue to shop at your own pace. :smile:

Was it a random piece that you tried on incidentally while looking at other items? Which piece was it? As in, is it highly covetted or demand? Since you chose not to buy, perhaps there was something about the piece that did not appeal to you? Sometimes I have that feeling when I see and try something in person. It can be a figity clasp, it doesn't sit right on me, or the metal looks awful against my skin tone.

In my opinion, yes. I think he may be nudging you to purchase the jewelry item but I think its for his benefit, not yours. Kind of a weird interaction, assuming you didn't ask him to hold the item until you decide. I'd be uncomfortable, honestly.
Thank you! I definitley felt uncomfortable and put on the spot :sad:
Their job is to sell and they noticed you liked it and are trying to close the deal. Don’t think it’s tied to a bag.
I agree that it's their job to sell. I never followed up with him about the item so it was very out of the blue to bring it up! And maybe a coincidence that he sent the text after I shared my wishlist?!
Agree with @acrowcounted that he’s pushing for his own benefit. Or, he really liked it on you. Or both. But, if you like him and are comfy with him, you can simply ignore or push back with a reply thumbs up or laughing emoji. If you want, you could add, nope decided against. Or yup, if it’s still there on my next appt, I might revisit. (Depending on how much you like it). If you just started discussing the wishlist, I would NOT assume that your SA means buy this and x will magically appear. (I was typing this as @cravin said it above) No need to read too much into this. :smile: An SA might send you a bunch of things that he thinks you might like, esp. if he’s just learning your taste. No harm, no foul.
Thanks for this! I replied and told him that I'm still thinking about it but due to the fragility of the piece i'm worried I'd be too hard on it and damage it. I did share appreciation for him thinking of me.
Is he enticing you.. sure... that's what a SA does
If you don't have any interest in the piece of jewelry, just simply say "thanks for the follow up"
Since you are looking to maintain a H relationship & you have shared your wishlist with him,
just be candid.. SA's appreciate that!
Would not feel obligated to purchase every item that a SA shares with you unless you
are specific.. mistakes can be costly from H..( have learned this over time) JMO
Yes, I really don't want to spend money on items I don't love and want. It's a slippery slope and frankly too costly to do that!
I would have felt pressured. Had you asked to hold an item for you, I would have understood that SA follwed up. There could be sevaral reasons why you liked an FJ item and did not end up buying, I would not expect an SA to nudge me in this case. Either way, do not feel you're oblidged to buy.
Thank you! I never asked it to be placed on hold. It was very out of the blue and I felt like it was tied to my wishlist text.
IMO your SA is definitely trying to get you to purchase. He might be trying to reach a sales quota in a certain category, and remembered "Oh hbr tried this and she seemed interested..maybe let me try to seal the deal".

I also don't know what you said to him during/after the visit in regards to why you didn't purchase. Maybe something you said or you're body language made him feel as if you would likely revisit the item.

I know others have answered differently, but maybe he really is nudging you to purchase that jewelry item in order to get your wishlist bag (assuming it's a QB?). That's actually kind of cool of him to be that "straightforward" with you so he doesn't leave you guessing & gameplaying like a lot of people's SAs. Not saying that is or is not the case; but if you really want the answer, maybe just send him a joking text back "since that jewelry is waiting for me, will my bag also be waiting?" :giggle::blush:
I took some pics of the item on me and did really love it. But just wasn't ready to spend the money just yet. I also think it's a discreet way to tell me that fine jewelry will get me the QB I requested. It's just a gut feeling. AND, I love your reply to his text! Not sure I have enough guts or established a strong enough relationship with him yet to be so bold!
Whatever his intentions are, don’t buy it unless YOU love it.
Totally agree!
Without knowing the actual dynamic between you and your SA, I would probably just assume the SA, whose job is to sell, is gently encouraging you not to forget about that piece with some lighthearted humour. I probably wouldn't read it as meaning that piece has been set aside for you, with attendant pressure to come in and buy it. I would take it in a relaxed spirit, respond with a laugh and continue to shop at your own pace. :smile:
Thank you! Trying not to read into it too much!
Was it a random piece that you tried on incidentally while looking at other items? Which piece was it? As in, is it highly covetted or demand? Since you chose not to buy, perhaps there was something about the piece that did not appeal to you? Sometimes I have that feeling when I see and try something in person. It can be a figity clasp, it doesn't sit right on me, or the metal looks awful against my skin tone.
It is a new design I had never seen. Can't remember the name but it's made with jade (different color discs) either in a necklace, bracelet, or ring. Was very unique but delicate and I worried about cracking the stones.

In my opinion, yes. I think he may be nudging you to purchase the jewelry item but I think its for his benefit, not yours. Kind of a weird interaction, assuming you didn't ask him to hold the item until you decide. I'd be uncomfortable, honestly.
I agree - my SA will sometimes have things transferred to the store or hold things after I’ve not purchased but that’s because she knows me and I often need to consider and come back to purchase. She seems to have an uncanny knowledge of which items I’m going to do that with. For a new SA I think the nudge is a little much.

Although I also think SAs are trying hard to figure out where your impulse spend limit is + what kind of things you really like. I know people whose impulse limit is $50k, $100k so it makes sense that an SA is trying to figure out if you’re one of those lucky ducks.

I agree - my SA will sometimes have things transferred to the store or hold things after I’ve not purchased but that’s because she knows me and I often need to consider and come back to purchase. She seems to have an uncanny knowledge of which items I’m going to do that with. For a new SA I think the nudge is a little much.

Although I also think SAs are trying hard to figure out where your impulse spend limit is + what kind of things you really like. I know people whose impulse limit is $50k, $100k so it makes sense that an SA is trying to figure out if you’re one of those lucky ducks.
Thank you! Yes I definitely think he’s feeling me out. I’m not really an impulse shopper so it may take a few instances similar to this for him to figure it out. We’re still getting to know each other so it’s definitely a process.

Reactions: Letter
Can I ask a stupid question? If the whole point of the pre-spend is the relationship why are there so so many bags on the resale market? If your SA lets you buy a QB and you never wear it won’t they notice and not sell you another one? I know this is a naive question. I guess I feel like the resale market is insane so the relationship thing is not working so well. (I am new to this so maybe I am just being silly).

Can I ask a stupid question? If the whole point of the pre-spend is the relationship why are there so so many bags on the resale market? If your SA lets you buy a QB and you never wear it won’t they notice and not sell you another one? I know this is a naive question. I guess I feel like the resale market is insane so the relationship thing is not working so well. (I am new to this so maybe I am just being silly).
I guess I don't understand your question? The point of pre-spend and the relationship is to gauge who will really love the bags and continue to contribute to the brand financially even after they've gotten the bag. Its obviously not a perfect system, and people immediately flip bags for various reasons: couldn't afford it to begin with, trying to turn a profit, only bought for the social media clout/personal validation, or accepted a bag they didn't want to flip it and use the profit to buy the bag they did really want from another reseller. The prespend model hopefully makes it a little less attractive for purely profit seeking individuals.

I personally have several bags which I've never carried in front of my SA because my SA is long distance and I don't travel with my Birkins (opt for my K20s or C18s) but I don't resell them either. My SA has never commented on the fact that I've never carried them to the store and it clearly hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't use this fact as any kind of indication of the health of my relationship.

Hoping to get some feedback! I had been working with an SA in the closest city to me, and asked for a Picotin back in May 2023. After about 4 months and 4k spend, I decided to cut my losses, and stopped shopping with them around October 2023.

Recently, I was in a different city that I visit frequently. It's a plane ride away, but I'm there a decent amount, and would be willing to fly in for a QB. I met a new SA, and mentioned that I've previously shopped in X city, but spend more time here and am hoping to find someone to work with in this location. I picked out about 1.6k worth of items, and at the register, I asked about a Picotin in the size/general color I'd like. The SA went out back and came back with one, and also offered an In-The-Loop bag (declined this one). It seemed like things were going well, so I asked about the process of QBs at that location. The SA told me I'd need to build a relationship with an SA, that they were happy to help me, and asked me what I'd want. I gave them some sizes and color options, and they asked about a couple other colors as well. They said to please feel free to check in, never worry about annoying them (though of course I won't blow up their phone), and that they'd be happy to work together moving forward. Later, I sent them a text thanking them, and reiterating what specs I'd be interested in for a B/K.

To me, this feels WAY more positive and encouraging than my experience at the previous location, and for the fist time ever, I actually felt hopeful about getting a B/K down the line. I couldn't even believe that I was able to get a Picotin so easily on my first encounter, after so many dead ends at the other store. Does this sound encouraging to others when it goes to a B/K? Of course, I know I'll have to keep shopping and build up the relationship, but I wanted another perspective to make sure I'm not getting my hopes up!