Louis Vuitton is now a 'brand for secretaries' in China

I got my Paddington when it was reissued as part of the Chloe' anniversary in 2013!

off topic but i still carry my paddys, just bought a new one!
soon birkins will be considered low class, then it will be to the next brand and on and on
i only own one LV, a DE speedy 25 which i bought because i like it, looks great and the coated canvas gave me piece of mind about being caught in a downpour here in sydney
and i don't buy a bag to satisfy others, i buy what i like.
if anyone is going to judge me for the bag i choose to carry instead of for who i really am then that is a person i am not interested in

:P Hermès has been pretty good at preventing that for the past 35 years.

good for them but what i meant is that now you see birkins in the arms of any B listed celebrity (kartrashians come to mind) that the brand looses that sense of class and old fashioned luxury
now i am sounding like those people who said LV is a secretary's brand!
maybe what we are seeing is the ********isation of luxury? we all deserve it, that little something
some have money to buy the brand and move on to the next one once the brand looses its "exclusivity" factor, others are loyal to the brand for their own reasons (craftmanship, history, etc), other people are new to the brand and might choose to stay or move on, for others is aspirational luxury, the list goes on
it all come down, for me, to what i like and what can i afford.

Obnoxious article. The premise doesn't even work for me as it is not an insult to say that 'secretaries carry LV'. A working woman spends her hard-earned money on a luxury purse, and that brand of choice is LV. How is that a bad thing? Because she doesn't make millions of dollars? I don't think a woman that is in the working class is any less classy than a woman that married a very rich husband. The fact that the latter can afford a Birkin in addition to an LV doesn't make her any classier.

This thread is very interesting. A few years ago I sold all my LV bags (I only had four, which is a small collection for TPF LOL). I was sick of the perceived flashiness of the mono.

Well now I have come full circle!! Every time I see a monogram with a nice patina, I love it and can't stop staring! I just purchased a new mono bag. I think LV does a fantastic job of producing high quality, lightweight bags that stand the test of time.

When I was choosing my first luxury bag my friends told me to go for chanel because lv is a low brand. And if I go for lv don't go for mono bc it's flashy. I bought my first lv in mono because I love the style and the quality. It's durable and practical for my lifestyle. I'm a mother of three toddler. I can't fit their toys and wipes in a flap bag.

I am a kiwi chinese, I love LV and will always do. No matter what 'they' said, I still love LV for its quality and practicality. People always have their 'says' ..... so what and I don't care! :smile:

Well, considering how hard-working, practical, frugal and organized all successful secretaries are, and what awesome multitaskers and grey eminences they become... I´d say if they deliberately choose to spend a lot of $$$ on one bag because it lives up to their expectations (they give the best, so they naturally want the best, too), that is one heckuva endorsement for that bag, and if it´s good for them I´ll gladly take a second look at such a bag, thank you :smile:

When I was choosing my first luxury bag my friends told me to go for chanel because lv is a low brand. And if I go for lv don't go for mono bc it's flashy. I bought my first lv in mono because I love the style and the quality. It's durable and practical for my lifestyle. I'm a mother of three toddler. I can't fit their toys and wipes in a flap bag.

I really never understood people saying that LV Mono is flashy…
I find it rather understated and elegant…
It is brown with a light faint gold lettering… not exactly massively flashy in my opinion.
It is just widely recognizable.

Kim Kardashian has become the face of Birkin… You would think with so
many people hating her, that fewer people would be wanting Hermes bags,
however, that is just not the case at all…

The USA and Europe are not Class/ Caste Societies…
There is no longer the belief that the wealthy can have things
the Upper Middle class can not.
Credit Cards changed all that. :biggrin:

and while many people find Louis Vuitton Mono common,
Many people including myself, still find it a classic. It has done something that no other brand has done
other than Hermes, and that is keep a bag in their collection
that has been there for over 40 years.
Of course a LOT of women own Louis Vuitton Speedy bags..
They have been selling this bag for generations. Strangely, even though
it has been sold for decades, it is still a classic, more so than
Balenciaga City Bags… That was just a trend, and now, it looks dated…
Chloe also dated… Lanvin. Dated…
Chanel, Classic.. Of course this is just my opinion of these brands.

People need to stop worrying about who is carrying what bags, stop worrying
about what other people think…
and buy what makes them happy. Stop being the followers.

well said ! :tup:

Being classy is something that cannot be bought, no matter what brand you wear. It's your attitude and how you carry yourself.

If you're classy, you'll look like that even in a JCPenny handbag and if not even Berkin croc won't save you. (kim kardashian- do I need to say more :smile: )

In the end, it's all about what you love. Everyone will have an opinion and you can never make everyone happy so it's better to make yourself happy. I've a LV Mahina XS and I wear it everyday and still so in love with it. Agreed, it's the leather bag but it still has monogram all over.

This is how I view Louis Vuitton Monogram as well..

Fact is, there are Call Girls that carry Birkin Bags, Goyard Bags, Chanel Bags, Louis Vuitton bags.. etc.. etc.. etc…

On the other side there are Millionaires who carry Birkin Bags, Goyard Bags, Chanel Bags, Louis Vuitton bags.. etc.. etc.. etc…

There are waitresses who carry Birkin Bags, Goyard Bags, Chanel Bags, Louis Vuitton bags.. etc.. etc.. etc…

There are CEO's that carry Birkin Bags, Goyard Bags, Chanel Bags, Louis Vuitton bags.. etc.. etc.. etc…

I don't carry bags because of who else carries them, I carry what I like and
what fits my needs.

for people to get all High and Mighty over what income bracket OTHER people
are in who carry these bags is absurd..

If I am walking down the street with my Louis Vuitton Speedy
and see a homeless lady carrying the same bag, in NO WAY does that devalue the
bag in my eyes…

The Value in my handbags, shoes and watches does not come from OTHER people…
It comes from MYSELF…

I wear what I LIKE, not what OTHER people
might like…

just as the value in myself, does NOT come from my belongings,
it comes from inside me, who I am, and how I treat other people…

Amen SISTER!!! :smile: Great post :biggrin: