Look ma i can fly-i got wings!!! Sending this maxi baby back!!!

I read someone say that the life of the MAXI is suppossed to be 2 years -maybe that is the reason for the softer thinner leather so that they do not wear like the old ones for 20 years- encourage people to buy them more frequently???

where did you hear that?? can you imagine -- chanel deliberately limiting the life of a bag to sell more? they might as well put a little bomb that explodes automatically (like the messages in mission impossible) -- POOF! i think i would prefer that to a bag that develops unsightly wings and dies a slow agonizing (and ugly) death.

where did you hear that?? can you imagine -- chanel deliberately limiting the life of a bag to sell more? they might as well put a little bomb that explodes automatically (like the messages in mission impossible) -- POOF! i think i would prefer that to a bag that develops unsightly wings and dies a slow agonizing (and ugly) death.

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: I read it here on one of the MAXI threads-it was posted in the last day or so.

No,no, please lets not go there. They did not stop production that i know of....as a matter of fact, there is more demand for the red caviar cruise jumbo than supply.. What I am describing, was already addressed with pictures., it is a longer neck on the closure which makes the flap stick out from the body more than I had seen before., it is not a defect. The problems with the Maxi that you have described, and the pictures surely are a reason for concern, what a shame., The Maxi is such a good looking bag, what a shame if it is not properly constructed.:heart:H

:sweatdrop:so sorry- I am definitely behind on the info. When my SA told me that they were going to re-release it again and that I was on the list I just assumed (wrong of me) that production was stopped from the tearing problem-Nordies only got 4 and said they were suppossed to get 7. I am glad to know that it was not a quality problem-I am starting to get nervous about Chanel and just want to be able to buy without worry that the bags are not going to wear normally-Thanks for the correction!:yes:

Believe it or not, they are made in France. Everything about the bag is perfect, the stitching, the leather, the shape. It's just the slouchiness that I can't handle. I prefer flaps to be structured and totes/hobos (like the cabas) to be slouchy. :yes: I'll just have to wait for my stiff, caviar jumbo.

OK - so good to know and wish I had it in me to ask her to ship me a Caviar MAXI but just don't want to deal w/the hassle and the 40.00 to ship back! I did just email her and ask if she gets a Jumbo/france please send it to me-so Thank you for all of your knowledge and for sparing me one more bag drama!!!
Maybe it is time that I invest in the Velcro Company and promote usuing/buying it to make the flaps lie flat-It could get as popular as Purse on the Go..:P

Then the change must have taken place in 2007 since my 2006 jumbo's flap lies flat against the body of the bag. I don't think the body of the bag was changed., I looked at the red Cruise caviar closely, and I think the neck of the lock is longer and goes up a bit instead of straight out, therefore making the flap stay a bit separated from the bag instead of flush against it.. I was told that the reason for this change was that there had been problems regarding scratching of the CC by the lock in the past and the lock getting a bit stuck in the past and therefore this change was made. Again, it is not a defect and production was not stopped on the Cruise red jumbo, it was just a change that I noticed.:heart:H

^^^ I think you're probably right. Beginning in early 2007 they must have modified the neck of the CC lock in order to prevent scratching problems. That would explain the front flap's sticking out a bit from the front of the body of the bag.

I was at the chanel boutique today and tried on 2 lambskin maxis and 2 caviar maxis. They looked fine on display, but when I put my stuff in them, some had wings and some started sinking in on top :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Hmm, so I saw the maxis IRL today and I was not impressed at all. The caviar was waaaay softer than the lamb, and it literally turned to mush in my hands when I squeezed it... now I know what you ladies mean! :nuts: Chanel is saving me some serious $$$ this season by making the caviar flaps super soft!

Hi Sorry to hear that the bag is not working for you...

but ladies... maybe the designers at Chanel purposely want to give the bag a slouchy look, it's intentionally and not a defect, and I think there might be people who likes their flap to look slouchy too, we do have members on tpf who don't like to buy Chanel classic flaps because they feel the flaps look too structured, JMO. :smile:
That's what I was originally saying. I also never cared for the classic flaps because they were so boxy and stiff. A stiff Maxi that doesn't 'yield' across the body may be hard to carry!

However, as mentioned, I do think they dropped the ball on this, no one seems to like them.

Well and if it was intentional then the leather should all fall in the direction of the style-it should drape and the flipping up is flawed since it will crease and weaken the flap in no time at all and it also seems if it was intentional that the flap should have been longer not shorter more like a messenger flap that would lay down nicely KWIM??? I it is really hard to believe that they could have issed it so badly and not caught the problem in the early stages but mistakes happen- Remember when Marc Jacobs Launched his first fashion show and did not have one bag designed for the show-Nuts they laugh about it now but it was not funny at the time!

U R right- The roses will hold up for years-I think the GC's should be out the first week in Feb. at least that is what I am hoping for-Portland Saks took out all scarves and mostly everything except for LV mono but I did see the Roses in there last week!

Hi. Was just wondering if the GCs you are talking about are the ones that are from the last ones? or is Saks having another GC event again? Will Chanel be included this time? TIA!!!

There have been a lot of threads about the Maxi. Because this one made me laugh out loud I am choosing to add my thoughts here.

I was at the Chanel Boutique in Bal Harbor yesterday (just visiting). Of course I wanted to see the Maxi IRL.

We all have different tastes...... I am a lover of the flap and own both the vintage XL and jumbo in lambskin. I really liked the Maxi because of the larger CC's. BUT: The lamb was too soft - it reminded me of a cotton sweater that you know will stretch out. It is large and will be out of shape in no time. The bag should have more structure.

The caviar was simply horrendous. Sorry to all of you who own it and love it.

As for color they only had black and red. The red had coral undertones and was quite pretty.

I do not see this bag holding up over time.