Length of VA bracelet with links removed

My wrist size is 13.5cm.. I removed 6 links from my bracelet and I still find it too long sometimes, here is a photo of the gap. Current length is 18cm. Is this normal?

View attachment 5150934
Beautiful bracelets!! I have the same space, my wrists are 14.5 cm and removed 4 links. I sometimes also think it is quite big, but I do like movement with these style bracelets. So yes I do think it is 'normal', just preference for a more snug or loose fit. Maybe 8 links would be better if stacked. Others can chime in :smile: I do not stack mine at the moment.

Beautiful bracelets!! I have the same space, my wrists are 14.5 cm and removed 4 links. I sometimes also think it is quite big, but I do like movement with these style bracelets. So yes I do think it is 'normal', just preference for a more snug or loose fit. Maybe 8 links would be better if stacked. Others can chime in :smile: I do not stack mine at the moment.

thanks! Perhaps I’ll try twisting the chains (from the previous replies)…

Reactions: LuckyMe14
I thought of this exact conversation last night at dinner. My friend wore three of her VA bracelets - GMOP/Pave, Guilloche/Pave, Onyx/Pave. She has had none of them shortened, wore them all next to each other with the motif dangling. She has many incredible watches, the most amazing exotic Birkin collection (last night was 30 matte Blue St. Cyr GHW :loveeyes:) and plenty of jewelry as well. Like me, she would never shorten them because she would prefer to dangle the motif and have the option to wear with her necklaces. I think that, unless you would always wear it only as a bracelet or only as an extender, you have to decide which bothers you more: too big/dangling motif or uneven necklace/too short to connect two and wear as a necklace.

I thought of this exact conversation last night at dinner. My friend wore three of her VA bracelets - GMOP/Pave, Guilloche/Pave, Onyx/Pave. She has had none of them shortened, wore them all next to each other with the motif dangling. She has many incredible watches, the most amazing exotic Birkin collection (last night was 30 matte Blue St. Cyr GHW :loveeyes:) and plenty of jewelry as well. Like me, she would never shorten them because she would prefer to dangle the motif and have the option to wear with her necklaces. I think that, unless you would always wear it only as a bracelet or only as an extender, you have to decide which bothers you more: too big/dangling motif or uneven necklace/too short to connect two and wear as a necklace.
I can’t decide if it’s better to buy a 10-motif or two 5-motif bracelets to wear as bracelets or connected as a necklace. If I don’t shorten them I can manage wearing them as a necklace.

I can’t decide if it’s better to buy a 10-motif or two 5-motif bracelets to wear as bracelets or connected as a necklace. If I don’t shorten them I can manage wearing them as a necklace.
I would get the 10 motif, no doubt in my mind. To me, showing the clasp is ugly and takes away from the look. And yes, the clasp will show, it can't stay always hidden because a person is always moving. It will be "your clasp is showing". And then it's "well, I can't put the clasp in the back of my neck to hide it because it's not really a necklace and there are two clasps". Even if your hair can hide sort of hide it at times, nope, not for me

Plus two 5s does not equal a true 10. The length is not the same, and the motifs are spaced slightly different too. Most likely the length of two 5s will be off and not lay perfectly. And because these are bracelets, you can't adjust it to make the "necklace" really lay at the perfect spot which is important when it comes to short necklaces (hence the adjustments allowed for a 10).

Just my two cents... I vote buy the 10, a real necklace, adjust it to make it lay perfect on you. Then wear it with an ear-to-ear smile. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for being so helpful. The issue with my MOP is it’s really old and now shrinking. I bought it in 2004 I think so I am a bit paranoid about its fragility. I wanted the onyx because it is more hard wearing…I like the look of the Alhambra with Cartier but not a fan of the tangling with the long length.

I also like the idea of a piece that doubles as a necklace. I would prefer to redirect that extra 4K toward something else instead of one single piece. (I know I will spend that 4K but I like getting multiple items if possible.)

I asked and it is $180 to adjust the links since I got it ages ago. To me it’s not worth it since the issue is not just the length, but the fragility too.

I will definitely mull over your advice. I think I would wear it a lot as a shortened bracelet…just not sure if I want to eliminate the possibility of wearing it both ways…however you make excellent points about shortening it.
If your MOP motifs are shrinking maybe get some replaced. It’s been since 2004 so you’ve gotten some wear out of it. The price is about $180 per motif, or thereabouts. And if it takes a while you’re not wearing it anyway, maybe it’s a good time.

Reactions: Emily1830 and hhw
I think I’m not understanding. If they are not the right length as bracelets you won’t wear them as bracelets anyway. And the double clasps will likely keep being exposed. No hiding it with 2 equally spaced clasps, unless that doesn’t bother you. Voting for 1 ten motif.

I think I’m not understanding. If they are not the right length as bracelets you won’t wear them as bracelets anyway. And the double clasps will likely keep being exposed. No hiding it with 2 equally spaced clasps, unless that doesn’t bother you. Voting for 1 ten motif.
I went to the boutique and found out I can let a motif dangle to shorten the bracelet and use a chain to wear it as a necklace. See pics below.

Attachments

• DDE03C66-C7A8-4046-9BC4-E75EA269501C.jpeg
    DDE03C66-C7A8-4046-9BC4-E75EA269501C.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 244
  • FEC638B8-9FAF-4226-9636-43E5609C3037.jpeg
    FEC638B8-9FAF-4226-9636-43E5609C3037.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 245
  • C60A7A74-AE19-4CA7-AC1D-5488FCDBC837.jpeg
    C60A7A74-AE19-4CA7-AC1D-5488FCDBC837.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 246
  • B40758E1-D98C-4566-A8B5-0328EBF48384.jpeg
    B40758E1-D98C-4566-A8B5-0328EBF48384.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 239
I went to the boutique and found out I can let a motif dangle to shorten the bracelet and use a chain to wear it as a necklace. See pics below.

Do you want a bracelet and a necklace equally? It sounds to me that you prefer a necklace but see it as an added benefit to be able to wear your “necklace” as a bracelet sometimes. My vote is to get the 10 motif necklace now, then if you really miss the bracelet option, add a bracelet down the road. I prefer the option of a 5+10 infinitely to a 5+5 when wearing a 5 as part of a necklace. However, perhaps you will find that you don’t really miss the 5 or that you would prefer to add a different 5 next.

I would not wear it that way. It looks like the bracelet is too big for you, which it is and you have to let a motif dangle. The motif is clearly not a charm as you can see the loop at the end. It's just a hanging chain. I don't know why SAs even suggest this except they want to sell a bracelet. It's clearly not a good look.. the motif is just hanging there, stuck. Everyone has preference of course, and some people may love this look. Not for me though.

I will say this, if you are struggling so much to make a bracelet work, then my gut feel say it's not right.
VCA is fine jewelry, meant to look nice, and the reason why VCA allows for so much tailoring on bracelets and necklaces is to create a custom fit for the person. If I were you, I would just dive in an get a real necklace. I think you will love it instead of all these goofy options. But again, it's just me, and some people like one size fits all jewelry. For me, jewelry should fit the person, and jewelry should be worn as designed.

I like to focus more on how the piece looks on me vs. how many ways to wear it. One size fits all never looks great, there are always compromises.

Good luck! I know this is tough, but sometimes... if you keep trying to force fit something, gut feels just says no... stop trying (e.g. I had the same dilemma with a pendant, and I just smacked myself yesterday and said stop, quit trying to make this work :biggrin: )

Hope this helps! So many choices with VCA!

Last edited:
Right. You can. But bear in mind that hooking the clasp between the motifs will cause the links on the chain to scratch each other. One of the most beautiful features of VCA is their highly polished chains. They practically sparkle. It seems a shame to damage the links that way. But if that look makes you happy go for it.

Right. You can. But bear in mind that hooking the clasp between the motifs will cause the links on the chain to scratch each other. One of the most beautiful features of VCA is their highly polished chains. They practically sparkle. It seems a shame to damage the links that way. But if that look makes you happy go for it.
Good point, and noted. Thanks.

Reactions: EpiFanatic
Do you want a bracelet and a necklace equally? It sounds to me that you prefer a necklace but see it as an added benefit to be able to wear your “necklace” as a bracelet sometimes. My vote is to get the 10 motif necklace now, then if you really miss the bracelet option, add a bracelet down the road. I prefer the option of a 5+10 infinitely to a 5+5 when wearing a 5 as part of a necklace. However, perhaps you will find that you don’t really miss the 5 or that you would prefer to add a different 5 next.
Thanks…I would love to get everything but I have to be financially careful as these are big purchases. I do like the idea of wearing it as a bracelet as well as a necklace only because I think I could get my cost per wear down this way. The necklace is stunning but I don’t know if I would wear it enough to justify the cost…I’ll have to think how many outfits I can pair it with.

I would not wear it that way. It looks like the bracelet is too big for you, which it is and you have to let a motif dangle. The motif is clearly not a charm as you can see the loop at the end. It's just a hanging chain. I don't know why SAs even suggest this except they want to sell a bracelet. It's clearly not a good look.. the motif is just hanging there, stuck. Everyone has preference of course, and some people may love this look. Not for me though.

I will say this, if you are struggling so much to make a bracelet work, then my gut feel say it's not right.
VCA is fine jewelry, meant to look nice, and the reason why VCA allows for so much tailoring on bracelets and necklaces is to create a custom fit for the person. If I were you, I would just dive in an get a real necklace. I think you will love it instead of all these goofy options. But again, it's just me, and some people like one size fits all jewelry. For me, jewelry should fit the person, and jewelry should be worn as designed.

I like to focus more on how the piece looks on me vs. how many ways to wear it. One size fits all never looks great, there are always compromises.

Good luck! I know this is tough, but sometimes... if you keep trying to force fit something, gut feels just says no... stop trying (e.g. I had the same dilemma with a pendant, and I just smacked myself yesterday and said stop, quit trying to make this work :biggrin: )

Hope this helps! So many choices with VCA!
Thanks for your always detailed and thoughtful reply. Initially I was worried the motif wouldn’t dangle, in which case there would be no point in getting something that is essentially a bracelet. I’d rather dangle it than twist the links. But your point is well noted and I did notice six motifs are technically showing when I wear the 10-motif. I have a skinny neck so I find the length of the bracelet and chain works on me. In any case you have given me a lot to think about.

Reactions: BigAkoya
Thanks…I would love to get everything but I have to be financially careful as these are big purchases. I do like the idea of wearing it as a bracelet as well as a necklace only because I think I could get my cost per wear down this way. The necklace is stunning but I don’t know if I would wear it enough to justify the cost…I’ll have to think how many outfits I can pair it with.
I can completely relate. It is very personal which will work best for you, and any combination can be fun and enjoyable. My only advice is to think about which pieces you will want in your collection in 5 or 10 years, versus thinking about what you want this year. This is why I have at least 10 bracelets now that I personally do not need anymore. In retrospect, I wish I had started with all 20s, but I guess I had to ease in. I also had no patience and if a necklace was not available, I just bought a bracelet instead.
You know, I’ve learned nothing. I just realized I literally did this again just a few weeks ago. No 20 was available, so I bought a 5 just to be “better than nothing”, thinking I could always add it to a 10 down the road, but I am 99% sure I will never use it!
Just do what makes you smile today and give a thought to where you want your collection to be in 5 or 10 years.