Leather Surgeons- Cost and Expectations

After
844ddd6fc4fbeddeb84f83771aa11296.jpg
1f40dc12e4d95934ae721c6817582593.jpg
b3266a5e050138372d63d13a48c504f7.jpg

WOW!!!!! Amazing! :biggrin: congrats!

Reactions: CreamyPuff
I have a question that's sort of the opposite of this discussion. I have two vintage bags that need very minor repair, not a major refurbish, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to ship to LS. One needs an o-ring reattached to the bag and the other needs the leather on the shoulder strap resewn (function of the strap is not affected - it is an interwoven chain strap and the leather end loop has come undone). Should I send to LS or just use a local cobbler or leather repair service? I'd appreciate any advice!

I have a question that's sort of the opposite of this discussion. I have two vintage bags that need very minor repair, not a major refurbish, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to ship to LS. One needs an o-ring reattached to the bag and the other needs the leather on the shoulder strap resewn (function of the strap is not affected - it is an interwoven chain strap and the leather end loop has come undone). Should I send to LS or just use a local cobbler or leather repair service? I'd appreciate any advice!
It can't hurt to send LS an email to find out what they would charge you . You can contact them via their website. I found the response time to be less than 24 hours.

Many people do not now this, but Leather surgeons is who Chanel sends to do their refurbished spa service. Cwhen I lived on the east coast I took a classic flap to the Chanel store in Tysons corner. After almost a 3 month wait it came back and they forgot a ticket in the inside pocket that said leather surgeons and their address...at the time I did not think too much about it. Fast ward I am now on the west coast and 7 months ago I dropped off another handbag to the Chanel store at south coast mall and, again, after waiting 3 or so months my handbag came back and I've noticed that the same type of tag was inside from leather surgeons! In addition, if you take your bag to the Chanel store for the spa service they charge you over $500-I guess they need to make some profit off your bag! Whereas leather surgeons will charge you around $350. Big difference!

Hope this helps!

The one in Tysons quoted me at $500 something but said they wouldn't know the actual amount until it's finished around 5-6 weeks later.

I'm calling LS TODAY.

I just sent my square mini for repair since the chain detached and unraveled. I was quoted about $106 including shipping for a strap replacement. So far I've been pleased with the contact and was told the turnaround would be 2.5 weeks. Will post when I receive my baby back! I decided to not take her into Chanel for repair since I've read it could take longer, so tried to eliminate the middle man.

I just sent my square mini for repair since the chain detached and unraveled. I was quoted about $106 including shipping for a strap replacement. So far I've been pleased with the contact and was told the turnaround would be 2.5 weeks. Will post when I receive my baby back! I decided to not take her into Chanel for repair since I've read it could take longer, so tried to eliminate the middle man.
Absolutely cannot give enough love to Gerry and his team. They are actual magicians. Before I sent my bag I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with him. He told me his story of how he got started, etc, such a nice guy!

I also mentioned a bag I had bought on ebay, ared lamb vintage tote, it looked fine and everything but some of the quilts felt crunchy. I told him about the crunchiness and he straight away knew what it was! Apparently the inside of the quilts have a foam padding in between two pieces of interfacing and the foam can disintegrate over time.

Like I said, can't recommend him enough!

Reactions: Mumotons