Leather Surgeons- Cost and Expectations

skimilk

Oct 2, 2010
I saw another tPFer asked a similar question in Chanel refurb/repair thread, but since the thread is technically about Chanel the company doing refurb/repair and the question hasn't been answered, and I didn't find any specific thread in regards to this- at least not recently- so I decided I would make a new thread.

I have a vintage flap from 90s that is in need of refurbishment. I meant to bring it to Chanel but kept pushing it off- and now I can't! No issues w/ hw, just very worn and in serious need of refreshment. So I'm thinking about sending it off to Leather Surgeons for refurb.

I would love to hear from tPFers who has used them for the same service- complete refurbishment- especially about: How much did it cost? Did the result meet your expectations? Did you find the cost (and the time spent w/o your bag) to be worth it?

Please feel free to add any two cents re: LS in general as well! I am especially interested in recent experiences and ones involving vintage Chanel.

Thank you :heart:

And happy new year to everyone at Chanel subforum! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I have a vintage jumbo xl from the 80s and sent it in. Super professional and quick turnaround. I ended up paying about $385 for a full cleaning some restructuring and leather repair as well as having the leather replaced in the chains.

Getty is amazing and I actually spoke directly to him before he started working on my bag

I have a vintage jumbo xl from the 80s and sent it in. Super professional and quick turnaround. I ended up paying about $385 for a full cleaning some restructuring and leather repair as well as having the leather replaced in the chains.

Getty is amazing and I actually spoke directly to him before he started working on my bag

Wow! That is actually really reasonable! Thank you SO much for responding. Really appreciate it :heart:

Reactions: kking87
Many people do not now this, but Leather surgeons is who Chanel sends to do their refurbished spa service. Cwhen I lived on the east coast I took a classic flap to the Chanel store in Tysons corner. After almost a 3 month wait it came back and they forgot a ticket in the inside pocket that said leather surgeons and their address...at the time I did not think too much about it. Fast ward I am now on the west coast and 7 months ago I dropped off another handbag to the Chanel store at south coast mall and, again, after waiting 3 or so months my handbag came back and I've noticed that the same type of tag was inside from leather surgeons! In addition, if you take your bag to the Chanel store for the spa service they charge you over $500-I guess they need to make some profit off your bag! Whereas leather surgeons will charge you around $350. Big difference!

Hope this helps!

op, thanks for posting this! i've been hearing about leather surgeons as well and now that i've gotten into vintage bags, would also like to hear about others experiences!

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I have a vintage Maxi XL, and I need one of the o-rings for the shoulder straps reattached. I only want to send it somewhere I can trust will treat it like the treasure it is to me. Thank you!

Reactions: kking87
Many people do not now this, but Leather surgeons is who Chanel sends to do their refurbished spa service. Cwhen I lived on the east coast I took a classic flap to the Chanel store in Tysons corner. After almost a 3 month wait it came back and they forgot a ticket in the inside pocket that said leather surgeons and their address...at the time I did not think too much about it. Fast ward I am now on the west coast and 7 months ago I dropped off another handbag to the Chanel store at south coast mall and, again, after waiting 3 or so months my handbag came back and I've noticed that the same type of tag was inside from leather surgeons! In addition, if you take your bag to the Chanel store for the spa service they charge you over $500-I guess they need to make some profit off your bag! Whereas leather surgeons will charge you around $350. Big difference!

Hope this helps!

I think Roku has talked about this a few times on this board... but you are right, I imagine the majority of Chanel-buying public would not know!

$350 really is not bad for refurb. I think I need to get on it sooner than later!

Thanks for sharing! :heart:

op, thanks for posting this! i've been hearing about leather surgeons as well and now that i've gotten into vintage bags, would also like to hear about others experiences!

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I have a vintage Maxi XL, and I need one of the o-rings for the shoulder straps reattached. I only want to send it somewhere I can trust will treat it like the treasure it is to me. Thank you!

Pleasure is all mine! So happy this thread is useful for others as well! :heart:

I saw another tPFer asked a similar question in Chanel refurb/repair thread, but since the thread is technically about Chanel the company doing refurb/repair and the question hasn't been answered, and I didn't find any specific thread in regards to this- at least not recently- so I decided I would make a new thread.

I have a vintage flap from 90s that is in need of refurbishment. I meant to bring it to Chanel but kept pushing it off- and now I can't! No issues w/ hw, just very worn and in serious need of refreshment. So I'm thinking about sending it off to Leather Surgeons for refurb.

I would love to hear from tPFers who has used them for the same service- complete refurbishment- especially about: How much did it cost? Did the result meet your expectations? Did you find the cost (and the time spent w/o your bag) to be worth it?

Please feel free to add any two cents re: LS in general as well! I am especially interested in recent experiences and ones involving vintage Chanel.

Thank you :heart:

And happy new year to everyone at Chanel subforum! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I've been contacting Leather Surgeons actually for the same thing. I have a beige double flap from the 90's, very worn and in need of cleaning. They were fast in communicating back with me and even asked to review pictures and gave me an estimate. I would email them and see what they say. They come very recommended.