La Prairie vs La Mer

La Mer or La Prairie

• La Mer

• La prairie

Results are only viewable after voting.
I dont think any of these high-end department stores brands can really provide real, effectual results! I go to my dermatologist, and she laughs because people always think that going to a department store like Saks or Neiman's beauty counter and pay big bucks for creams will help anti-aging. No product bought at a department store can bring results like a dermatologist or plastic surgeon's office can! By law, they cannot contain enough retinol or ingredients that can really bring results. Only a derm or plastic surgeon's office can sell products that can really help aging. You should look into lines like MD Forte, Skin Authority, Revale Skin, Skin Medica, Prevage MD that have stronger physician strength ingredients that can bring real results!

Although I use the La Mer Moisturizing Gel, I don't use it for "anti-aging" properties. I use it because I like how it makes my skin feel and how it sets my makeup. I used the La Mer creme for years in my late 20s and early 30s and it did nothing to prevent aging.

What I would recommend is a derm and Retin-A prescription.

I also use Alpha Hydrox products. I like their glycolic acid and retinol products, along with their foaming face wash.

Also, do you use SPF on your face, neck & chest regularly?

I have used La Prairie, La Mer, and Revive. I liked La Prairie the best - they have many different ranges for all skin types and needs and the best part was I noticed a difference and did not break out. I have used a few items from La Mer and either broke out or saw very little difference. W/Revive - didn't break out but didn't notice a big enough improvement.

I would suggest getting samples of the items you are most interested in and see how your skin reacts.

I use products that have glycolic acid and oxygen creams/serums. I agree with others - Retin A and using SPF everyday helps a lot!

Reactions: Tasha1
I am a great fan of la mer original, soft cream, hydrating intensive mask and the lip balm. I just started a series of microdermabrasions, and the estician told me to keep it as a moisturizer, but get la prairie foundation and concealor...i did and it is fab. I have tried every la mer foundation and powder in sample form, nome of them worked for me.

I could not vote because personally I use both brands (GASP!).

I find that La Prairie is really good in terms of the basic cleansing (foam cleanser, my UHG of cleansers), toning (Cellular Refining Lotion - the blue one) and also exfoliating (Cellular 3 Minute Peel). I also really like the Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal color correcting SPF 30+ 4-in-1 day cream (moisturiser, SPF, primer, light foundation) products as well as the Swiss Ice Crystal Emulsion (SICE) cream. I have found with all LP products that I have tried, none of them have broken me out with the exception of the Skin Caviar line (however, my LP SA strongly recommended me NOT to use it because I am still very young and that it is very rich for my skin - I am 20 with acne prone skin with sensitive combo skin).

However, with La Mer, i found certain products to be a hit or miss. I really like The Mist and I use that as the first step after shaving my face to calm and sooth my skin, as well as The Treatment Lotion and also The Concentrate in terms of treatments. The Hand Treatment and the Lip Balm are also HG's of mine on the go. I also really like the Refining Facial as well However, I do not really like the traditional Creme De La Mer as that broke me out in hives as well as the packaging of their creams - I find it unhygienic and it is very difficult to dispense an equal amount of product everytime. I used to use the Oil Absorbing Lotion - but they have since discontinued it and replaced it with the Soft Lotion and I am not sure if I want to purchase that since I already use the LP SICE. The Reparative skin tint broke me out after ONE application on the counter as well.

Thus, with this being said, I use a mix of products from both brands as I take whats best for me. I know for sure as I go older, I would be changing products that would better accomodate my skin type, but if you haven't tried either, I would suggest going to BOTH counter sand get a consultation. They would usually give you a bunch of samples to try out and use for a period of time before you purchase it.

I forgot to add, in terms of customer service, being a luxury brand, I personally find LP a lot more caring and catered. Maybe its because of my SA who has a very motherly like persona and that she genuinely cares about your skincare. She tells me off when I subconsciously pick at my zits - and for me thats an A plus in my book!

I dont think any of these high-end department stores brands can really provide real, effectual results! I go to my dermatologist, and she laughs because people always think that going to a department store like Saks or Neiman's beauty counter and pay big bucks for creams will help anti-aging. No product bought at a department store can bring results like a dermatologist or plastic surgeon's office can! By law, they cannot contain enough retinol or ingredients that can really bring results. Only a derm or plastic surgeon's office can sell products that can really help aging. You should look into lines like MD Forte, Skin Authority, Revale Skin, Skin Medica, Prevage MD that have stronger physician strength ingredients that can bring real results!
There has also been some conflicting studies about harsh products like Retin A, peels etc. that too much can cause facial stress, which causes aging. Also too many needles in your face causes small amounts of scar tissue and over time creates a lot of scar tissue. Your derm won't you that though! Personally I use La Mer because its the only cream my face seems to love coupled by a couple derm serums like HA's or peptides etc. I have no issues getting botox or HA injections (juvederm etc) but everything in moderation. Derms will not say over the counter products are effective because it takes away from their bottom line.

Regarding the topic posted, La Mer for me because I can't take the perfume scent of La Prairie.

La Prairie's packaging seems more premium
la_prairie.jpg

la_mer.jpg

I'm a La Mer junkie and use their entire product line for my skincare. I have also tried La Prairie, but for me, La Mer is far better.
La Mer has several formulas for their moisturizer. One needs to pick the best formula for their skin. The original formula is the thickest, and it is not for everybody or every climate.

For me, I use the Moisturizing Soft Cream for day during fall/winter and the Moisturizing Soft Lotion for day during the spring/summer. For night, I always use the original Moisturizing Cream.

I also use their serums and layer, and if I had to choose my number one serum, it would be The Concentrate. That is the bomb. It makes my skin look amazing.

The serums I use (in layering order after cleansing) are the Genaissance Infused Lotion, Renewal Oil, Regenerating Serum, and The Concentrate. I can live without the Lifting Contour, Genaissance Serum, and Revitalizing Hydrating. These three serums did not do much for me, and I felt I got the same benefit from the other serums.

Other products I use to wrap up my cleansing routine are:
Cleansing Foam, Eye Balm Intense, Replenishing Oil Exfoliator (use this in the shower).

My skin looks really good, and I get compliments on how it glows. My husband is even using La Mer now, albeit only the Moisturizing Soft Lotion. Hope this helps for those deciding.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
I'm a La Mer junkie and use their entire product line for my skincare. I have also tried La Prairie, but for me, La Mer is far better.
La Mer has several formulas for their moisturizer. One needs to pick the best formula for their skin. The original formula is the thickest, and it is not for everybody or every climate.

For me, I use the Moisturizing Soft Cream for day during fall/winter and the Moisturizing Soft Lotion for day during the spring/summer. For night, I always use the original Moisturizing Cream.

I also use their serums and layer, and if I had to choose my number one serum, it would be The Concentrate. That is the bomb. It makes my skin look amazing.

The serums I use (in layering order after cleansing) are the Genaissance Infused Lotion, Renewal Oil, Regenerating Serum, and The Concentrate. I can live without the Lifting Contour, Genaissance Serum, and Revitalizing Hydrating. These three serums did not do much for me, and I felt I got the same benefit from the other serums.

Other products I use to wrap up my cleansing routine are:
Cleansing Foam, Eye Balm Intense, Replenishing Oil Exfoliator (use this in the shower).

My skin looks really good, and I get compliments on how it glows. My husband is even using La Mer now, albeit only the Moisturizing Soft Lotion. Hope this helps for those deciding.
The Concentrate IS the bomb. That stuff is amazing. (I'm impressed by how much you layer! I would not have the patience...)
And yep, my DH is now all La Mer all the time along with me!

• Love
Reactions: limom and BigAkoya