J12 for a 11 y/o boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sophie, he might be disappointed but just explain that you think it's too extravagant of a gift for a 12 year old - tell him that you will reconsider when he's 16. I'm sure there is something else his little heart desires as much as a J12.

Maybe I'll get him his own cell phone so he doesn't have to borrow mine. It still tells time. :smile:

I would say no. Where do you go from a J12?

I know.....probably Rolex? I'll be afraid to know. :P

Hmm, well it's up to you of course, but it's not something I would do. I feel like when the bar is set that high at such a young age, there is no turning back. Why does he specifically want a J12, if you don't mind my asking? Maybe someone he looks up to has one and he's trying to emulate them? It's funny, but kids now are soooo much more image conscious than I used to be at that age haha... I was happy playing tennis, video games and kickball! I think if you were to buy him the watch for his 16th/18th bday, he'd be able to appreciate/care for it better. My brother is only getting his Rolex after graduating from med school, even though my mom would have bought it earlier.. my parents felt it warranted a substantial achievement. JMHO.

He wants a J12 because his best friend has one and his mom is a J12 wearer, the fancy one with diamonds and his is black without diamonds. DS recognized the Chanel brand, mostly my fault as he grew up with Chanel in the family. :shame: Now he thinks it has to be good quality because of the name. Another fault is that DS is into fine watches, though not J12.

I would honestly say no. If you get him a J12 now, he'll be expecting bigger and better things every year to come. Can you imagine what he'll want next year?

The J12 is more of a graduation present than a present for a pre-teen. Just my two cents. :yes:

Yes, I can imagine this - which is why I didn't tell him yes.

Sophie - looks like he has been following you on your shopping excursions to Chanel! LOL

but I agree with most of the others here - I wouldn't - tell him it will be too big for his wrist hehe

:yes: I'm a bad mother because he knew about Chanel since he was born. When he was an infant (3 months old), I took him to his first trip to Chanel at SCP. As a toddler, he tagged along with me whenever I went. :shame:

Ok first of all, how does this boy even know what a J12 is?!?! Secondly, why does he think he can ask for something that expensive? When I was that age I would NEVER ask my parents to get me something that expensive. I knew they would laugh their asses off (I would too because I mean, really?) My expectations were never high enough to ask for a gift that cost in the thousands.

Don't hate me for saying this, but It seems like he's used to getting very extravagant things, which WILL become a problem. If he usually gets things like nice clothes or video games on birthdays and Christmases, that's the kind of thing he will ask for. Someone who gets gifts >$200 on birthdays is not going to ask for a J12.

No, he doesn't know the cost and the only extravagant things he possesses are Wii and PS3 consoles. He just loves the look of the watch and his recognition of the brand, so to him, it must be good.

What happened to swatch watches? lol I think its way to young. Is he into fashion? Maybe something else fashion related or something more age appropriate but still for him.

Nope, he's not into fashion....only likes the look of the watch.

Sophie, if you get him one for his birthday, then you have to get me one too for mine. It's March 11th.
:roflmfao:

Firstly burberryprincess - u have him well educated! Its amazing he knows what it is hehe, he'll definitely know how to treat his mommy when he's a bit older!

Secondly though, I do agree with the other members, its slightly too much for a boy of his age. Like someone else suggested, if he would like something fine and fashionable, maybe a nice backpack for school or a wallet along with a video game or a new console?

Not only a matter of him asking for more expensive things with every year but I also think there is a safety issue - a 12 year old with a J12 will draw alot of attention upon himself and his family, and its really hassle (or something more sinister) that you don't need!

Let us know what you decided on!

Oh no! Not another video game console. :Push:

The part I bolded reminded me that your son could also possibly be a victim of theft if a robber sees he has such an expensive item. It could also be a safety hazard for him too.

You and Laura711 are right. Yeah, I forgot about the safety issue connected with wearing a J12 on children. thanks for the heads up reminder.

He wants a J12 because his best friend has one and his mom is a J12 wearer, the fancy one with diamonds and his is black without diamonds. DS recognized the Chanel brand, mostly my fault as he grew up with Chanel in the family. :shame: Now he thinks it has to be good quality because of the name. Another fault is that DS is into fine watches, though not J12.[/quote]

Oh Sophie, I know what you mean. I'm getting scared too. I have a little toddler, and at 2.5 years old, he's already noticing my preferences. I don't take him shopping often, but the other day at Saks, he saw the Chanel logo at the cosmetics counter and said "hey, that's mommy's bags!" Then we passed a rack of Missoni scarfs and he said "Mommy look! Those are your blankies!" I have no idea how he even notices such things, but it's quite scary. I sympathize with what you're going through because I will be telling my baby "No J12" at some point too. Well, maybe he can get it as a present from med school graduation. :tup:

S., seriously, I think a cell phone is an excellent alternative. I am all for kids having them from the age of 12 on as long as they use them responsibly and firm rules are in place regarding their use. I am able to stay in touch and them with me. God forbid if they ever are in any kind of trouble (an accident, illness, etc), they can call right away and alert us. There's never any of those 'where were you?' or 'why were you late?' moments as we are able to stay in constant contact.
It's scary having them grow up and slowly start to not need us as much in certain ways and need us more than ever in others!

If it's any comfort, my 6 y.o. DS knows all the luxury design names too, especially Chanel!

He wants a J12 because his best friend has one and his mom is a J12 wearer, the fancy one with diamonds and his is black without diamonds. DS recognized the Chanel brand, mostly my fault as he grew up with Chanel in the family. :shame: Now he thinks it has to be good quality because of the name. Another fault is that DS is into fine watches, though not J12.

Oh Sophie, I know what you mean. I'm getting scared too. I have a little toddler, and at 2.5 years old, he's already noticing my preferences. I don't take him shopping often, but the other day at Saks, he saw the Chanel logo at the cosmetics counter and said "hey, that's mommy's bags!" Then we passed a rack of Missoni scarfs and he said "Mommy look! Those are your blankies!" I have no idea how he even notices such things, but it's quite scary. I sympathize with what you're going through because I will be telling my baby "No J12" at some point too. Well, maybe he can get it as a present from med school graduation. :tup:[/QUOTE]

:roflmfao: That is so funny. My problem began early and it's not only Chanel. When he was 3 - 4, I was really big on Prada bags. One time at Nordstrom, I picked up a Guess bag, and the minute DS saw it, he asked the SA why there is a Prada triangle but no PRADA name and logo. Both the SA and I were like :nuts: Then he loves the Chanel boutique as a toddler because he was treated so well by the SAs that I was getting very worried. Last Christmas, DH asked DS what he was going to get me for Christmas. His response was: all she wants is Chanel. :wtf:

S., seriously, I think a cell phone is an excellent alternative. I am all for kids having them from the age of 12 on as long as they use them responsibly and firm rules are in place regarding their use. I am able to stay in touch and them with me. God forbid if they ever are in any kind of trouble (an accident, illness, etc), they can call right away and alert us. There's never any of those 'where were you?' or 'why were you late?' moments as we are able to stay in constant contact.
It's scary having them grow up and slowly start to not need us as much in certain ways and need us more than ever in others!

If it's any comfort, my 6 y.o. DS knows all the luxury design names too, especially Chanel!

Yes, I seriously want to get him a cell phone now. He's already proven to me that he does not misuse the minutes or chat unless it's important. The school only allows them to turn on the phone during recess and emergencies.

Wow, you're too huh? :roflmfao:

Yes, a cell phone is a great idea.

Now I don't feel so bad, since I have Sophie and Cyndee for company. :roflmfao: Just think, their future GFs and wives will be so grateful. :roflmfao:

Now I don't feel so bad, since I have Sophie and Cyndee for company. :roflmfao: Just think, their future GFs and wives will be so grateful. :roflmfao:

haha! Yes, my DH and I have often joked about that! lol! :shame: Once he hits 16, the girls will be all over him like a wet blanket!
When he went to his first birthday party for a girl (in Jr. kindergarden), his gift was lingerie, swimwear and a handbag (tiny panties in a little plastic purse and the sweetest Little Mermaid swim suit!). lol! That little girl still to this day gets all giggly when she's around him, 2 years later. It so cute!

I'm glad I'm not alone either. :roflmfao: Gosh, I would love to do a survey on this and see how many moms would respond in our favor....to make us not look so bad. :P

haha! Yes, my DH and I have often joked about that! lol! :shame: Once he hits 16, the girls will be all over him like a wet blanket!
When he went to his first birthday party for a girl (in Jr. kindergarden), his gift was lingerie, swimwear and a handbag (tiny panties in a little plastic purse and the sweetest Little Mermaid swim suit!). lol! That little girl still to this day gets all giggly when she's around him, 2 years later. It so cute!

Oh, that is so cute of him, Cyndee. :P

Awwwww, how adorable. :tender: I would love to receive that as a little girl. He's going to be a heart breaker when he grows up, one who is well versed in designers. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.