Travel Italia! All things all Italy!

BF and I have a camcorder down here in South America, but he only used it once, at his sister´s party. When we´ve been out and about walking around and stuff we haven´t taken it with us. We have taken a digital camera, and that alone makes me feel like the world´s biggest gringo (when you pose for pictures, everyone stares, almost like they´ve never seen the process)! I´d say unless it´s a family event, ditch the videocam, but take a camera. A small, inobtrusive camera.

Have fun!

you can get a small video camera? my husband has this small sony camera that takes pictures and video.. Sony NSC-GC1 5 MP Black Digital Camcorder
0002724272308_215X215.jpg

Yes! This was my suggestion. I've got a Kodak HD Digital that is smaller than a pack of cigs, and it takes great video! All you need are about 10 to 15 second shots anyway, and then they get too drawn out.

You will adore it - there's no place on earth like Italy - Bella Italia! While in Florence, see if you can have lunch or dinner at Quatro 4 Leoni - a great trattoria, popular with the locals. Order the fiochetti di pere con salsa tallegio e asparagi - delicate pasta pouches filled with pear, marscapone, and parmesan with a cream sauce with tallegio cheese and fresh asparagus - out of this world. I actually have the recipe if anyone wants it. Also order their insalata Quatro Leoni - equally good.

If it's cool enough (or even if it isn't), don't miss the hot chocolate at Rivoire on the Piazza Signoria. This is not your ordinary hot chocolate! It's almost like a chocolate pudding and is served with whipped cream. Oh, God!

For gelato, definitely go to Vivoli near Santa Croce, and Caraibe on Via Ricasoli (you'll be on that street if you plan to see The David.) It's Sicilian style, and the family brings in all the fruits to make the gelati from Sicily. It's a little lighter than Vivoli's but equally as good. Oh, heck go to both places.

The designer mall, aptly called The Mall is about 45 minutes outside of Florence in Leccio Regello. Wonderful stores - Armani, Gucci, Valentino, Prada, La Perla, Ferragamo and many more. I got a couple of great buys there in 2006, including the most wonderful Gucci bag I've ever seen for less than 1/3 of the retail price.

Have a wonderful time. Somehow, I know you will! A group of us is renting a villa in October near Montepulciano, so if anyone has restaurant suggestions for that city, as well at Montalcino, Todi, Pienza, and Perugia, I'd love to have them.

Ciao bella e grazie!

In Rome, try the pasta place L'Archetta near Pantheon and Fontana di Trevi. I hope the restaurant is still there because it had the best pasta I've ever tasted and lots of choices to try.

Well, you can take as many pics you want of things you see in the streets (like Colosseo, the outside of churches etc) but you can't take pics inside churches and in most of museum, this is because the flash can damage paints. Pics and videos are considered the same.
If you ever go to a church remember to wear a propter dress, not too shorts skirt or jeans or thousers and a propter top because my friend from Rome came to visit me and she couldn't enter the Dome in Padova because of her dress.

Hey all, I'm going to Italy with my family June 20th thru July 5th, and I'm wondering, what should I wear?

I have most of the shirts picked out, but what about bottoms and shoes? I don't own very many skirts, and I know that (or have heard) the women don't really wear shorts there, and some places won't let you in with shorts. I would be willing to buy some stuff for the trip, but don't know where to start!

I looked up some websites and they said the weather in Italy around that time is in the mid 70s, is this correct?

I have one kinda flowy black skirt, but thats about it. And a pair of casual jeans and a couple pairs of dressier jeans.

We are going to stay in Lucca, in a villa, for one week, and another town in Northern Italy for the second week (don't know the name, I'll have to ask).

We probably will be doing some walking, so what shoes could I get that would be comfortable but stylish too?

Lastly, what are some main points of interest we should see while in Lucca? We will also be in Florence for one day, the day before we leave for Italy. What could we do there?

Thanks!!!

I wore mainly jeans for day trips when we went last time, or pants. A lot of museums or churches requires legs and arms mostly covered.
There's a thread about what shoes are best for Europe so as not to stand out like a sore thumb {read: me, Texas blonde :P}
Florence is fantatsic! There's a few great threads about Italy recently.

We're going in 2 weeks and I'm dying!

I’ve been to Italy many times and have never had any problems getting into places wearing shorts. As long as you look chic, no one will really care if you’re wearing shorts or not. Italy can get very hot in the summer so I would recommend wearing some linen shorts or perhaps some cute one piece playsuits?

In terms of shoes, wear some cute ballet flats or nice flat sandals. And if you’re going to be walking A LOT, wear some cute trendy trainers like Pumas or Hogans.

I wore mainly jeans for day trips when we went last time, or pants. A lot of museums or churches requires legs and arms mostly covered.
There's a thread about what shoes are best for Europe so as not to stand out like a sore thumb {read: me, Texas blonde :P}
Florence is fantatsic! There's a few great threads about Italy recently.

We're going in 2 weeks and I'm dying!

true... you must be covered in cathedrals which are certainly worth visiting.... Covered arms, feet and they prefer no V necks but as long as you are modest there is no real worry. These days you can also be searched or scanned (with those hand held metal detector thingys) before you enter. I lllooovvveeeee Duomo square in Milan.....

If you go to florence the gucci outlet is a MUST..... minimum 50% off - everything. :nuts:

Try to dress "chic," better to err on conversative.

If you are staying in a villa, then wear comfortable resort type clothes like palazzo pants.

You can definitely wear jeans in Italy. Italians have a lot of different style philosophies: the trendy DG logoed teens, the properly dressed women who wear silk scarves with everything, the fashion insiders who clash colors with Marni and Prada and a large designer bag. In general the big difference between Italian and American fashion is that they are not sloppy even when casual.