Is it worth it to buy chanel and dior lip stick / gloss / makeup?

pandorabox

"She was wearing all Chanel."
O.G.
May 2, 2011
I have never purchased these before. Ulta and sephora have been where I always get my "good makeup " from. I saw the Chanel and dior at NM and I was curious if it was worth it to take the plunge. Would love to hear so,e thoughts. :smile:

I currently have Dior Skin 'Star' foundation and I love it! Will definitely be re-buying once it runs out.

I have numerous lipsticks/glosses from both Dior and Chanel and love them all too - some of the colours are gorgeous!

In the past I've also tried Dior blusher, mascara and bronzer, both of which have been good quality. I like to try different brands which is why I'm now currently using Clinique bronzer, Benefit mascara and MAC blush, but i would buy Dior again with no problems.

I think it mostly depends on your skin type, the your makeup style & budget :smile:.

I am a huge fan of Chanel makeup- in particular the Illusion D'Ombres (cream shimmery eyeshadow), the Rouge Allure lipstick line and the nail polishes :smile:

I like Dior's mascaras and the lip gloss addict line- they are quite glittery though so you might not like them if you're not a fan of glitter.

I love some of the Chanel glossimer lip glosses. Dior Addict lipsticks are amazing and definitely worth the price. I own several and granted they aren't long wearing they are smooth and the color selection is amazing.

My favorite is the YSL Volupte Candy Balms which I own several colors in which are like a balm/lip gloss. They are amazing all year round because they are so moisturizing yet give a hint of color. These are pricey but definitely worth the splurge. I'd rather purchase a few quality lip sticks/lip glosses then 20 or more drugstore lipsticks.

I have a chanel eyeliner and its the worst one I own. I think in any price range, you are going to find great products and misses.

This.

Temptalia has been a great resource in helping me learn about brands and products. Her annual Editor's Picks are especially useful as a starting point for best-of products in both drugstore and higher-end categories. As just one example, she recently said that she really likes Chanel highlighters and some of their eyeshadows but thinks their eyeliners are often duds, exactly as unluckystars says.

I often enjoy the packaging and "feel" of luxury products and that's a big part of the experience of putting on makeup for me. Many will argue that what's inside the packaging is quite similar among brands though so it depends on what you value and your personal experiences.

I like Dior's mascaras and the lip gloss addict line- they are quite glittery though (...).
That's right. Please allow me to add however that Dior's Addict line offers a range of lip products, from "fluid stick" (13 shades) to "lip gloss" (18 shades of which 4 are non-shimmery) to "lipstick" (28 shades!). I sampled a few fluid sticks (a pigmented lip glaze, really) and am loving it! All 13 shades are non-shimmery, decently pigmented, and fairly long lasting (going strong after 6 hours still). DEF recommend.

I can't speak for many of Dior's products as I havent tried them, but their Airflash foundation is absolutely amazing IMHO. Whilst I frequently vary my foundation, Airflash is something I often come back to - it may be steeply priced at $62, but it allows you to adjust coverage from medium-full, looks luminous and even-toned every time (!), can be applied successfully with your finger tips/brush/sponge, and I personally don't feel the need to touch up my terribly dark undereye circles afterward which is a huuuuge plus... especially since I absolutely insist on natural looking foundation, and with minimal product it disperses maximum airbrushed look :love: . DEF recommend. Tried the Diorskin also; liked it but it didn't feel special or much different to other liquid foundations like Smashbox HD, Clinique Superbalance, etc. That doesn't mean that it isn't good.

Dior has an above-average reputation for their skin care line, and whilst - to no surprise- it's pricey, it seems money well spent. Their Hydra line moisturizer is in my top 3 (along with Clinique's Dramatically different & Eucerin) ..lightweight, hydrating, and I see a noticable glow and plumpness (which I didnt realise could happen with fairly young skin at 30!) . Tried Diorsnow, which was originally formulated for the Asian market, liked it also but I couldnt justify the pricepoint at $100+ because a) Hydra worked just as well, b) Diorsnow only had the added "benefit" of "brightening" my skin (read: slightly bleaching?!). So yeah, no.

As for Dior's eye shadow, yes, their colour pay-off is great etc. but personally I can't justify dishing up $62 for 5 colours ! :faint: I'm very happily sticking to Smashbox (recently got my hands on their Master Palette III).

All in all, Dior's worth a try. Like others have said before me, it all depends if you can justify spending so much on personal care products, and it's a matter of finding out which of their products suits you best.

Last edited: