ID This Coach item! -- Post any Coach item name questions here! --

We've had some discussions in the past of some unusal fasteners on various coach bags including snaplocks, spring closures, and turnlocks.

My suede fringe dinky 86821 has a rather unique turnlock construction that I don't recall seeing on other coach bags. It operates like a regular metal turnlock but it has a leather-covered center piece that can fold down - I guess it acts as an extra "security" lock?

You can see a picture of it here and there are more photos at the link below. Has anyone seen a similar style turnlock on other bags? Do you think that my guess is right that it is supposed to function as a security lock - or maybe it is just a bit of extra decoration - or both?!

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/page-1813#post-33767580

View attachment 5968996

This is such a pretty bag! I want to say I've seen a similar turn lock, but I can't place it. I can't see how the tiny piece of leather is enough of a deterrent to keep the turn lock from being turned or the flap from being opened if it is turned. I think it's decoration just based on the decorated plate around it.

I think that it is a small metal lever that is covered with leather, below is a before rehab picture of the turnlock; but I agree that I can't see a practical function for adding the lever, so it is probably just a decoration.

1711034615066.png

Reactions: Tygriss

My apologies on photos! It’s my first time. Could someone please explain.

Sorry, but I don't understand your post, do you have a question? I'm not an expert but your bag appears to be a tan and signature satchel that was made for the Coach Outlet stores in 2007. It appears to be clean and in good condition but I cannot tell from the pictures if it is also supposed to have a long strap, are there strap attachment rings on the sides?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't understand your post, do you have a question? I'm not an expert but your bag appears to be a tan and signature satchel that was made for the Coach Outlet stores in 2007. It appears to be clean and in good condition but I cannot tell from the pictures if it is also supposed to have a long strap, are there strap attachment rings on the sides?
I was only wondering what the name of the bag is what year it came out. I’m in the beginning process of learning about Coach. I do know that their small C are vintage. I have a pristine bag & matching wallet I found for $75. How do you know this was for the Outlet Store? Weren’t they on the “cheaper” side, if I’m understanding my research correctly?

I was only wondering what the name of the bag is what year it came out. I’m in the beginning process of learning about Coach. I do know that their small C are vintage. I have a pristine bag & matching wallet I found for $75. How do you know this was for the Outlet Store? Weren’t they on the “cheaper” side, if I’m understanding my research correctly?
It was made in China in December 2007 according to the alpha-numeric sequence stamped on the creed patch. The "F" in front of the style number indicates that it was made for the Factory Outlet Stores. Bags and other items that are made for the outets are often referred to as "MFF" or "Made for Factory". Small items like wristlets and wallets, that don't have a creed patch may have a small tag inside and there will be an F at the start of the style number to indicate that it is a MFF item. If there is no style number given then there is usually a "dot" on the small tag.

The outlet bags are good quality products and I have some MFF items that I really like and I use them often; but the "Boutique Bags" that were made for the Retail Coach Stores and for Coach.com are generally considered to be of higher quality, sometimes more unusual styles, and they often come with higher price tags, especially if you pay retail prices; but the boutiques and Coach.com do offer coupons and sales and periodic "Preferred Customer Events" so I try to never pay retail if I can avoid it.

Many fine Coach bags, both MFF and Retail, were made in China so that isn't an issue.

The outlet bags usually start out marked with a high price printed on the sales tag, but they are immediately discounted for sale in the outlet stores to make them look like an even better bargain.

Sometimes you get lucky and find "deleted" or "end-of-season" boutique bags at the outlets for discounted prices. They won't have an F in front of the serial number becaue they are not MFF - but they may have a "bullseye" or "target" symbol stamped on the creed patch to indicate that there are retail, boutique styles that have been deleted and sent to the outlet for discounted, end-of-season sale. You can sometimes get some great boutique bags at the outlets at good prices after they have been deleted.

The style number of your bag is F10929 and I see similar bags listed online for sale as "Signature Flap Satchel" or "Ashley C Flap Satchel" but I think that you'd have to find one online that still has the original sales tag attached to be sure of the actual Coach name.

I have seen the "Small C" pattern used periodically over the years but I have never heard that it is a vintage design. I really don't know much about the small C design, but the 2007 date and the MFF manufacture does not indicate a vintage bag to me, sorry!

However, it sounds like you got a great deal; you have a lovely, clean bag that suits you and it came with a matching wallet - and you got them for a terrific price, so you should enjoy them!

Welcome to the world of Coach bag collecting but it can be confusing! Check out the resources in the reference area of this forum to learn more about identifying Coach bags, see: https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/coach-reference-library.114/ Good luck!

Last edited:
It was made in China in December 2007 according to the alpha-numeric sequence stamped on the creed patch. The "F" in front of the style number indicates that it was made for the Factory Outlet Stores. Small items that don't have a creed patch may have a small tag inside the item and there will be a "dot" next to the style number to indicate that it is a MFF item. Bags and other items that are made for the outets are often referred to as "MFF" or "Made for Factory".

The outlet bags are good, nice products and I have some MFF items that I really like and I use them often; but the "Boutique Bags" that were made for the Retail Stores are generally considered to be of higher quality, sometimes more unusual style, and they often come with higher price tags, especially if you pay retail prices - but the boutiques and Coach.com do offer coupons and sales and "Preferred Customer Events" so I try to never pay retail if I can avoid it. Many fine Coach bags, both MFF and Retail, were made in China so that isn't an issue.

The outlet bags are usually start out marked with a high price but they are immediately discounted for sale in the outlet stores just to make them look like an even better deal.

Sometimes you can find "deleted" or "end-of-season" boutique bags at the outlets for discounted prices. They won't have an F in front of the serial number but they may have a "bullseye" or "target" symbol stamped on the creed patch to indicate that there are retail, boutique styles that have been deleted and sent to the outlet for discounted, end-of-season sale. You can sometimes get some great boutique bags at the outlets at good prices after they have been deleted.

The style number is F10929 and I see other bags listed online for sale as "Signature Flap Satchel" or "Ashley Flap Satchel" bags but I think that you'd have to find one online that still have the original sales tag attached to read the original Coach name.

I have seen the "Small C" pattern in use over time and I have never heard that it is a vintage design but I really don't know much about it, but the 2007 date and the MFF manufacture does not indicate a vintage bag to me, sorry!

It sounds like you got a great deal; you have a lovely, clean bag with a matching wallet and you got them for a terrific price, so you should enjoy them!

Welcome to the world of Coach bag collecting but it can be confusing! Check out the resources in the reference area of this forum to learn more about identifying Coach bags, see: https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/coach-reference-library.114/
Thank you SO much!! The one I have a matching wallet to is a separate bag. The creed# on it is
D0867-F12310. Can you tell me how to read it?

Thank you SO much!! The one I have a matching wallet to is a separate bag. The creed# on it is
D0867-F12310. Can you tell me how to read it?

There is a large collection of information here, especially on vintage bags. Read the entire thread:

Salearea Guides:

There's no library of style numbers and their names. However, we can usually ID most of them here except for some that were made exclusively for the Factory stores.. It's always best to authenticate them first in our Authenticate This Coach thread.

It's just an April Fool's joke. Tomorrow the forum will be back to normal.
IMO, the pirate April Fool's joke was dumb.

I loved this one! It fooled me (at first).