SaleArea guides

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
Now that ebay is removing the guides they've been hosting for years, those who use those guides have been forced to either save them on their computers or print them.

Tonight I found that the Salearea guides (including the Hyacinth/Salearea collaboration ones) have been saved to Salearea's Facebook.

AUTHENTIC COACH - VINTAGE AND CLASSIC LEATHER:

Coach, Italian Style - the Basic Facts:

Coach and the YKK zipper myth:

Coach creeds - the basic facts:

Coach Authenticity Guides - Facts and Myths: https://www.facebook.com/salearea/posts/2119900028027988

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hyacinth - If I've missed any, please add.

Coach Serial Numbers - the Basic Facts
March 12, 4:42PM
I contacted Greenpixie about getting a Pinned thread here to post the Guides and she agreed, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post all of them and then she'll Pin them, or if she has to set up the category first. I want to go through them before they're posted and do some correcting and updating too. That's going to take some time, I don't want to just copy the original Guides word for word once there's a permanent place to post them,.

Last edited:
No. The “See More” works fine. The links in the body of the writing did not work.
Yup, that's because ebay removed the guides!

I think I'll let Salearea know that the guides should be edited and those links removed. There are other links directing to the "shoes, purses and fashion accessories" board but that board was removed several years ago and consolidated with the clothing board and is now the fashion board.

Reactions: jookyvl
I can read the entire copy/pasted post, but the links embedded in the post are not active, at least for me, right now, FYI.

The links in the body of the post are to the OLD Salearea Guides and the old Shoes & Purses Forum and those links haven't worked for years. Please note the Salearea Guides were originally published in 2011 and I never had a chance to update the links when they became non-functional. Newer links to both the Salearea Guides and the Ebay Fashion forum have been posted in several places since the. Any link that includes ".reviews/ebay/com" hasn't worked for years.

Yup, that's because ebay removed the guides!

I think I'll let Salearea know that the guides should be edited and those links removed. There are other links directing to the "shoes, purses and fashion accessories" board but that board was removed several years ago and consolidated with the clothing board and is now the fashion board.

I plan on reposting and correcting the Salearea Guides here at tPF as soon as there's a Pinned thread available to post them in. Correcting the Guides on Ebay would be a waste of time, so there's no reason to ask Salearea to make corrections. A few of the rewritten Guides will also have to be divided between several posts to fit tPF's forum post character limitations. I'll also be including links to the appropriate Coach threads here at tPF, which we couldn't do when the Guides were posted at Ebay.

It doesn't make sense to me to start updating them until I have a place to post them permanently, i.e. a PINNED thread here in the Coach Shopping forum. It doesn't make sense to keep them in the regular post category because they'll just keep disappearing. I'll contact Megs again and ask about a Pinned thread.

Whatever Salearea wants to do with the Guides on any of their own sites or pages is completely up to them, but I'd like to handle what's posted here at tPF since I already have a pretty good idea what links AND other information might need research and corrections. The original Guides were posted seven years ago, so more than just a few Ebay links need to be corrected and updated.

Last edited:
I plan on reposting and correcting the Salearea Guides here at tPF as soon as there's a Pinned thread available to post them in. Correcting the Guides on Ebay would be a waste of time, so there's no reason to ask Salearea to make corrections. A few of the rewritten Guides will also have to be divided between several posts to fit tPF's forum post character limitations.
Awesome sauce. And thank you! Like the moderately to severely passionate / obsessed lol vintage aficionado I have become, I copy and pasted the guides a while back. And for that I thank you :biggrin: and thanks to all of you A’s for the knowledge you freely pass on :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Whoops - I didn't realize this had been Pinned. The thread title should probably just be "Coach Guides" for clarity but no sense in changing it now.

I'll start correcting and updating the current Guides as soon as I get a chance.

1- Introduction - SALEAREA COACH GUIDES

The following six Coach Guides were commissioned by Ebay powerseller "Salearea" and researched and written by me, "Hyacinth" here at tPF. They were first posted at Ebay's Guides pages in 2011, but like almost every other member-written Guide, were deleted by Ebay in April 2018.

A copy was saved by Salearea and is posted at their Facebook page, scroll down to posts from March 12, 2018:

(Salearea's FB page also includes an excellent Guide to UGG model names and numbers, check the March 30, 2018 post)

One copy of the Salearea Coach Guide on Serial Numbers missed the purge and for now is still available at Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/gds/Coach-Serial-Numbers-the-Basic-Facts-/10000000034886433/g.html

I'll be posting the Salearea Coach Guides here at tPF along with whatever corrections and updates I can think of. We're hoping we can keep this thread dedicated to currently accurate Coach guides, so if anyone has any suggestions or corrections please add them as a post to this thread. As we do in the "Answers To Authenticity Questions" thread, please add any updates or new or corrected information you find in a separate post in this thread.

We'll be happy to consider adding other Guides by other posters but to be sure that those are also accurate, PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE REGULAR COACH AUTHENTICATORS - HYACINTH, BEENBURNED or WHATEVE BEFORE YOU TRY TO POST IT, WE NEED TO SEE A COPY BEFORE ADDING IT TO THE THREAD. Daria48 plans to add her Coach Fake Serial Numbers Guides here too as soon as she can check it and make whatever corrections she feels are needed. Inaccurate guides will be removed. Almost all Coach "guides" on the internet are inaccurate or outdated so please don't try to add them unless we see them and OK them.

Please keep comments and questions in this thread limited to the subject of Coach Guides. "The Answers To Authenticity Questions" thread is still for general questions regarding authenticity, and the "Authenticate This Coach" thread for specific items you need authenticated, be sure to read the Rules in Post Number One of that thread. All these threads are Pinned here in the Coach Shopping sub-forum.

Remember, details of Coach items change constantly, so understand that we might miss a change or tweak Coach has made along the line. But we'll do our best to keep the Guides posted here as accurate as possible.

And I want to thank Salearea for urging me back in 2011 to put all this information together in some sort of format that could be shared with other Coach buyers and sellers. It took a while back then, but I hope it was worth it!

Once the Salearea Guides are posted, feel free to share the links with other Coachies who may find them useful, but they remain the intellectual property of Salearea, Hyacinth, and tPF and any re-posting of them anywhere else must give full credit to the creators of these Salearea Guides, including a link back to this page here at tPF if allowed. The same basic rules apply to any other Guides posted here.

2- Coach Authenticity Guides - Facts and Myths - SALEAREA COACH GUIDES

by "Hyacinth" for Salearea

It seems like every day we hear about someone who bought a Coach or other designer bag or accessory based on what some online "Authenticity Guide" said was proof that the item was genuine, or about some honest seller being reported, receiving Negative Feedback, or being forced to refund the cost of an absolutely genuine bag because the buyer or someone looking at the listing read in some Guide that a detail in the construction of the bag absolutely proved it was fake. Regardless of how good the motives of the people who have written and posted these Guides at Ebay and all over the internet might be, the information they're based on is often a hodgepodge of "Rules" copied from earlier Guides and usually years out of date, or based on just a small percentage of Coach's products, or only true for a very short time period, or that have exceptions that are never mentioned, or that were never true at all.

Online Guides should NEVER be depended on to authenticate a Coach. INFORMATION POSTED IN SOME GUIDE CAN NEVER PROVE A "COACH" IS GENUINE. NEITHER CAN A SERIAL NUMBER BY ITSELF. THE ONLY PROOF OF AUTHENTICITY COMES FROM A FULL SET OF PHOTOS THAT SHOW THAT ALL THE DETAILS ARE IDENTICAL TO KNOWN GENUINE EXAMPLES OF THE SAME STYLE, PREFERABLY FROM THE SAME TIME PERIOD AND MANUFACTURING PLANT.

This Guide isn't an Authenticity Guide and doesn't pretend to be, it's a warning about some of the incorrect information posted in so many other Guides. Any guide claiming to show you how to prove authenticity is selling snake oil. The Rules they include can vary, but the problems those so-called Rules create are very real and can be very serious.

Let's look at some of the Rules that have caused the most problems.

THE YKK ZIPPER RULE -
The worst offender - Hyacinth wrote another entire Guide about this. Scroll down a bit to find it.

The simple fact is that having zippers that say YKK on a Coach bag or other item can NEVER prove the item's genuine since Coach has used at least 5 or 6 different brands of zippers over its history and even today a few new styles use zippers that don't have a YKK stamp. That Rule also ignores the obvious fact that any fakes maker can buy either genuine OR fake YKK zippers.

THE CREED STAMP RULES
First of all, just having a creed stamp or a serial number can't prove anything's genuine. Almost all fakes have creed stamps and numbers, often accurate ones that match the bag's style, and sometimes invalid ones that can prove an item is fake.

Also, not all Coach items have creeds or serial numbers. Aside from the obvious items like wallets (although there have been maybe 6 styles with genuine creeds) small bags that Coach considers "accessories" such as Swingpacks, Pouches, Demis, Cosmetic Bags, Crossbodys, Minis - anything small enough to fit into a larger purse - may or may not have a creed patch, and those patches may or may not have serial numbers. There are no Rules about what style gets and doesn't get patches and numbers. NEVER assume that a smaller bag is fake because it doesn't have a creed. When in doubt, ask here at tPF's "Authenticate This Coach" thread (ATC), or at Ebay's Fashion forum.

Going back a few years - very old vintage bags might not have creed stamps, just a Coach stamp or small plaque clamped into the leather. Creed stamps didn't become the norm until some time around the later 1970s to early 1980s and serial numbers followed shortly (early ones sometimes were just stamped onto a long strip of leather which was glued under the creed stamp).
In the early 1990s, Coach introduced the Italian-made Dakotas that only had a creed specific to the bag with no serial number at all, and those were followed by the Sheridans with creeds but no numbers for many of its styles (see Hyacinth's for Salearea Guides on Coach creeds, serials, and Italian-made bags for more information).

And as if that wasn't confusing enough...
I'll borrow and tweak what Daria48 posted (with her permission) about Coach's most recent blunders regarding creeds and serial numbers:

"Coach has made several major, and in my opinion very foolish changes in the last few years. In Summer 2014 they STOPPED STAMPING THE SERIAL NUMBERS THAT INCLUDED THE PRODUCTION CODES AND STYLE NUMBERS ONTO THE BOTTOM OF THE CREED PATCH. Not only does this make it harder for buyers to find the style number and name of their bag, but it also makes it much harder to spot and identify fakes.

The stamped numbers have been replaced with two TINY white (recently other colors too) fabric tags hidden deep inside the bags, usually along a side or bottom seam and sometimes sewn near the bottom seam of the inside pockets. One shows the country of manufacture, and the other has 2 lines of factory production codes including Coach's style number. Photos of these tags are critical to identify and hopefully authenticate newer bags made after mid-2014.

VERY bad move, Coach.

Then in early 2016 they started including a cheap paper card in purses that they're calling a "Certificate of Authenticity". We've said it many times - there is no such thing. NO PIECE OF PAPER CAN EVER PROVE A COACH IS GENUINE. Any counterfeiter can copy and reproduce a piece of paper! And even if the cards were ID-chipped like some highline makers do with tags inside their luxury bags (Coach doesn't do that), once that card would be taken out of the bag, the "proof" is gone. The ONLY thing that can ever prove or at least strongly indicate a Coach, or any other product, is genuine is if all the details are exactly correct and identical to the genuine version of the same style made in the same plant, month and year. Don't EVER depend on a piece of paper!

Another VERY bad and irresponsible move on Coach's part.

To confuse things even more, Coach once again started stamping the serial numbers on the inside creed patch starting some time in 2017. Unfortunately they also continued to use some completely made-up "serial numbers" showing an invalid style number AND with invalid month and plant codes and NO year code in the serial prefix. Have these authenticated here at tPF or the Ebay Fashion forum."

Now for the related SERIAL NUMBER RULES
Again, not all Coaches have serial numbers, mainly handbags, business and travel bags, luggage, etc.

Any Guide that claims to tell you exactly how many numbers and letters should be in a Coach serial number is probably wrong or will be soon. Coach numbers can be as few as 6 digits for 1996 Summer Olympics items, up to 11 and possibly more for current year (2018) items if they were made for the outlets or for Coach's retail partners.
However, Coach numbers should never have 5 or fewer digits, should never be missing the "No" in front of the serial #, and should never have 2 dashes in the number with one exception - some bags from around 2000 in one specific plant may include an extra dash after the "No" . But usually there should be only be 1 dash EXCEPT for a very few vintage/classic leather bags from the late 1980s where the plant didn't set the number stamping mechanism correctly and it stamped 8 numbers and no dash. These should be verified by the Coach experts here or at Ebay's Fashion forum.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Fashion/bd-p/fashion

Having gaps in the serial number doesn't prove it's fake. Newer plants and older items where the numbers were hand-stamped would often have gaps and other glitches in the numbers. The entire number could be crooked or one or more digits higher or lower than the others.

The last half of the serial number on items made before 1994 does NOT include the style number and can't be used for looking up the style, on Google or anywhere else. If the serial number doesn't include any letters of the alphabet, it's from before 1994 and is just a random bunch of numbers. Please don't even try to use it for authentication or identification.

THE "COACH EMBLEM IS STAMPED ON ALL THE HARDWARE" RULE
This Rule can vary from "on all the hardware" to "on at least one piece of hardware". NONSENSE. Most genuine Coaches made before 2000 don't have any stamps on the hardware at all. Some may have one or maybe even two pieces stamped, but the more the hardware on older bags is stamped, the more likely it is that the bag or item is counterfeit. If all the hardware is stamped, it needs a closer look. Coach has increased the stampings in the last few years, but most of the time, there ARE no rules about this, it varies from style to style.

GO TO PAGE 2