I NEED a return/refund option! How about you? Seller and buyer opinions all welcome!

SomethingGoodCanWork

In Clown World on Prison Planet
Feb 10, 2017
When buying new designer items, returns and refunds are generally no problem. Most webbshops have very generous return policies in my opinion, often for free.

But then we have the pre-owned market. Most private sellers state that they don't accept returns. Which I, as a potential buyer, think is a shame for a couple of reasons. Many pre-owned designer bags can still be quite pricey. Whether it's a new item or a pre-owned, you just will not know if you love something until you see and feel it for real for yourself and not just on a screen. The seller may miss out on a sale.

Now, how do I feel about this as a seller? Returns can probably be a huge pain. Right now I can't remember anyone wanting to return anything I've sold (which could also be due to the mutual hostage situation we are all held in as sellers and buyers due to various sale sites' feedback systems :amuse: )

If you feel you have given it your honest all describing what you are selling, posting tons of pictures (and answering umpteenth :rolleyes: type questions. I know I've asked some :amuse:) I understand it can be exasperating. To add insult to injury, maybe you had to sell at a lower price than you expected. Or have been hassled with ridiculous price suggestions.

But seeing it from both sides, I think at least 1-2 days is fair to let someone make up their mind. Especially if they are paying you a substantial amount of money. No more than 1-2 days though, unless agreed on and sold to someone you know of beforehand. And buyer pays for shipping plus traceable return shipping of course.

Please share your opinions and experiences!

Last edited:
..is fair to let someone make up their mind.

I don't sell my bags.
And don't buy others' used bags.
Have considered resale bags few times.
Never choosing them in end.
For reasons you stated. And more.

Buyer should make up mind to commit before purchase, imo.
Rather than demanding seller refund for emotional/wishy-washy remorse, afterwards.

I don't see returns as a free, God-given right.
They always cost someone something, down the line.
Unless fake or slaughtered bag arrives, vastly different than description--accept is used bag, with all issues /risks associated, & be done.
Jmho.:flowers:

I prefer to buy new as well, but I’m fine with very good/excellent condition pre-owned bags and SLG as well. I have to be, because how and where am I going to find my most coveted black Bal City and Bal coin purses from the earlier years brand new?! (Not for lack of trying :smile:)

“Emotional/wishy-washy remorse”!? Aaaargh, safe space! Safe space! :panic: :lol: Yes, it’s probably something like that a lot of times but some things just don’t come through in pictures, do they? I take a long time deciding and I consider things thoroughly and usually don't just buy on a whim. For example, I recently bought a “small” wallet from Chloé, new from a store in another country. I have coveted that wallet for a long long time but despite measuring and comparing to other stuff at home and searching all over the internet for info on it, I had no way of knowing it was as bulky as it was irl. It hardly fit in one hand. I just couldn’t tell that from the pictures and had no way of looking at it in a store. So very happy I could return it and packed it up for shipping right away. I do think that the return guarantees are too long sometimes. Does anyone really need 14 to 30 days to know if they like a pair of shoes or a bag they’ve bought?

I guess the only option is to ask a private seller if they can make an exception and being a member here might help. Especially if you document your buys as many seem to do so a seller can see a bit of your "history".

I enjoy your posts and opinions, remainsilly, so glad you chimed in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2cello
I buy and sell bags on sites like eBay.

Of course, I don't like the no return policy as a buyer. LOL! But I understand it. Out of the last 15 bags I've bought (new and preloved) 8 had a no return policy. It makes me pause to make sure the seller seems to be trustworthy, the listing is accurate and complete and that I want the bag before I buy. But it doesn't stop me from buying. I always know that if the item isn't as described (damage not reported, it's a fake, etc.) I can return it. And if it is as described, I want it. So no worries.

As a seller I have a no returns policy because I accurately describe the items I sell. In fact if anything I really undersell them so the buyer will be very happy to avoid issues. So after providing a very detailed description and the maximum allowable number of photos, I expect the buyer to know what they are buying and be confident they want it BEFORE buying.

If they decide they don't want it because they misjudged the color, size, etc, I expect them to keep the bag as that was their error. If they try it out and feel it won't meet their needs I still expect them to keep it. That was their misjudgement. (When I make those kind of mistakes when buying on an eBay kind of site, I keep the bag and resell it. I don't send it back - the seller wasn't in error or fraudulent. I kick myself for not buying better and accept the consequences. I don't expect the seller to make up for my error.)

Also, people buying from me are getting a discount because I'm an individual not a store. I can't charge the same price that Fashionphile, etc can charge on the exact same bag. So as a trade off of the buyer enjoying that discount, they don't get the generous return policy a store, which does a volume business, can give. If they want that privilege, they need to pay a little more with a store.

One other issue with returns is people rarely care for your item. I used to accept returns within 15 days of receipt. Then I got one bag returned in a box much too small for the bag. So I now had a damaged bag I had to sell for less. Same with a pair of sunglasse that didn't have a case. I sent them padded in a rigid box. The buyer returned them with no padding in a flimsy box and they got broken in transit back to me. eBay doesn't make the seller "whole" in those circumstances. I also got several other returns just because the people didn't want it. I was out the original shipping and in some cases insurance. I'm not a store. I can't absorb those losses because someone changes their mind. And I shouldn't have to. So now I don't accept returns because I know more often than not my items won't come back as I sent it and I don't want to be out postage and insurance for someone doing a lookiloo instead of taking the time to really know they want the item. The better buyers know what they want and are educated on the item. I'm happy to pass up indecisive or uneducated buyers that have a higher likelihood of being a problem down the road.

I may sound a little hard line on this but I think that with transactions between individuals (vs. with a store) everyone has significant responsibility. The seller needs to be very up front and accurate on what they are selling. No excuses for not being able to take good pictures or measurements or clearly note flaws. Get the listing right if you want to sell. Then the buyer has a responsibility to read the listing, give the purchase some meaningful thought and only buy when they know they truly want the thing. Then they need to keep it when they just change their minds or decide they want something different.

At the end of the day, buying new retail with a return policy is an option. If someone wants a bargain, (like I do!) they have to accept they aren't getting the full retail experience.

I think if you are familiar with the bag - if you've seen a similar bag that you are thinking about buying on-line in real life, then the risk is lower. I'm just learning about bags so I would not buy a no return bag from an online source right now, whether it is used or not.

Last year, I bought a new, small mackage bag from a retailer online. I did love the bag except that the measurements were misleading. They weren't wrong but they were misleading in that the leather was layered and so the frame was very thick - leaving a much smaller space on the inside than one would gather from the bag measurements themselves. So I returned it for that reason.

These bags can be a lot of money so I avoid gambling over them.

Last edited:
I've purchased quite a few pre-loved Balenciagas that were up to 10 years old. It would be impossible to find that color/leather combo these days, so sometimes, it's not a choice if you're in a love with a bag they no longer make.
But, there was only one time I bought from an individual. It was on Bonanza, and I realized she was on TPF - with thousands of posts, and an extensive Bal collection. So I took my chances.
Otherwise, I buy from known pre-loved stores, not individuals. These places rely solely on their reputations so they don't sell fakes or items in terrible condition. There's always full disclosure so I'm comfortable buying.

With all that said, sellers aren't in the business of sending out an item for inspection, and waiting to see if there's buyers remorse. I know that's not what you mean, but it sounds a little like that's what you're saying. So as long as the item is described properly, I don't see the big deal for no returns.
If the item is not as described, the return policy won't make a difference. That's just fraud and any good CC company would start a claim against the seller and issue you a refund anyway.

Fair enough, I can see your points although I don't totally agree which might be because I'm not selling now, I'm looking to buy. I appreciate your honest opinions everyone. I'm too tired right now to come up with any objections but that might also be because I don't have any :smile:

Have a good night or day everyone wherever you are!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Just me but I will not purchase from anyone if there is a no return policy. I will keep hunting until I find what I want with a return policy. I have just read too much about fakes, etc., to take the chance. Plus being married to a law enforcement professional makes me more paranoid than most.

I buy alot of preloved and have returned items. I only do so if the seller has given faulty info.
In Finland, it doesn't matter what you state about not accepting returns, if you sell a bag online and state it's f.e. "mint condition" and the truth is it's got scuffs, color wear or any other flaws, you are guilty of fraud. Same goes for size, authenticity etc. If you don't return my money and pay for return postage, I will report you to the police and you will go to court. That's it.

When I sell, I don't need to think about returns because I always make sure I list all of the items' flaws and provide alot of pictures and, if possible, a link to the manufacturer's product info. Never had an issue with anyone buying from me, everyone's been satisfied with their purchase.
Once a buyer backed away from a deal because she hadn't read the whole description and looked at the photos. I went across town on two buses to meet her wth the bag, she took a look at it and decided she didn't want it. I actually could have demanded she go through with the purchase because of the law gives me the right to do so (a deal is a deal and it must be respected), but decided not to. Instead I thanked her, took my bag home and later traded it for something I really like. But I am never doing business with her again.

Just me but I will not purchase from anyone if there is a no return policy. I will keep hunting until I find what I want with a return policy. I have just read too much about fakes, etc., to take the chance. Plus being married to a law enforcement professional makes me more paranoid than most.

No one is questioning returning a fake or a bag that is significantly not as described.
As a buyer, I try to do my research on the bag well before I buy it online. I have tried it on, looked at colors, and made an informed decision as to whether I want it. This goes for store purchases as well, if possible. Unless something is beat up, scuffed, etc., I would not seek to return.
I will admit, though, after getting a couple of bags described as pristine that were clearly well-used, I try only to buy new bags. I am picky.

Well that is one of the concerns - not all sellers are scrupulously honest. Even aside from honesty, there could be a genuine difference of opinion as to what is pristine and what is not. I take note that, regardless of their opinions on returns, most of the posters here won't buy used product from unknown sources.

If sellers can sell their bags with a no returns policy though, great. I think this very much a whatever the market will bear thing.

As a buyer: I require a return option.

As a seller: I don't offer a return policy per se *but* I understand if the buyer wants to return, especially a place like Ebay, just
take it back (they can pay the return shipping) or risk losing both the $$ and the item. Not worth fighting about it.

I buy and sell bags on sites like eBay.

Of course, I don't like the no return policy as a buyer. LOL! But I understand it. Out of the last 15 bags I've bought (new and preloved) 8 had a no return policy. It makes me pause to make sure the seller seems to be trustworthy, the listing is accurate and complete and that I want the bag before I buy. But it doesn't stop me from buying. I always know that if the item isn't as described (damage not reported, it's a fake, etc.) I can return it. And if it is as described, I want it. So no worries.

As a seller I have a no returns policy because I accurately describe the items I sell. In fact if anything I really undersell them so the buyer will be very happy to avoid issues. So after providing a very detailed description and the maximum allowable number of photos, I expect the buyer to know what they are buying and be confident they want it BEFORE buying.

If they decide they don't want it because they misjudged the color, size, etc, I expect them to keep the bag as that was their error. If they try it out and feel it won't meet their needs I still expect them to keep it. That was their misjudgement. (When I make those kind of mistakes when buying on an eBay kind of site, I keep the bag and resell it. I don't send it back - the seller wasn't in error or fraudulent. I kick myself for not buying better and accept the consequences. I don't expect the seller to make up for my error.)

Also, people buying from me are getting a discount because I'm an individual not a store. I can't charge the same price that Fashionphile, etc can charge on the exact same bag. So as a trade off of the buyer enjoying that discount, they don't get the generous return policy a store, which does a volume business, can give. If they want that privilege, they need to pay a little more with a store.

One other issue with returns is people rarely care for your item. I used to accept returns within 15 days of receipt. Then I got one bag returned in a box much too small for the bag. So I now had a damaged bag I had to sell for less. Same with a pair of sunglasse that didn't have a case. I sent them padded in a rigid box. The buyer returned them with no padding in a flimsy box and they got broken in transit back to me. eBay doesn't make the seller "whole" in those circumstances. I also got several other returns just because the people didn't want it. I was out the original shipping and in some cases insurance. I'm not a store. I can't absorb those losses because someone changes their mind. And I shouldn't have to. So now I don't accept returns because I know more often than not my items won't come back as I sent it and I don't want to be out postage and insurance for someone doing a lookiloo instead of taking the time to really know they want the item. The better buyers know what they want and are educated on the item. I'm happy to pass up indecisive or uneducated buyers that have a higher likelihood of being a problem down the road.

I may sound a little hard line on this but I think that with transactions between individuals (vs. with a store) everyone has significant responsibility. The seller needs to be very up front and accurate on what they are selling. No excuses for not being able to take good pictures or measurements or clearly note flaws. Get the listing right if you want to sell. Then the buyer has a responsibility to read the listing, give the purchase some meaningful thought and only buy when they know they truly want the thing. Then they need to keep it when they just change their minds or decide they want something different.

At the end of the day, buying new retail with a return policy is an option. If someone wants a bargain, (like I do!) they have to accept they aren't getting the full retail experience.

Aah, Sparkletastic, but we’ll always have 70’s disco and a mutual understanding of non-blood relations who give you :whut: "gifts" :lol:

(Thank you for your interesting and thorough answer :flowers:)

I buy alot of preloved and have returned items. I only do so if the seller has given faulty info.
In Finland, it doesn't matter what you state about not accepting returns, if you sell a bag online and state it's f.e. "mint condition" and the truth is it's got scuffs, color wear or any other flaws, you are guilty of fraud. Same goes for size, authenticity etc. If you don't return my money and pay for return postage, I will report you to the police and you will go to court. That's it.

When I sell, I don't need to think about returns because I always make sure I list all of the items' flaws and provide alot of pictures and, if possible, a link to the manufacturer's product info. Never had an issue with anyone buying from me, everyone's been satisfied with their purchase.
Once a buyer backed away from a deal because she hadn't read the whole description and looked at the photos. I went across town on two buses to meet her wth the bag, she took a look at it and decided she didn't want it. I actually could have demanded she go through with the purchase because of the law gives me the right to do so (a deal is a deal and it must be respected), but decided not to. Instead I thanked her, took my bag home and later traded it for something I really like. But I am never doing business with her again.

Other parts of Scandinavia are similar law-wise but on certain larger sell sites I think the feedback system functions more like a kind of terror balancing "you give me bad feedback, I'll give you worse so don't you even dare!!!"-sort of situation. In such cases it's definitely better to just let it go. But luckily most people aren't like that and will work to resolve a situation.

I hope she at least thanked you for going out of your way like that!

Well that is one of the concerns - not all sellers are scrupulously honest. Even aside from honesty, there could be a genuine difference of opinion as to what is pristine and what is not. I take note that, regardless of their opinions on returns, most of the posters here won't buy used product from unknown sources.

If sellers can sell their bags with a no returns policy though, great. I think this very much a whatever the market will bear thing.

Yes to everything :smile:

As a buyer: I require a return option.

As a seller: I don't offer a return policy per se *but* I understand if the buyer wants to return, especially a place like Ebay, just
take it back (they can pay the return shipping) or risk losing both the $$ and the item. Not worth fighting about it.

That's more than fair. I don't mind a no return policy for something if it's not that expensive but when something is costing several thousand EUR. or more I'd feel awful if what I purchased didn't live up to my expectations (imagined or not :smile: ).

I feel the same and no, it's not paranoia. It's common sense whether you are a buyer or seller to be careful. I can see it from both points.

I'm not an American but thank your husband for the service he and others in his profession are providing to try and keep us all safe. You are both brave :flowers:

Last edited:
In my defense, let me point out that in my search for my current HG:s, I’m not primarily looking to make a bargain although that’d be really welcome. I’d buy them new if I could find and afford them but as I wrote before I’m perfectly fine with high quality pre-owned. And I am willing to pay for excellent condition pre-owned. But fairly, meaning supply and demand applies equally for both buyers and sellers, whether we like it or not. So we all have to be realistic.

I guess my take away from this discussion is that I understand better the reasoning behind why many sellers don’t accept returns. You’re not just being a nuisance :P I never maltreat something I return, I treat these items better than my own, so I just forgot to factor that in. I know it happens and it destroys trust for everyone.

OK, I’ll have to comply. Or just not buy because I still want to have at least a day to return. But hopefully I will find a seller who will suit. Or Balenciaga will miraculously start making City:s with RH in their current Chévre. You have to keep the faith!