I hope this isn't a stupid question.....but it might be

shopmom -- i'm going to buck the general trend and suggest you pack:

• old, ratty jeans or khakis - preferable kind of dirty looking, holes optional;
  • a couple of baggy t-shirts;
  • some weekend sweaters;
  • pretty underthings; and
  • beautiful, comfortable shoes or boots.
when you get to your hotel room burst into tears because you feel so frumpy and how can your hubby stand to be seen with you, and no you can't possibly go anyplace for dinner looking like a ragamuffin from the states. then you go out and buy two or three nice outfits and a dinner dress. you smile, and flirt and take the hub to dinner because you're so happy! but it's a little chilly walking back from the restaurant so first thing tomorrow you have to pop in at 24 fabourg to pick up a shawl -- just in case. if you're lucky it will rain, and then you find a smashing boutique to pick up stylish trench.

nice undies, for the reasons grandma told you. and nice shoes, for walking to all the shops.

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Ok....THIS packing list I like!!!!

How did you know this is the strategy I employ when we go to Italy? Only with shoes.....I never pack the right shoes and then we just HAVE to do a little shopping and that's how I come home with some pretty swanky shoes and boots....works like a charm!

first off, as we all know if you walk into an hermes no matter where it is -- with one of their bags they treat you well....even the ones in paris...but I would go along with socal, great jeans, a great jacket and few light cashmere sweaters and ballet flats....a white shirt or two.
evening for the better restaurants they do dress up....but one great black skirt and a belt and sweater should take you anywhere...with your bags!
this season i would probably do a legging and little black dress....
have fun....don't get there at closing time like oprah!!!!!!! i was literally tossed out of lanvin last year at six o'clock, the guy started screaming "everyone out, now"

OMG...Shopmom!! Oh I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris!
Whatever you pack will be perfect. I was never in Paris so I can't be of much help, but I love everyone's ideas! My former SA, who was Parisian, told me that in Paris she see's more Bolides than Kellys.
I don't know for sure, but just a thought.

arrrgh, i run off to the gym for a few hours (v. nec as last night had big binge dinner w/ loads foie gras and champagne) and i miss all the good stuff on what shopmom should pack.

love dressage queen's suggestions. ooooh, next time i'll definitely keep that in mind.

Take some time to walk the small bridges and streets in the evening when the sky is dark and the lights are shimmering and few people are out and about. Its just too too too lovely.

Add me to the chorus of "Black! Tod's! Scarves!" and layers in general.

In fact, layers are key, especially because Parisian weather is fickle. I don't know if you'll need a heavy coat (you can always buy one there! -- which is what I say to myself to justify just about every coat I've ever bought there). I spend parts of the year there and have found a good trenchcoat indispensable, as well as black dress trousers, jeans and cashmere sweaters for layering. If you're planning on serious shoe shopping (and since you may want to do this in Italy as well), bring a pair of walking shoes, like Tod's driving mocs or low boots, and maybe heels to wear in the evening, depending on where you'll be dining.

Speaking of which: have you and your DH mapped out a culinary itinerary yet?

There is a magnificent little gem of a restaurant in St Germain called Les Bouquinistes ( bouquinistes ). My favorite cafe (also in St Germain des Pres) is Les Editeurs ( [ café restaurant les éditeurs - café littéraire ] ), just a skip from Metro Odeon. There's always some celebrity-spotting going on there, but I'm usually too absorbed by the food and wine to notice other patrons, although the last time we were there, Catherine Deneuve and a friend were having dinner at the next table.

If you have time, you might also enjoy lunch at L'Avenue (41, ave Montaigne), where Mon-Fri like clockwork you'll find John Galliano holding court and having lunch (unless he's traveling, of course) since it's just across the street from the Dior HQ.

Gosh! So many places!

Have you been to Georges, at the very top of the Centre Pompidou? It looked lovely enough in Le Divorce when Kate Hudson and Thierry L'Hermitte were having lunch, but it's even nicer IRL because of the glass walls and breathtaking views.

And once you've bought your Birkins and Kellys (if there are any in stock, it would seem a shame to buy just one ;) ), treat yourself to tea at Laduree and some macarons -- or better yet, if you happen to have time, stop by Pierre Herme on rue Bonaparte (just on the corner of Place St Suplice, across from the YSL boutique) and take away a selection of mini-macarons in delicious and unusual flavors like: rose, fruit de la passion/chocolat, and huile d'olive/vanille. If there's a queue outside Pierre Herme, don't worry, it's worth it! If you like the macarons, you can always take them away in one of their pretty boxes since you'll have plenty of room in your new Birkin (or Kelly)!

*sigh* ... I hope you have a lovely time, shopmom -- it sounds like heaven!

Just want to add to Gina B's list of places, "Mariage Frères" tea rooms, there are several in Paris...they have an amazing quantity of different teas, lovely cakes and sandwiches, and the style is "colonial old world",I love it.... Also, in St.Germain, the famous "Flore" and "Les deux Magots" are the famous cafès where all the writers and artists used to hang out....

PS: I've just checked under "Mariage Frères", and it gives you all the info about them and where they are...(I went to the Etoile one, at the top of Faubourg St. Honoré...)

Add to the macaroon list - the ones from Jean-Paul Hevin on Rue St Honore are to die for.

And after you go to the Laduree on Rue Royale, stop by Vertu and check out the new ORANGE phone that they have for the fall. It's the same as the Hermes orange, or close enough (didn't have my shopping bags with me, as Hermes, ultra-civillised, delivers to your hotel).

^ omg, yes, you must stop by Laduree AND Dalloyau! They're hands down the best patisseries in Paris.

As for dress code, ok, take the normal dress code for Berkeley and pack exactly the opposite. The French are not exactly RTW in the streets but they do have style. And for those holey jeans, save them for the plane trip but whatever you do, do not wear them while you're sight-seeing.

OMG - you're going to have so much fun! I adore Paris. It's the first European city that I've visited and by far my favorite.

Have a wonderful time. Take tons of pictures and don't worry about internet connection. You're going to be too busy looking at the gorgeous architecture, sampling the delicious food, shopping, etc. You're about to visit one of the most romantic cities in the world...:love:

Have a blast!

This couldn't have happened at a more perfect time! You have lots of Hermes knowledge, you started a collection, and you are ready to see THE store. This will be an amazing experience.

JUst enjoy and bring back lots of great stories.