How much does it cost for hair nowadays?

SE US pay $190 for a deva curly cut and color with a level 3 stylist (deva’s highest level) before tip. She’s amazing. I had a great stylist in the PNW before I moved (also level 3) she was $210 for a cut and color before tip. My new stylist is even more amazing than the one I had before. I’m very lucky to have found her.

Reactions: sdkitty and limom
I am in south Jersey, just outside Philly. I had been paying $25 plus tip for wash, cut, blow out forever through one chain and then another. Now with the current chain and stylist for 9 years. Have an angled bob. Was getting partial head of highlights every 4-5 months. Including the wash, trim, blow out, $69!!! Plus tip. And as my temples grayed, she would give me low lights. It seemed like she was giving me a ton of foils and I would ask her should she be charging me more as I would gladly pay. She just pooh poohed me and said you’re a regular and it’s not an issue. She nailed my bob and color from day one. After a short time with her I realized I would pay double at a salon for what she did and began to tip her based on that. And the place was packed on Friday Saturday or Sunday.
During COVID-19 the chain was sold, I think twice! Wash, cut, blowout is now around $42 and with the color package I know it is highlights, additional color, baylage and lol God knows what it around $180. There are no longer 15 or 16 stylists on a Saturday, maybe just 4 or 5. The wash cut blow out is still less than a salon. I am guessing the color package is close to a salon now. I can live with the increase for color since I was getting it at a steal prior to 2020.

I am in south Jersey, just outside Philly. I had been paying $25 plus tip for wash, cut, blow out forever through one chain and then another. Now with the current chain and stylist for 9 years. Have an angled bob. Was getting partial head of highlights every 4-5 months. Including the wash, trim, blow out, $69!!! Plus tip. And as my temples grayed, she would give me low lights. It seemed like she was giving me a ton of foils and I would ask her should she be charging me more as I would gladly pay. She just pooh poohed me and said you’re a regular and it’s not an issue. She nailed my bob and color from day one. After a short time with her I realized I would pay double at a salon for what she did and began to tip her based on that. And the place was packed on Friday Saturday or Sunday.
During COVID-19 the chain was sold, I think twice! Wash, cut, blowout is now around $42 and with the color package I know it is highlights, additional color, baylage and lol God knows what it around $180. There are no longer 15 or 16 stylists on a Saturday, maybe just 4 or 5. The wash cut blow out is still less than a salon. I am guessing the color package is close to a salon now. I can live with the increase for color since I was getting it at a steal prior to 2020.
Hi from Cumberland Co! :wave:

Reactions: Lake Effect
Oh man this thread makes me happy my hair is super low maintenance with a simple cut and blow out every 2.5-3 months for $70 :lol:
I know, right? My hair is high maintenance, but I do it myself. Before COVID, I went with once or twice a year for deep conditioning, straightening, and a trim. Cost around $150. So even before, I spent a lot less on my hair than many women. I haven’t been since COVID, though. I used to have a hair styling YouTube channel, though, so I’m capable of doing my hair. By creative framing, compared to others, I save $500-$1000 per year by doing my own hair. This pays for more bags!

Reactions: forgetmenot301
We are on the same boat. It is all due to covid inflation, imho.
What do u think?

I can’t fathom how they make the prices.:lol:
It is just that 195 at a salon between a bagel shop and a diner seems steep.
just seems everything has gone up since covid and few thing went back down....I used to keep track of what my hairdresser charged and pay her in cash....then I got a bit annoyed when she raised my price with no warning. so I figured she doesn't appreciate being paid in cash (and tipping same as a CC person would). so now I pay with CC and don't pay as close attention to what's she's charging me. Just sign on the little machine and add my tip.

The salon I go to charges $50 for a haircut and shampoo. Tip is extra. I'm in the midwest. Since my hair is straight I usually clip it myself to save the bucks.

My elderly mom is in a memory care and they have an in-house salon. I usually pay $125-$225/month for her to have a weekly shampoo and style, plus a monthly clip and perm as needed. DH thinks I'm crazy for paying so much. Where does she go? he argues. But she seems to enjoy the salon visits and she still likes looking nice. Prior to her weekly salon visits she had what I dubbed "memory care hair." In nursing and assisted living homes they usually wash residents' hair by simply rubbing a wet wash cloth over the scalp. So one walks around with limp, bedraggled-looking hair. Most residents are too far gone to notice. But "memory care hair" seems like an indignity to my mom who was always so immaculately groomed.

Free! I bought the CreaClip during the phase where people couldn‘t get haircuts (there are multiple ways to use it before you judge any videos you watch - the upside down technique is NOT the way to go IMO 😅) and my husband bought a Wahl clipper set. We looked decent during that wild time as a result and we still look decent now 🙂 We actually prefer doing each other‘s hair now after these few years and I don‘t think we‘ll be going back to the salon anytime soon. He does a blunt bob on me with the CreaClip and I use a combo of the clippers for the back and sides plus the CreaClip on the top for him.

I think the only people that *may* be able to tell we cut each others‘ hair are professional stylists, and maybe not even then. Our neighbour who is a salon owner thinks we do a pretty good job.

Before that phase, it was about $80 CAD for a basic trim last I checked.

Last edited: