How much does it cost for hair nowadays?

limom

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
I am curious how much do you pay for your hair?
For me it comes up to $195 for roots, haircut and styling, before tips.
It is a neighborhood spot and I can’t believe they can charge that much on Long Island, New York.
No coffee, no champagne nada.
Is it me or services are much more expensive lately?
Can you share how much it cost you and where do you live?

yes, significantly more expensive, to the point where I would do a DIY ponytail chop for a few years
and home dye (until DH begged me to stop; apparently his OCD could not handle the uneven layers)

name brand salon 2023:
Haircut : starts at 300 (starts at 450 by owner)
highlights: starts at 300
single process: starts at 175
gloss: 75
blowdry: starts at 85 (package rate)

boutique salon, in 2008: haircut: 125
highlights and single process: 250 (as per my recollection)
gloss: maybe 40

in both cases, various services are staggered as needed (usually not all at a time)
not including regular tips or holiday or birthday tip.
prices are USD, NYC

ETA: I find that just like a regular omakase sushi place, if you go to the same place regularly for cut, color, and other services, the rates can be less than published, but the price reductions might fluctuate or be a bit opaque. For the significant number of clients that go to different salons for cut and color, I believe they tend to pay published rates. But this is just my anecdotal observation over the years.

ETA: for my best friends daughters high school graduation, I gifted her the works (including a mani pedi). total cost 1K USD Excluding tip. The salon did ask if she was over 18, perhaps bc of color, IDK. But, apparently she has a lot of hair and the salon had so much fun with her that they spent about six hours and made her feel like a princess. ( She was able to take advantage of this prior to prom so it was especially appreciated). they also gave her the color info they used, so she could have another stylist help her in her college town.

Last edited:
My highlights (well-known celebrity colorist, in a big salon) cost $400 (regular client price - she is usually $500) and my cut is $300 (also a celebrity stylist but they only make house calls - I have to work around them jetting off to people's tours and shoots haha but that's actually their "friend rate").

Honestly, though, it's always been outrageous. I feel like it's up by maybe 25% since the oughts. Cut and color back then would be $600 easily.

I only need color every few months and I have to wear my hair every day, so, I don't stress too much about it.

Reactions: limom
My highlights (well-known celebrity colorist, in a big salon) cost $400 (regular client price - she is usually $500) and my cut is $300 (also a celebrity stylist but they only make house calls - I have to work around them jetting off to people's tours and shoots haha but that's actually their "friend rate").

Honestly, though, it's always been outrageous. I feel like it's up by maybe 25% since the oughts. Cut and color back then would be $600 easily.

I only need color every few months and I have to wear my hair every day, so, I don't stress too much about it.
Unfortunately, I have high maintenance hair. Roots are every 4 weeks at minimum. And I also get chemical straightening every summer.
I agree with you that you need to have a good base to work with.
Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, I have high maintenance hair. Roots are every 4 weeks at minimum. And I also get chemical straightening every summer.
I agree with you that you need to have a good base to work with.
Thanks for your answer.
Oh no. chemical straightening and frequent roots really add up

Hmm, I just go to my local salon/boutique so the price probably different.
- Southern California/OC area, $ in USD

I just go in for a wash and a trim. I think it's $80-$100. Hard to say because my husband always pays for my haircuts (and his, at the same time.)
I don't color or do hair treatments. I tried it once (I think it was around $120) and I felt it didn't make that much of a difference. Though I do hair masks at home pretty often so maybe that's why.

It's a classic Chinese-owned establishment. So they are very chill but in some ways too chill. Probably to the point of being lazy. They are friendly and easy to talk to but their front desk kind of sucks at making appointments (as in, they'll forget to put on the calendar when an appointment is made) and sometimes our hairdresser/stylist goes overtime with his clients and we have to wait.
But my husband likes them and knows the owner. We just make sure to go in when we don't have any plans. And, I really can't complain since he always pays for me. :lol:

(Previously we went to a different hairdresser for years until his business got too popular, he would always overbook himself, and was so rushed to the point that he cut my hair uneven. And that was it for me, I said, we are not coming back. Husband agreed.)

yes, significantly more expensive, to the point where I would do a DIY ponytail chop for a few years
and home dye (until DH begged me to stop; apparently his OCD could not handle the uneven layers)

name brand salon 2023:
Haircut : starts at 300 (starts at 450 by owner)
highlights: starts at 300
single process: starts at 175
gloss: 75
blowdry: starts at 85 (package rate)

boutique salon, in 2008: haircut: 125
highlights and single process: 250 (as per my recollection)
gloss: maybe 40

in both cases, various services are staggered as needed (usually not all at a time)
not including regular tips or holiday or birthday tip.
prices are USD, NYC

ETA: I find that just like a regular omakase sushi place, if you go to the same place regularly for cut, color, and other services, the rates can be less than published, but the price reductions might fluctuate or be a bit opaque. For the significant number of clients that go to different salons for cut and color, I believe they tend to pay published rates. But this is just my anecdotal observation over the years.

ETA: for my best friends daughters high school graduation, I gifted her the works (including a mani pedi). total cost 1K USD Excluding tip. The salon did ask if she was over 18, perhaps bc of color, IDK. But, apparently she has a lot of hair and the salon had so much fun with her that they spent about six hours and made her feel like a princess. ( She was able to take advantage of this prior to prom so it was especially appreciated). they also gave her the color info they used, so she could have another stylist help her in her college town.
I haven't had a proper haircut for a long time...I just have DH trim the bottom
Last visit I paid $150 plus tip - so $180 - for just my roots....just a neighborhood salon in a middle class area

Reactions: 880 and limom
I haven't had a proper haircut for a long time...I just have DH trim the bottom
Last visit I paid $150 plus tip - so $180 - for just my roots....just a neighborhood salon in a middle class area
We are on the same boat. It is all due to covid inflation, imho.
What do u think?
Washington DC - Highlights around $300ish, cut an additional $100-150.. to be honest I don't pay close attention because the prices always seem to be fluctuating. Not including tip!
I can’t fathom how they make the prices.:lol:
It is just that 195 at a salon between a bagel shop and a diner seems steep.

I pay $76, not including tip, for a root touch-up and a glaze in a suburban Philadelphia salon located between an eyeglass place and a nail salon lol. I go every 4 weeks for this but I typically don't get a haircut and leave with it wet so no blow-out. On the rare occasion that he throws some highlights in it might double the price. The color service plus a cut and blow-dry is also about double the price.

Reactions: 880 and limom