How can I make my calves smaller?

I had my calf reduction surgery and RF yesterday with Dr. Liu. I am pretty sore and crampy but surprised that it's not excruciating. I took on my ace wrap bandages and I am so pleased with how much skinnier my calves are! Yay! Having skinnier calves has been a life long dream of mine. =)
Hi Lulu,
I am interested in getting calf reduction done. However, it seems to be so much more expensive with Dr. Liu and it doesn't seem like he has as much experienced compared to Dr. Park in Korea or Dr. Jong in Taiwan. Would you be able to post some before and after pictures and share your experience? Thank you!

Hi Lulu,
I am interested in getting calf reduction done. However, it seems to be so much more expensive with Dr. Liu and it doesn't seem like he has as much experienced compared to Dr. Park in Korea or Dr. Jong in Taiwan. Would you be able to post some before and after pictures and share your experience? Thank you!
Hi Lolly,

I went with Dr. Park many years ago and actually looking to do a revision with Dr. Liu. Dr. Park left me with lots of irregularities. It would be nice if more women posted their follow-up results so I would know if maybe I am a outlier compared to others who had good results. I also went to Dr. Jong after Dr. Park for a revision. Circling back around, I should've gone with Dr. Liu from the beginning. I hope that helps you with your decision.

Reactions: thelilachour
My cousin and I went to Seoul in 2016 for lipo for full body and calves at TL/The Line. Unfortunately my calves was mostly muscle so I could only do Botox. Doctor said my calves were all muscle (I don’t work out), so I could only get Botox. My cousin had calves lipo but she said it was painful.

I believe for the Botox injections to work you must maintain the Botox in that area. Personally I don’t think it’s worth it. And I am too scared to operate on my legs!

Hi Lolly,

I went with Dr. Park many years ago and actually looking to do a revision with Dr. Liu. Dr. Park left me with lots of irregularities. It would be nice if more women posted their follow-up results so I would know if maybe I am a outlier compared to others who had good results. I also went to Dr. Jong after Dr. Park for a revision. Circling back around, I should've gone with Dr. Liu from the beginning. I hope that helps you with your decision.

Hi b_nthie,

What were the irregularities and what were you unhappy about with Dr. Jong's revisions that you are getting a second revision? From what you've said, it seems that you haven't had your revision done with Dr. Liu yet, have you? Would it be possible if you can post some before/after pictures from the surgery you've had with Dr. Park and the revisions with Dr. Jong? That would be really helpful!! Thank you :smile:

Hi Lulu,
Hi Lulu,

I got my calf resection/RF done with DR Lui Jan 2022. I haven’t have a chance to review him yet. My calf measurements before surgery 14.75 inches and now 14.25. Not worth it at all for all the money and pain I went through. Airfare, hotel, food and surgery cost me $20,000. I have to admit my legs does look less muscular but it’s still big and if I walk a lot it gets swollen. With Dr lui he does 4 incisions. Two outer and two inner of your calf. When I woke up and went back to the hotel I noticed I only got two incisions in my inner calf. That’s why I didn’t see much of a change. Went back for the post up. Asked Dr lui and he vaguely told me that my outer doesn’t need it done since it looks ok. Wtf. Seriously. I m still mad until now just thinking about it. Anyways i will write a full details of my experience soon. And posted up before and after.

Reactions: Lolly024
I had RF with dr Liu several years ago. Recovery was horrible and no difference in my calf size.
His nurse was also awful and made me feel like crap about myself. She was fat and had the audacity to call me fat when I weigh 110 lbs.
overall not good experience and not worth the flight/Airbnb costs.
I’m flying to Korea this week to dr Park for a consultation.

I thought about getting cal reduction about 6,7 years ago but I am glad that I didn’t do it. My life style changed a lot as my son grew up and I started involving myself for hiking, playing soccer, surfing, skiing, or boating for swimming and fishing, I have to use my legs !!! More importantly, my legs have to be strong enough to protect my child during activities. So now I have no intention to reduce my calf. I don’t see many ppl wearing a very short skirt or short pants lately because baggy clothes are in style now. I think it is all about coordination of clothes. I want to keep my legs until I get really old without using walker or mobile chair.

Reactions: ccbutnotchanel
Hello everyone. Its been a while. Any news for calf reduction in SK with dr park? Is anyone planning to go or done already?

I had calf reduction with him on August 2021.

And I'm planning on getting a revision with him on my left calf, as it still is bigger than my right one. Overall, I'm happy with the results, though I wish I didn't have to go through the surgery a second time. Hopefully, since this time will only be one leg, the recovery will be somewhat easier, I hope.

So I arrived in Korea on the 1st of May, and that same day, at 2 PM, I underwent my one calf revision. There was another girl that had also gotten calves reduction surgery at 10 AM, that's why I got it in the afternoon. I had worn compression stockings on the plane, so my feet and calves didn't swell up so much.

Op day - I have the surgery done with sedation and local anaesthesia, as opposed to sedation and spinal anesthesia for my first surgery. Dr. Park tells me he took out more muscle than he expected, so I already know that the recovery will be not be as easy as other people who only had minor irregularities corrected. I wake up and I'm super cold, I don't know why because I thought that was a side effect of the spinal anesthesia. I get up to go to the bathroom and I think I fainted on the sofa. Back to bed. I try to get up again, and I'm able to go to the bathroom and painfully limp around. It turns out I'm bleeding from the scar, so they put bandages all over my scar and I get told not to stretch. My foot is swollen and that the absolute worst so far. I get discharged at 6 PM and get a taxi to my hotel. I can't sleep because of the jet lag, which sucks, but the pain is not too bad. 3/10. Worst part is having to sleep on my back, which makes my back hurt and I end up trying to sleep in weird positions which make my back hurt more.

Day 1 - I nearly faint when I go to get breakfast at the hotel. I'm super dizzy and my vision gets blurred. Dr. Park did tell me I had lost quite a lot of blood. It's hard to walk because I'm not stretching. I have my appointment at the clinic, they change my bandages, and ask me to stretch. I begin to bleed again, so they change my bandages again, and I again have a lot of padding under my knee which makes stretching hard. Walking is still hard and I'm jet lagged so I can't sleep. My foot is swollen and tingly and I hate that.

Day 2 - I get up from bed just as I did on Day 1, hopping on my good leg, the one that hasn't undergone revision, until I'm able to stretch and then walking becomes a little bit easier. I'm still limping. My foot is so swollen that I can barely fit in my sneakers which previously were at least half a size too big. Dr. Park says that it's in fact, not that swollen. They change my bandages and finally, I'm not bleeding from my incision anymore, so I'm finally allowed to shower. I spend all day laying in bed with my foot up, too afraid that if I walk my foot will swell up even more.

Day 3 - Today it's Thursday and the clinic is closed. Tomorrow is Children's Day and it's also closed Now that I don't have padding under my knee, stretching is much easier. I mainly walk around my hotel room, as I'm staying in a place that has very steep slopes. I sleep during the day, and in the evening I try to go eat dinner. There are no taxis available, so I just go to the nearest convenience store and I order Shuttle Delivery to my hotel. My foot is more swollen after walking to the convenience store.

The hardest part about walking is strange, because it's, in fact, not walking. I walk with my surgery leg just fine. The problem is when I move my good leg, that my surgery leg doesn't seem to provide enough stability to sustain my weight. So I take my longest steps with my surgery leg, and my shortest with my good leg, which is in fact, the opposite of what I expected.

Stretching is a lot easier than I remembered it was the previous time. I also think I'm less bruised, perhaps because I was bleeding throughout the incision for two days.

I'm very thankful to Dr. Park for doing this revision free of charge. In my experience, most doctors gaslight you if there's any trouble after surgery, don't want to take accountability and pretend everything is fine so they don't have to do surgery again. Dr. Park immediately told me there was an asymmetry and would perform a free of charge revision if I ever came back to Korea.

I wanted to undergo fat grafting to my face, but since the recovery has been harder than I expected, I decided not to. I'm leaving Korea on Sunday, so on Saturday I'll be having my next and final check up at the clinic. The only thing that worries me is if I'll be able to do the aspirations at home, because last time I had a LOT of fluid in my legs. Hopefully my family doctor or nurses will agree to do the aspirations. Well, the 20 hour flight also worries me, because I don't know if I'll be able to stretch, and with my legs not up, my foot will swell up a lot. I plan to wear compression stockings instead of bandages on the flight to minimize my foot swelling up.

I'll be leaving on day 6 post op, which the earliest I have seen anybody leave Korea after this surgery, but it's the second time I'm going through this plus I only had revision on one leg so hopefully I'll be fine. Certainly I feel like recovery is being easier this time, but I don't know if it's because only of my legs underwent surgery or because my body is already used to the trauma and I already know what to expect or because I had less muscle taken out (even though Dr. Park told me he took out a lot).

I don't know why there's no movement anymore on this thread. I had the surgery on August 2021 but I underwent too many surgeries too close together in time so I couldn't be bothered to write my experience.

I don't think scar placements is super important long term, but after 1 year and 9 months, my scars had just faded in my left leg and almost faded in my right one. So until then, depending on how long it takes for your scars to stop being red or purple and become white, it could be pretty rough.

As far as I know, there are four doctors that perform the surgery worldwide, and Dr. Park is the one with the most experience and which leaves less scars. Dr. Liu's prices seem totally outrageous to me, but it's LA. Still, I had a surgeon in my country who performed the surgery and I still decided to come to Korea, because that surgeon lacked experience enough and also the placement of the scars is not very good.

Day 4 - I rested all day and then I went to have dinner with a friend. Being seated was difficult, as I could notice my foot getting swollen and I had to cut the night shorter than I wanted to.

Day 5 - I went to the clinic and Dr. Park tried to aspirate, but no fluid came out. He gave me teo syringes for aspiration at home. My good leg began failing me on this day, I think because I was putting all the weight there, so I had to stop stretching for the day, as my right knee trembled every time I tried.

Day 6 - going home. I asked for wheelchair support and thank God I did. Anyway, the 20 hours flights were hell. My foot got super swollen, and even though they gave me a good seat with a lot of space, I couldn't keep my legs elevated. I tried to stretch during the flight.

Day 7 - I spent all day in bed. I was ultra tired from the flight and my leg and foot were very swollen.

I think there is a calf reduction surgery you could do for permanent results. There is also calf botox, but you have to continuously do them in order to maintain results. You could try to lose weight but that doesn't work if your big calves are due to genetics. Even when I was super skinny, my calves were still big.