How Awful : Brandy Killed Someone By Accident** UPDATE**

Brandy Could Be Charged With Manslaughter
January 29, 2007

(CBS/AP) The California Highway Patrol recommended Monday that actress-singer Brandy be charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter in a freeway crash that killed a woman motorist last month, a city attorney's spokesman said.

The CHP referred the matter to the city attorney's office for review, said spokesman Nick Velasquez.

"The office is currently reviewing the case and determining whether the evidence warrants the filing of a misdemeanor charge of vehicular manslaughter," Velasquez said.

A message seeking comment from Brandy's publicist, Courtney Barnes, was not immediately returned.

TMZ reported last week that a car crash involving the R&B singer occurred at 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 30, 2006, on the 405 Freeway in Los Angeles. The report said that Brandy Norwood was driving her Land Rover at 65 mph and didn't realize that the cars in front of her were moving at a much slower rate.

TMZ reported that the singer's vehicle hit a 2005 Toyota, which then hit a 1989 Toyota. The 2005 Toyota slid sideways into the center divider and was hit by a 1988 Acura. The driver of the 2005 Toyota, Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, a Los Angeles mother of one, was taken to Holy Cross Hospital and died the next day.

Aboudihaj died at a hospital from blunt-force injuries, according to the coroner's office.

Brandy, whose real name is Brandy Norwood, was not injured or arrested, and there was no evidence of drug or alcohol use, the Web site reported.

In a statement sent to The ShowBuzz on Jan. 24, Brandy's representative, Courtney Barnes, said: "Brandy was involved in a car accident Dec. 30, 2006, in Los Angeles where there was a fatality. She wishes to publicly express her condolences to the family of the deceased. Brandy asks that you respect the privacy of everyone involved at this time."

When asked why the public hadn't heard about the accident until nearly a month after it happened, a rep for Brandy said that her agency didn't know about it until today and called the accident "quite devastating."

Brandy, who earned a Grammy in 1999, has made five albums. She began her recording career at 14 and acted for film and television, starring on the sitcom "Moesha" from 1996-2001 and most recently as a judge for NBC's "America's Got Talent."

I can't believe how harsh some of these comments against Brandy are. She should definitley be held responsible, but she didn't purposely drive her car into these poor folks. She, as well as the family of the deceased, will have to live with this for the rest of their lives.

If the California Highway Patrol gets its way, Brandy could be facing charges over a fatal crash – with the possibility of jail time.

The CHP concluded its investigation into the Dec. 30 collision involving the R&B singer – and recommended to the Los Angeles City Attorney's office Monday morning that she be charged with a misdemeanor count of vehicular manslaughter without gross negligence, according to patrol spokesman Leland Tang.

If convicted, the 28-year-old former Moesha star, whose full name is Brandy Norwood, could face up to one year in county jail.

"We know that Brandy's at fault for the chain reaction of the collision," Tang tells PEOPLE.

Tang adds that investigators found there were no indicators that Brandy was distracted at the moment she rear-ended the 2005 Toyota being driven by Awatef Aboudihaj, who died the evening after the crash at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center.

The L.A. City Attorney's office will review the case and decide whether to file the charge against her.

Brandy's rep had no comment.

I can't believe how harsh some of these comments against Brandy are. She should definitley be held responsible, but she didn't purposely drive her car into these poor folks. She, as well as the family of the deceased, will have to live with this for the rest of their lives.

I agree. It was an accident. A horrible awful accident. She wasn't drinking or on drugs or even on her cell phone. It's something every single one of us could have happen to us. A million little things could have happened-a sneeze, checking her blind spot, etc. All things that we do.

Going to jail won't bring the woman back, and I would support her family's decision to sue Brandy to make up any income or pain & suffering she's cause the family, but jail? What purpose does that serve?

I think the interesting question is, if the victim were Brandy, and the guilty party a food service worker, might there be those who would feel that jail time was appropriate?

It is almost certain that in such a case, the individual would be very likely to be subjected to jail time, though I would be extremely surprised if anyone in the prosecutor's office would suggest such a thing for Brandy. I will stand by my prediction of a community service sentence.

Honestly, this analogy is getting a bit old. I think that when it really is an accident, despite how careless the person may have been, NO one would want to see someone serve jail time. Food service worker or not. I think this whole thing is sad. And I can understand her asking people to respect the privacy of those involved. Privacy is of the utmost importance when a family is grieving. I don't think she necessarily was just asking for privacy for herself. I think she meant it as well, if not more so for the other parties involved.

It is unfortuante, but she should have been responsible enough to pay attention to what was going on in front of her while driving down the expressway. THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!

I don't know about respecting her privacy in all of this, just b/c someone is FAMOUS doesn't call for shall I say, "special treatment".

I'm sorry, it is very unforuante don't get me wrong, but I could NEVER deal with knowing I was responsible for ENDING SOMEONE ELSES LIFE DUE TO MY NEGLIGENCE!!!!

Wow, I'm shocked it is just coming out now!!!

ITA!

Roo I wouldn't be surprised if she was talking on the phone or multitasking while driving!?!?
:rolleyes:

Just knowing that she ended someone's life (albiet accidentally) would be punishment enough for her.

But she did end someone's life and she should be punished in some way for that. (The judge will, of course, take into consideration that it was an accident.)

How awful. :sad:

I can't help but think of that poor woman suffering 3 major impacts, one after the other. :sad:

I was going to buy a Mercedes M Class a couple of years ago, until I heard about the appalling lack of safety (for both the driver [rolling] and other road users) of 4 x 4s.

Combine that with the damage to the environment and I was completely turned off them.

Also, when you are high above other vehicles, sometimes you are less aware of what is going on around you.

If Brandy had been driving a regular car, maybe Awatef Aboudihaj would be alive today.

Despite that, I think that people (rich and famous, or not) who genuinely have an accident that is not their fault should not be jailed.

Apparently, Brandy was not using her mobile at the time of the accident. Anyway, I came across this article today in the british news paper, The Daily Mail. .

Drivers who kill while on the phone may escape prison

By STEVE DOUGHTY -26th January 2007

mobilephoneRex_228x311.jpg

Drivers who kill while on the phone could be spared jail

Killer drivers who run down their victims while talking on a mobile phone should escape jail, the government's sentencing advisers declared yesterday.

They said any driver who takes a life because of carelessness or selfishness should get no more than a 'community' punishment.

Those who kill while driving without a licence, disqualified or uninsured will also be spared prison under the proposed sentencing regime.

The rules, put forward by the Home Office-run Sentencing Advisory Panel, would operate under laws on killer drivers coming into force later this year.
They bring in the offence of causing death by careless driving. This is meant to ensure those whose driving falls short of dangerous driving will still have their crimes treated more seriously in court.

The offence, which covers using a mobile, speeding, eating, drinking or applying make-up at the wheel, carries a maximum sentence of five years.

Yesterday motoring organisations and victims' groups accused the panel of undermining Parliament's intentions.
Road safety charity Brake called the proposals 'horrifying' and added: 'This will restore the current situation in which bereaved families get no justice and drivers who have killed get no punishment.'

The RAC Foundation said: 'This sentencing pattern may leave families still feeling that the courts have not recognised their loss.'

The Sentencing Advisory Panel - which reports to the Sentencing Guidelines Council led by Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips - published its plans in a consultation paper yesterday.
If endorsed by the council, courts are likely to start using the guidelines by the end of the year.

The panel said it recognised that Parliament had intended to increase sentences in last year's Road Safety Act.
But it insisted that the courts must also recognise that careless drivers carry a low degree of guilt.

As a result, it said that in a typical case a driver guilty of the new offence should get a community sentence.
If there is an aggravating factor - for example a driver using a mobile while overtaking carelessly - the punishment may still not go over the 'custody threshold', the panel said.

Its advice said: 'The sentences we are proposing may be criticised by the deceased's family and others.

'The sentence will inevitably seem low if compared only with the magnitude of harm done by the offender.'

It added: 'A sentencer may need to take account of the fact that an offender is guilty of no more than a momentary lack of attention, albeit with devastating consequences.'
The proposals will infuriate ministers pressing for tougher punishments. This week Transport Minister Douglas Alexander introduced penalty points and £60 fines for those caught using a mobile while driving.

They're only doing this because we have a major prison overcrowding problem over here! :rolleyes:

Using a mobile, speeding, eating, drinking and applying make-up at the wheel are all illegal acts and if someone kills someone whilst doing so, they should be jailed, IMO.

That is not the same as killing someone due to an innocent lack of judgment, or momentary lapse in concentration.

Morally speaking, I believe people should receive sentences that reflect their intentions; not just the outcome of their actions.

For example, someone should receive a far higher sentence for plotting to kill someone (even if they don't get the chance to actually do it), than they do for accidentally killing someone.

I heard today on the news she was one her cell phone. Guess records could prove whether she was or not.
AS a driver you are legally responsible to have your car under control at all times, no momentary lack of concentration, no lack of judgement.
It is a horrible thing that happened. But she gets no special treatment cause she can sing well. Thank God our laws are set up this way. I don't think she should get jail time. She is a more productive member of society by being out. But she should get fined & am sure there will be a civil suit against her.