Hermes Steve Bag

^^Sorry, Ernskie, I didn't get quite that far with it...it was dark brown clemence and at Madison, you might call there and ask?

Not sure about Wall St.'s inventory but they do have a special Wall St. version of a mens briefcase...if you are into that sort of thing.

Thanks Pepper and castorny for the info. Oh dear... I don't think they even sell bags over the phone and I'm not going to be in NY until August 17th. They would have increased the price by that time... What to do?

It sucks not having an H store where I live although I just found out that they're going to put one up in Calgary which is about 3 hours away.

I finally got my answer...

"Thank you so much for your patience during my inquiry on your special order. Our special orders department has informed me of the following:

We can produce the VALISE ETRIVIERE in Ebene clemence with the contrasting lining of your choice ( orange or vert anis).

The STEVE bag 38 is the larger of the two sizes available in this style. To alleviate some of the weight of the larger bag, this size was designed with our signature chevron fabric lining and cannot be adapted with a leather lining like the smaller size. The STE VE bag 38 is available in Ebene which would match the special order piece-just without the contrasting lining.

Pricing for the special order cannot fully be confirmed at this point. However, the cost will be very close to the current retail value. Please let me know if and how you would like to proceed.

Warm Regards,

Joe"

Does anyone know whether the Steve 38 = the holdall and the Steve 35 = the messenger? Also, are any of you familiar with the Valise Etriviere/Besace line (my logon image)? What sizes are available? I understand the Valise is about 45 x 35 x 10. I have seen some smaller size but are there intermediate and/or larger sizes in this style?

Greets!

I am not quite sure of the terminology and where it comes from, but I believe the Steve 38 is the original "messenger" and the 35 must be the newer, smaller version I describe above. I think your safest bet is to identify them by their size as I am not sure the names are used enough that everyone knows what they mean. Am not sure what "holdall" is. I am not aware that the Steve travel bag comes in more than one size.

i *think* 38 and 35 are the width measurements in cm. I *believe* the 38, *might* be the taupe bag below (what i describe as the "holdall"); the 35, the messenger (the black one). fact is, i am not sure...

i wonder if there are more than *one* messenger or not.

the confusion is because i saw the two bags in berlin (at different locations). the one i call the messenger was described to me as the Steve 38 *but* was certainly lined in leather. the "holdall" was lined in fabric. i was told because it would be too heavy otherwise.

in the e-mail i got from charlotte, it seems that either there are more than one messenger *or* the Steve 38 is in fact the "holdall."

M

seems as if the "holdall" is actually 45cm and that there are *2* messengers... how will i ever choose?!

Attachments

• 0227080736_1.jpg
    0227080736_1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 629
  • Steve 10001.JPG
    Steve 10001.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 868
Last edited:
^^Yes--The 45 is the travel bag (the photo on the left; what you are calling the holdall) and the messenger, on the right, is the one that comes in 38 cm and the newer 35 cm. FWIW, my DH likes the 38 (that is his actual bag in the photo above), it is a good size and carries plenty. He is 6' but still needed another hole put into the shoulder strap.

^^Yes--The 45 is the travel bag (the photo on the left; what you are calling the holdall) and the messenger, on the right, is the one that comes in 38 cm and the newer 35 cm. FWIW, my DH likes the 38 (that is his actual bag in the photo above), it is a good size and carries plenty. He is 6' but still needed another hole put into the shoulder strap.

Does the 38 have a chevre lining or chevron cotton?

I think Joe is confused. Both Steve messengers are lined with chevre. I've seen them both. But, the Steve Travel bag (45cm) is definitely lined in the cotton chevron.

Thanks Pepper!

Can this bag hold a laptop?

The 35 cm version can hold 13" laptops and the 38 cm version can hold up to 15" laptops. Of course if you have MacBook Air then it's even better. The bag itself is a little heavy since it's all leather, even the interior pockets so the smaller/lighter the laptop, the better.