Hermes Repair/Refurbish policy - Official Spa Thread

An alternative would be to speak with docride in the leather care forums and see what she would advise to do since H won’t take either of them for refurbishment. You can also google and contact someone like leather doctors who are highly regarded in other threads as well.
Were I in the same situation, I’d start with Docride, and go from there!

This is absolutely the best advice - even if you do not need it now, keep it in mind for the future.
Do read DocRide's threads anyway.

some update from Hermes HK, the SA refused to service the vintage birkin bag that we want to send in. She said the leather is so dry and repairable! They will not touch this bag as the leather is going to crack soon. She told us the only way is to use the bag more often. Then I asked her about sending in my Kelly for conditioning as the togo feels a bit dry. She said the craftsman don't perform just leather conditioning. You must have something for them to repair in order to send in the bag to spa. Or something requires deep cleaning ie milk poured onto the bag etc. This is weird.
That's strange
I have sent off my bag for just conditioning. Maybe this policy is only for HK :confused1:

image.jpg Wow. Just called the New York Hermes boutique to inquire about sending my PM Toile Massai in for a minor repair. I was politely informed that “for security reasons” they will no longer accepted shipped bags. You (or your representative) must physically take the bag in and pick it up. I haven’t had a bag repaired there for many years, but in the past I just shipped it to them and they shipped it back when it was ready. Very disappointing. Things certainly have changed since the days of M. Claude.

I have a funny M. Claude story. I purchased my first Hermes bag in Paris, just before the use of Elephant skin was banned by the US Fish and Wildlife Service; (the ban was a good thing). I was able to bring the bag back to the US (I was living in NYC) with no problem at that time. However, years later when the handle mounts and D rings were in need of replacement, M. Claude charmingly, but adamantly refused to fix the bag. “It is illegal for us to touch the bag!” He said. I was crestfallen, but determined! I wrote an impassioned letter to the then President of Hermes USA (I can’t remember his name) begging him to allow M. Claude to fix my beloved peau d’elephant Kelly. Voila! It worked! The president responded with his letter of approval, and off I went to see M. Claude at boutique. As I recall it was still on 57th street then. M. Claude did a magnificent job. And, he never forgot that bag. When I called him 15 or so years later to ask to send it to him for a new handle, he laughed and said , “Ohhhhhh laaaaa. THAT bag! Oh, well, for you, I will fix it again.” And he did. He used buffalo to make the new handle and it blended perfectly. I still have that bag and it is as beautiful as ever. I always think of the unforgettable M. Claude when I carry it.

My guess is that if you do show up in person with the bag, they’ll give you the once over and there’s a good chance they’ll refuse to repair it, with or without a receipt. I think that the drastic changes in Hermes’ return and repair policies have to do with the tremendous secondary market that has developed for their leather goods, as well as the proliferation of highly accurate FAKES (Grrrrrrr.) You can’t really blame them for not wanting to deal with bags that were not purchased directly from them and may or may not be authentic, The problem is, who could see this coming and hold on to receipts for bags they purchased from Hermes years ago? When you do buy a bag from them, hold on to those receipts!

Reactions: Nerja
some update from Hermes HK, the SA refused to service the vintage birkin bag that we want to send in. She said the leather is so dry and repairable! They will not touch this bag as the leather is going to crack soon. She told us the only way is to use the bag more often. Then I asked her about sending in my Kelly for conditioning as the togo feels a bit dry. She said the craftsman don't perform just leather conditioning. You must have something for them to repair in order to send in the bag to spa. Or something requires deep cleaning ie milk poured onto the bag etc. This is weird.

Yes, the store in HK is like that... last time i bring my bag in they said they don’t do spa service , only repair. Luckily my bag actually had a few spots needed to be fixed and they took my bag. Even they said they will clean your bag, after my repair which included the pricy general cleaning. it turned out some stitches were fixed, but cleaning ? Not at all!

Has anyone had the enamel fixed on a Clic Clac? I noticed this morning I must’ve cracked off the enamel of an edge. See pic for the white line that is the crack. I searched this thread but didn’t find anything about enamel repair just clasp repair. IMG_1511970703.128985.jpg

How long does it normally take for a quote for fixing a bag. I brought my Kelly bag into the Luxembourg store on Nov 8th for repair and still haven’t heard anything. I know it will need to go to Paris. I’m just concerned as they wrote my phone number down wrong and I had to go back to the store for them to change it.

How long does it normally take for a quote for fixing a bag. I brought my Kelly bag into the Luxembourg store on Nov 8th for repair and still haven’t heard anything. I know it will need to go to Paris. I’m just concerned as they wrote my phone number down wrong and I had to go back to the store for them to change it.

Not to dismay you or anything, I dropped mine off in my nearest store here in the US around the 20th of May. She went to Paris for her repair and spa, and it’s now Dec 3 and still no word. Take that how you will....

Edit: I received my quote and recommended repairs sometime in August.