Hermes Repair/Refurbish policy - Official Spa Thread

It had a very very faint slightly perfumed smell internally although that has pretty much disappeared since I have been using it. I wonder if someone wiped the interior with a face or baby wipe even. It's certainly not something that bothers me enough to return it or hand it over for months! Just wondered what others thought. My DH thinks I worry too much so I really appreciate some reassurance, thank you :smile:

It looks to me like something has taken the color out of the leather and the pinky-purple color you are seeing is the undertone of slightly faded black dye. If it smells like perfume, I would guess that perfume spilled inside the bag and the oil and alcohol in the perfume faded the dye; or someone used some kind of solvent to remove the spilled perfume and that had the effect of changing the black dye. That wouldn't bother me at all if the bag is otherwise in good shape.

H probably won't be able to do anything about it but it wouldn't hurt to ask a craftsman, if you are able to take it to a store that has one available. If you love the bag, the smell doesn't bother you, you got a great price, and are determined to keep it, then just don't give it any more thought.

Basically, it's economics. Pre-loved bags that have more issues will be priced lower than pre-loved bags that have less issues. Sometimes the issues themselves will be more or less important, or more or less correctable. Smell would be the deal-breaker for me, not the faded dye. But for you (or someone else) that might not matter at all. Just weigh what you paid with the condition of the bag. If you feel that the price you paid is too high for the product you received, then the best thing is to return it because you'll probably always feel slightly taken advantage of. If the price you paid was fair for the current condition of the bag, and you can live with its particular characteristics, then just have fun with your bag and enjoy your good fortune! :smile:

Last edited:
It looks to me like something has taken the color out of the leather and the pinky-purple color you are seeing is the undertone of slightly faded black dye. If it smells like perfume, I would guess that perfume spilled inside the bag and the oil and alcohol in the perfume faded the dye; or someone used some kind of solvent to remove the spilled perfume and that had the effect of changing the black dye. That wouldn't bother me at all if the bag is otherwise in good shape.

H probably won't be able to do anything about it but it wouldn't hurt to ask a craftsman, if you are able to take it to a store that has one available. If you love the bag, the smell doesn't bother you, you got a great price, and are determined to keep it, then just don't give it any more thought.

Basically, it's economics. Pre-loved bags that have more issues will be priced lower than pre-loved bags that have less issues. Sometimes the issues themselves will be more or less important, or more or less correctable. Smell would be the deal-breaker for me, not the faded dye. But for you (or someone else) that might not matter at all. Just weigh what you paid with the condition of the bag. If you feel that the price you paid is too high for the product you received, then the best thing is to return it because you'll probably always feel slightly taken advantage of. If the price you paid was fair for the current condition of the bag, and you can live with its particular characteristics, then just have fun with your bag and enjoy your good fortune! :smile:
Thank you :smile: I'm definitely keeping it! The smell has gone completely now anyway (it was only very faint if you stuck your head inside the bag to begin with). I will ask in H next time I'm there probably, just out of curiosity. But I was relieved to see another one with the same pink sheen!

Reactions: prepster
Does the craftsman ever re dye leather?

I have a matte alligator wallet I've had for about a year. I've conditioned it with Saphir Reptan, but every time it rips a little of the color dye off. Can they re dye the color to its original?

Does the craftsman ever re dye leather?

I have a matte alligator wallet I've had for about a year. I've conditioned it with Saphir Reptan, but every time it rips a little of the color dye off. Can they re dye the color to its original?

Yes, I believe that they can. I was told a story by the gentleman who handles repairs/refurbishment at my local H store of a SO croc that had been beaten to heck at a football game (used as a slingshot, beer, nachos, stomped on...you get the picture) and was sent for repair and came back looking like it had never been anywhere near a disaster.

View attachment 3808899 Hi everyone, hoping for some reassurance I guess, apologies if this is the wrong place!
I purchased a black Togo b35 a couple of weeks ago, 2010 in fantastic condition at a great (way below retail) price from a shop I have used several times and trust implicitly.
I have just one concern regarding the bag and I'm not sure whether to take it into H or not at the moment.
When you open the bag indoors or even outside it looks more or less perfect inside. However if you fold the inside further outwards in bright light it shows a slightly pink iridescent sheen on the lining.
It's not something that bothers me in use as I wouldn't normally see it, but I'm a little concerned as to why it's there. It's almost like someone cleaned the inside with something they shouldn't have.
I was concerned that it may have been recoloured, but the shop I bought it from has assured me they got it from a regular and trusted client that has owned it from new and not done anything to it. They have also told me that if H refused to service the bag at any point in the future they would refund my money.
I could take it to H now but I really want this bag for winter use and I know that Hermes won't touch the lining anyway so it would be several hours travel, lots of hassle and expense and months without a bag that looks pretty much perfect externally (although very slouchy which is exactly what I wanted). I know I could also return it for a full refund at the moment but there is nothing I have seen at this price that doesn't have far more issues than this one and I love it so really really don't want to do that!
It's really hard to photograph what I mean as it doesn't even show up under flash but this picture is in bright sunlight.
Does anyone have a black lining that looks like this? Should I worry and take it straight in, or wait and do it in the spring?
The iridescence film clung to leather is a a surface mounted stain, probably from lotion, oil or perfume like you said. It hasn't absorbed into the leather so why it's visible, I've always had a lot of success using Reno'mat by Saphir via Amazon to remove dirt/stains etc. use a cotton swab in a small area to test it out first but it should work.

The iridescence film clung to leather is a a surface mounted stain, probably from lotion, oil or perfume like you said. It hasn't absorbed into the leather so why it's visible, I've always had a lot of success using Reno'mat by Saphir via Amazon to remove dirt/stains etc. use a cotton swab in a small area to test it out first but it should work.
Thank you. As I'm not sure it's something on the surface as opposed to being colour loss or some kind of reaction of the black dye I'm going to leave it alone. I'd be scared to do anything that could cause more problems! If I get a chance to ask in H at some point I'll see what they think, but as its not visible in normal use and especially now I've seen another with the exact same thing I'm just going to enjoy the bag and forget about it. I'd never have noticed if I wasn't examining it so minutely! I do appreciate your help though :smile:

Hi lovelies! Do you know if anything can be done about the corners of a garden party? The outer "layer" of leather has completely worn through and the interior leather base is peaking out.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 910
Hi lovelies! Do you know if anything can be done about the corners of a garden party? The outer "layer" of leather has completely worn through and the interior leather base is peaking out.
I have this bag too and am glad to know the base is double lined! I have seen edge/corner holes like this in other bags that H will patch...they do a good job :flowers:

Hello all,

I just bought my lindy last month from reseller. I checked everything ok but i didnt pay enough attention of the H zipperstop and yesterday i realized my H zipperstop a little bit dented so i kinda push a little bit and then it broke!! does anyone ever have the same problem with me? Any idea how long to get this fix?

Thank you

Attachments

• B563EA89-4BEA-4E3D-AF43-5F1B5244C677.jpeg
    B563EA89-4BEA-4E3D-AF43-5F1B5244C677.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
I have a vintage 35 kelly that I have decided I don't need and will sell. But the handle is dry and has just recently come apart from the bag. I have some questions and wonder if anyone can help...

How much is it currently to replace the handle?

Is it better to replace the handle than to sell, or should I sell and let the buyer sort out the handle? I would rather just sell the bag as is, but if I am going to recoup the value of the new handle and quite a bit more in the purchase price, perhaps I should consider replacing the handle first.

Lastly, (and this is not related to the handle) I had the hardware on this vintage bag replaced w silver hardware some time ago. Does it hurt the resale value of the bag to have it be silver? I have the old brass hardware, and also could have it changed to gold if I have the handle replaced before I sell it.