Help me sticky outside/inside pocket on LV Purse...

It's strange that there is not more info on the net about this. I was beginning to think I was the only person who had the problem but the bag had been stored for many years until a friend gave it to me.

The Goo Gone really did it. A bit messy with the black junk so use rubber gloves. I used the kind in the spray bottle. I was amazed that it worked. SashaNicole had a good idea.
My thanks to her.

Good luck.

I am the second owner on my amazone - it is dated 1991. The small inner pocket has the black and it is mostly dried out. Thanks for the tip on which goo gone to get and to wear gloves. I know this will be a messy job, but at least I will be able to use the pocket. May I ask what is underneath all the black stuff? Is it leather?

In my St Cloud bag yes it is leather and looks really good now. Be prepared though because it is a messy job. My bag is old too and was stored for many years. After I got it all cleaned up I put a light coat of Vaseline all over, inside and out...just on coated canvas, not leather. Wiped it down real well and shined it up. Looks really good.
I have done that on a Noe bag and a Speedy and it gives them new life.

I purchased the goo gone and tried it on the bag. I dont think it is working:sad:. The black stuff is still really thick on the pocket, but it is making my washcloth really black. I already used half of the bottle up. Not sure if there is anything else I should try? I contacted LV and they said it would be $100-200 to get the pocket replaced :sick:

Sorry if it is not working for you. OMG I wonder why ? Worked really well for me. OFC I had to keep working at it and getting it off like layer by layer until it was all gone. It was a hard job but in the end it looks good and no more black. Saved myself some money too. Looks like new.

A friend of mine used nail polish remover and she said that worked but I am not sure that I would try it.

If you spray it on and let it sit there for a bit it seems to help too. A big messy job that you think will never finish but mine really did all come out and it was a real mess in that pocket.

Sorry if it did not work.

Perhaps a local leather repair shop could replace the pocket at a better price. I know it can take a very long time if you send it to a LV for replacement.

I just wanted to let you know that "sticky pockets" are a common problem with LV bags with the Vuittonite lining, like the Petite Buckets. If you google it, you'll see a huge problem in Japan especially where it's very humid. The lining and pockets often need to be replaced with certain bags!
I live in South Fl and it's also a common problem here. I never heard of black stuff though-- that's probably mold or mildew!
I would call LV and refer to the problem with the bags in Japan--- I know for a fact LV catered to them and fixed/replaced bags because Japan has a huge LV customer base!

WOW that's crazy. I have a St. Cloud and I have that icky, sticky black stuff in my mine too.

Yes it is a real mess to clean but it can be done. I know it happens. If you ever go to eBay you will see other bags listed with not only peeling but the black goo. Many in St Cloud bags. Never have I found it in any other LV bags that I have had.

HI I recently purchased this bag at a flea market, problem is the purse inside has a yucky sticky pocket, and and a sticky outside pocket as well. I have looked on here and found no answer really other than taking it to LV for relining. I seriously cannot afford that, so I want to reline it at least on the outside pocket with a brown....maybe floral lining?....But I am not sure what do do about the inside pocket, can it be cut off the lining or what would you suggest I do??...I am lost as to how to repair it other than that there is nothing seriously wrong with it....Oh and my mom tried paint thinner on the outside pocket, and it stinks of that too......a bit....Please help.......any advice would be greatly appreciated.....:shrugs:

I have the same problem on my preloved Trocadero! It seems the older ones seem to have a lot of this problem...I just avoid using those pockets. The interior is fine, it's just the outside pocket and the inner pocket....

but if you do go and ask LV, please do post their response here!

Well I tried some stuff called Goof Off...on the outside pocket, and also on the inside pocket...and I relined the inside with fabric. It has been a tedious job, :sweatdrop:since I have been using the G.O. spray......and wiping..and all I got was a whole bunch of brown...paint, gooey yuckiness....:yucky:...but after a long cleaning...I stuck the fabric on....in hopes that it looks better than it did...:wondering..I will post pictures later....right now I am waiting for it to dry from the glue....Thanks for the suggestions....:tender:

Ok...reveal..this is what the purse now looks like after cleaning the pocket...putting the fabric....etc.........I found the fabric @ Hobby Lobby....and thought it was cute because of the vintage keys....and I even made a base with the fabric for my speedy.....I did also reline the inside pocket with the fabric but did not take photos because I could not open the zipper because of the fabric..so but that will not be used so it does not matter.....Thanks for all the suggestions! :okay:

Last edited: