Help me sticky outside/inside pocket on LV Purse...

I peeled the vuittonite off first before I started scrubbing; it's easier to expose the fabric that way. It's also easier to scrub it when dry, just use a regular pants/ clothes brush. I think you can skip the washing part too but the water can help loosen the remaining vuittonite stuck to the fabric. Good luck!

I peeled the vuittonite off first before I started scrubbing; it's easier to expose the fabric that way. It's also easier to scrub it when dry, just use a regular pants/ clothes brush. I think you can skip the washing part too but the water can help loosen the remaining vuittonite stuck to the fabric. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm trying it now and this is going to be a big job! I'm almost tempted to just buy another!

I recently bought a PM bucket from Japan, with the lining in sticky, unusable condition. I ended up reversing the lining out of the bag (still attached at the lip), misting it with water...waiting about 15 minutes, drying it off, and then taking packing tape to the plasticky layer, and peeling it off with the packing tape....just like if you were going to wax your legs. Wetting the plasticky layer helps it release from the fabric part more easily. You just have to be careful about water damage to the leather doing this. But with the tape, you can really get into the tight corners, and get every last bit of the sticky lining removed. Let me know if you want picts.

I did it - I scrubbed ALL the peeling lining out and am down to the lining. Many of you may think I've destroyed the bag; but, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I have to admit that the bag took a beating pretty well! I was able to turn it completely inside out and did one section at a time. I ended up using a super strength Goof Off aerosol and stiff brush. I figured I can't use it the way it is - so I might as well try! Well - it worked and although it won't look like an official Sac Plat, I know it's authentic and can use it where I couldn't before!

If I can figure out how - I'll post before and after pics!

Sorry to bump this up but it really helped me and maybe it will help someone else. I too, am having this problem. I have a briefcase that I bought about 18 years ago. Never used. Found this black stuff in the zipper pocket on the inside. I started a thread for help and K.H.LVoe directed me to this thread. :ty: I will try the Goo Gone. Why didn't LV take some responsiblility for this and send out a letter to buyers or at least post a "how to remove" - on their website!? I was trying to decide which LV bag I wanted to purchase but this has really turned me off. :sad:

Sorry to bump this up but it really helped me and maybe it will help someone else. I too, am having this problem. I have a briefcase that I bought about 18 years ago. Never used. Found this black stuff in the zipper pocket on the inside. I started a thread for help and K.H.LVoe directed me to this thread. :ty: I will try the Goo Gone. Why didn't LV take some responsiblility for this and send out a letter to buyers or at least post a "how to remove" - on their website!? I was trying to decide which LV bag I wanted to purchase but this has really turned me off. :sad:
I'm glad my experience may help you bring your LV back to life! This sticky problem with lining was corrected by LV after 1979. It happens when the bags are exposed to humidity and left sitting in storage. My Sac Plat is dated 11/79; so I just missed the corrected bags. If/when you spray the goo gone, keep the can a foot or so away from the bag and cover the handles and other leather parts or they will get really dark. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm trying it now and this is going to be a big job! I'm almost tempted to just buy another!
For sticky linings (not yet peeling), try a light dusting of baby powder or talc - that did the trick permanently (meaning it didn't go back to being sticky) for my pre-loved GM bucket with a vuittonite lining.

I tried baby powder on the GM after removing the peeling/sticky lining of a pre-loved PM bucket.
Let me know if you want picts of either the PM or GM bucket linings!

Sometimes Goo Gone leaves an oil like feeling after usage, if that is the case... Use baby powder. It will absorb any access oil. Let it sit for about 10-15 min. then brush off the baby powder. Brushing any kind of powder (even make up on fabric) works best if you use a pice of panty hoes, it pulled and powder right up.

Baby powder also works great on any grease or oil stains on almost all fabric.

I'm so glad to hear Goo gone worked!

Hey Everyone!
I am not sure if anyone still needs help with sticky LV's but Here are two of my worked solutions.

1. Trocadero, I fixed the outer and inner pocked by first scrapping with goo gone a butter knife and baby wipes but I made it smooth by using leather glue and adding a leather insert that I later pulled out and it pulled all the left over sticky stuff.

2. Toiletry, I again use goo gone and a butter knife and then once i felt most of the sticky was off i used power to pull off access sticky parts and then baby wiped it off later I wasn't too worried making it smooth because I am going to just keep make up in it.

So far so good on both items, most of them are fixable and it just takes time, sticky fingers and patients. :lol:

Hello everyone...

Posting for the very first time in this forum and want to say hello to all :smile: Thanks for the suggestions here on how to eliminate stickiness / peeling off issue, I've completely cleaned the sticky parts with baby wipes and cotton with nail polish remover (though it was really a messy process).
The first thing I did is I vacuumed all the small residues inside the pockets then I wiped all the sticky vuittonite sticking out using cotton ball with nail polish and finally cleaned with wet cloth with liquid soap and wiped dry.

I was a bit hesitant at first, but I really like to save some $$$ by doing it by myslelf and the peeling is just on the inner pockets. It really worked for the peeling off pockets on my Boulogne 35 and it's in very good condition now. Thanks to all :smile: I'm happy with the results.

Last edited:
Good Evening,
My first posting. My Louis Vuitton small Bucket Bag is about 14 years old. The bag is in excellent condition but the lining is all sticky and transfers onto everything in the purse.

I was curious if I was going to take it to get relined, do I take it to an LV store? Or ship it?
Thanks for all the help
RLV

Hi all...hopefully someone knowledgeable will see this message. I am thinking about getting this LV bag for my daughter and was wondering would Goo Gone work for it. From the pictures, it doesn't look too bad and looks like Goo Gone and some wipes cleaning would do the trick. What do you think? The outside of the bag looks pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-L...725?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item3394ea1c45