Help a clueless husband navigate getting a Birkin!

They're running a business, not a charity. Being polite and respectful is a given anyway (it's not like you should only be polite or respectful when you want something, right?) and I've seen SAs tell obnoxious customers who've spent a bomb "sorry no birkin"... This is a case where unfortunately demand far outstrips supply for a certain good. I don't think it's unfair for birkins to be allocated to customers who've spent more...

I do agree with you JCinwrppingppr. Being an outsider to this whole world I find it surprising they are so difficult to get. I have bought some very exclusive items in my life and it has always generally been the same, pay the money and or wait the time. I think that this whole process is part of Hermes branding approach, it's how they maintain the mystique of exclusivity. I do however feel that there are better ways than just giving the goods to those who spend the most. I guess that is just the egalitarian in me though. At any rate, another week draws to a close and I remain bagless. One month to go.

Really? I realize that if you have a relationship with an SA that your chances of scoring a bag highly increase, especially a particular color/size, etc that you are looking for, but I have never heard that they will flat out refuse to sell a bag that is sitting on the shelf? I just can't imagine what they would say if you asked to purchase it? I have read so many stories on here where buyers have gone into random Hermes stores while on vacation and found their Birkins there, without any previous history with an SA. It's all so confusing!

Let me clarify what I meant. What I meant is, if you walk into an Hermes store, strike up a conversation with an SA, get on the 'waiting list' for a Birkin and expect them to phone you back when they have the bag in stock, they will most likely not be phoning you if you buy absolutely nothing else from Hermes in the mean time. They would rather sell the bags to customers who have a history of buying other items from their store and have a relationship with an SA.

If, however, you see a Birkin on display in one of their shelves, then I'm almost certain its up for grabs and anyone can buy it! Maybe not at the FSH (which I've read) but most anywhere else, I think if its on display, its to be sold to anyone - but you gotta be quick on the draw!

Let me clarify what I meant. What I meant is, if you walk into an Hermes store, strike up a conversation with an SA, get on the 'waiting list' for a Birkin and expect them to phone you back when they have the bag in stock, they will most likely not be phoning you if you buy absolutely nothing else from Hermes in the mean time. They would rather sell the bags to customers who have a history of buying other items from their store and have a relationship with an SA.

If, however, you see a Birkin on display in one of their shelves, then I'm almost certain its up for grabs and anyone can buy it! Maybe not at the FSH (which I've read) but most anywhere else, I think if its on display, its to be sold to anyone - but you gotta be quick on the draw!

Tequila:

Thanks for clarifying! I certainly agree with you there! I have heard many times that they will not call when a Birkin comes in, although I'm sure there are exceptions when you have a relationship and purchase history with the SA!!

I do however feel that there are better ways than just giving the goods to those who spend the most. .

care to explain? i really am interested what ways you would suggest !

my personal take on this
no matter what they do or what approach they take there will always be someone "left out" this just is the consequence when demand outstrips supply. and since H is a business of course it makes sense to keep their longstanding spending customers happy (and it is by far not the only brand to do so)

but i absolutely wish for your dream bag to appear very soon and i keep my fingers crossed :smile:

I was one of the lucky few that was able to put in an order for my perfect Birkin the first time I walked into the Chicago Hermes! I had been to Vegas on vacation and had bought a few things. The SA's there were wonderful and recommended I visit the Hermes in Chicago to inquire about the Birkin I was interested in. Sure enough when I walked into the Chicago Boutique everyone was really nice and the SA was very willing to let me put in an SO for a Birkin. I must say I made other purchases that day as well. I also of course bought a few more things while waiting for my Birkin!

instead of the birkin now, what about a trip to paris and a visit to the FSH store so your wife may try her luck there. maybe she will fall in love with another style, a kelly, a constance, toolbox, ect.

T minus one week... still no luck. Any alternate ideas?

This is a really dumb question, but does H do giftcards or store credit? Perhaps you can get a gift card and put inside a nice little H wallet or wrap it in a scarf and explain to your wife that you would like her to pick whatever she wants from the boutique when new stock arrives.

Someone else's husband on tpf had luck with the gift card route. Go to Beverley Hills and buy a scarf or a wallet (so that you have something to wrap up and slip the card inside) but do mention the gift card before you pick out whatever it is. You may be lucky.

Here's a thought. I know that you said that you've reached out to your stylist friends but does your wife have any girlfriends who owns birkins or shops at the boutique a lot, maybe you can reach out to them to ask their SA for you?