Have you ever been called materialistic?

All the time, along with spoiled and high maintenance. It's usually from people who don't know me and judge on appearances. I had a friend tell me that she was surprised that I wasn't as shallow and materialistic as I seemed (though she still found me materialistic).

It can work to your advantage though. So many men are intimidated by "high maintenance" women. Someone who doesn't subscribe to my lifestyle isn't someone I want (although I don't want alpha males either, but it weeds a lot of guys out).

The weird trend in men trying to impress me nowadays is by offering me shopping sprees, before they even get to know me. I never accept. I guess I'm not that materialistic after all! :nuts:

Buttery said:
I probably spend more time in book stores than clothing stores. :whistle: Just imagine what she'd think of me if I could buy the wardrobe I really want.:lol:
i could have written that! yay for book loving fashionista wannabes!!:wlae: even if i had the funds i'm pretty sure my bookshelves would always be better stocked that my closet! :whistle::lol:

sonya said:
I had a friend tell me that she was surprised that I wasn't as shallow and materialistic as I seemed (though she still found me materialistic).
It's the same thing with me. Friends have told me before we became close they figured I was shallow/snobby and were surprised to find out how I really am. But they still think I'm "materialistic" and "high maintenance."

My Mum said I was born into the wrong family because of my love of expensive things, does that count?

I just choose to spend my money on nice things because I don't have a car to run, a mortgage or childrens school fees to pay for. I know if she was in my situation she'd do the same (in fact she'd probably spend even more!).

I haven't ever been called materialistic or snobby though because I've only bought a few good quality pieces here and there. Living next to the rest of the 'cheshire set' makes me seem like a right cheap skate for my few designer goods, compared with their footballers mansions and wardrobes to match.

I have, but not by anyone I'm close to or care for. I think most of time when told, or when people are told, it's due to jealousy. The one person who told me I was, spends her money like it's going out of style, but for liking designer things I'm materialistic. :rolleyes:

Yep. By my mom, my friends, and by perfect strangers.

I'm really not that high-maintenance in the grand scheme of things, but on a personal level, I'm significantly more materialistic than any of my friends and dream of someday being able to ditch my campus-friendly jeans in favor of a little silk dress and some H. Stern.

... and, as further proof of me being comfortably settled in my fantasy world:

On the one hand, my "dream" husband is people-smart, but academia-happy; well-groomed, but not particularly vain. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine this well-loved professor getting his students giddy about science, and then me floating into the room in that sort of an exquisite outfit.