Have you ever been called materialistic?

All the time...especially at work where co-workers are more inclined to buy a fake instead of the real thing. Now that I am 40 and have a good job that affords me a certain lifestyle, I make no apologies to anyone. I volunteer and give back to my community too. It's all about balance.

Anne

Nope, I've never been called it. I'm not really a material girl, but I still manage to dress nice. I don't spend a ton on stuff like that.

I've had experiences in life that tought me that objects are not that important. And I can live without them.

materialistic, label whore, high maintenance...

but I don't care... doesn't bother me one bit... it's not like I'm stuck up about it or anything... I just like higher end things & I love to go shopping!

I have been by my husband family (but not to my face)
I think it is because I buy high quality all the time
for me, the kids, the house ( it will take years to finish the new house)

They do not understand think just buy a lot of cheap stuff and fill the house:yucky:

Why spend that much for a bag? shoes? sunglasses? hotel?

Part of it is just family wanting to know what we are doing.
We live in another state now and tell them nothing.
I do not get the money from the family we both work.
:wlae: So call me what you will :wlae: !

I'm really not that high-maintenance in the grand scheme of things, but on a personal level, I'm significantly more materialistic than any of my friends and dream of someday being able to ditch my campus-friendly jeans in favor of a little silk dress and some H. Stern.

... and, as further proof of me being comfortably settled in my fantasy world:

On the one hand, my "dream" husband is people-smart, but academia-happy; well-groomed, but not particularly vain. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine this well-loved professor getting his students giddy about science, and then me floating into the room in that sort of an exquisite outfit.

H Stern :love:

Your description of an academic life is totally possible. It's so Harvard! (but maybe a bit preppier....) Go to Cambridge. I am sure there are tons of junior professors who would LOVE to meet you! (Stay away from MIT for the most part because, although it's a stereotype, it's true that the hardcore scientists are a bit socially awkward, and tend to not care about their appearance that much.... The exception really are the Europeans ... like this one Italian I'm obsessed with at MIT.... And there is this one tenured professor, Russian, only 32, very social, very attractive and single....)