H Store in St. Barths- Comments Please...

I know this is an old thread but may I ask you a question?
I'll be in St Barth's next month and plan on shopping of course. This will be my first trip out of the country buying LV & Hermes.
I read on the US Customs page that items made in France, Spain, Italy...can be taxed up to 100%. Has that happened to you? What were you taxed when coming through US customs with your Hermes purchases?
(I'm assuming you live in the US. Pardon me if I'm wrong.) I'm a bit nervous to buy anything there with the possibility of being taxed so exorbitantly. It's made me rethink the whole shopping part of my trip. Any advice regarding your experience is greatly appreciated. [emoji4]
Here's the US customs/duty thread: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/us-customs-discussion-airports-importing.905560/
The 100% duty is on specific items, according to CBP website "not the type of goods that travelers would purchase in sufficient quantities to exceed their exemption".
I've personally not seen nor heard of higher than 10% duty on handbags coming in to the US by hand (as opposed to shipping), often much lower or waived.

Reactions: prepster
I know this is an old thread but may I ask you a question?
I'll be in St Barth's next month and plan on shopping of course. This will be my first trip out of the country buying LV & Hermes.
I read on the US Customs page that items made in France, Spain, Italy...can be taxed up to 100%. Has that happened to you? What were you taxed when coming through US customs with your Hermes purchases?
(I'm assuming you live in the US. Pardon me if I'm wrong.) I'm a bit nervous to buy anything there with the possibility of being taxed so exorbitantly. It's made me rethink the whole shopping part of my trip. Any advice regarding your experience is greatly appreciated. [emoji4]
Just returned from St Barth's, bought a CDC bracelet that retails in the US for $1150. Paid 950 euros, so with the conversion and not paying any sales tax since St Barth's is duty free, I save about $150. I had no problem with customs or paying any duty. I did claim it, and they just waived it.

Just returned from St Barth's, bought a CDC bracelet that retails in the US for $1150. Paid 950 euros, so with the conversion and not paying any sales tax since St Barth's is duty free, I save about $150. I had no problem with customs or paying any duty. I did claim it, and they just waived it.

Thanks so much for your reply. I leave in a week & hope to bring home a couple of goodies. [emoji4]

Here's the US customs/duty thread: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/us-customs-discussion-airports-importing.905560/
The 100% duty is on specific items, according to CBP website "not the type of goods that travelers would purchase in sufficient quantities to exceed their exemption".
I've personally not seen nor heard of higher than 10% duty on handbags coming in to the US by hand (as opposed to shipping), often much lower or waived.

Thank you for responding. This is very helpful! I'll shop in peace [emoji4]

Thanks so much for your reply. I leave in a week & hope to bring home a couple of goodies. [emoji4]

TNgypsy, recently returned from a vacation in SB about a month ago ~ the mother of our private concierge works at H, so we made it a point to head into town to spend or window shop at H and say hello to her.

Although the streets were fairly quiet, must warn you that probably the middle/late afternoon is the WORST time to shop at H. It was a veritable mad-house full of people with the SAs scrambling to assist everyone! As compared to D&G, where we were the only shoppers in the store and it is located just a block or less away from H. BTW, there is a great little bar behind the D&G store, perfect place to have a quiet drink and relax.

So, if you intend to visit H during your stay in SB, my suggestion is to head over to the store very early in the day if possible. It was a veritable H feeding frenzy when we arrived late afternoon and truly too distracting to seriously shop. Next year, we will stop by H early in the day when I imagine it is far less hectic.

I'm going in December and curious if Bs and Ks are still attainable and also about the above duty question.
OMG, i'm also going in Dec because God willing i will be getting married there and have my wedding-honeymoon with my friends. I will be there from Nov 30th-Dec 8th which is righ before high season starts and before all the celebs start arriving...... I wonder if H will be well stocked? When are you going?

TNgypsy, recently returned from a vacation in SB about a month ago ~ the mother of our private concierge works at H, so we made it a point to head into town to spend or window shop at H and say hello to

So, if you intend to visit H during your stay in SB, my suggestion is to head over to the store very early in the day if possible. It was a veritable H feeding frenzy when we arrived late afternoon and truly too distracting to seriously shop. Next year, we will stop by H early in the day when I imagine it is far less hectic.

Thanks for the great tip! I will make sure to go first thing in the morning... if i can get out of bed :smile:

OMG, i'm also going in Dec because God willing i will be getting married there and have my wedding-honeymoon with my friends. I will be there from Nov 30th-Dec 8th which is righ before high season starts and before all the celebs start arriving...... I wonder if H will be well stocked? When are you going?
oh fun, Congrats on your upcoming wedding. We will be there Dec. 4-10! We have friends that go around this time each year and recommended that it was a nice time on the island, as you said, not too crowded yet.

Any recent shopping reports/tips? I will be going in April, so I would like to know what to expect as far as pricing, selection, best day of the week to shop, etc. Thanks for any input!