Guitar straps replacing purse straps?

What do you think about the "guitar strap" trend?

• Love it

• Hate it

• If they made better ones that matched my bag, maybe

• I don't love it, I don't hate it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 28, 2015
I kinda like the idea, what does everyone else think?
Pros/cons if you have replaced your original purse strap with a guitar strap

TIA!

example 1: valentino rockstud guitar strap

example 2:
716-guitar-strap-bag-trend-spring-2016-c.jpg

example 3:
TheVillageVogue-Bundled-14.jpg

I enjoy seeing it on others but for me I need to have the strap match the leather. I also don't really like the wide width of these straps.

Me too, if it doesn't match, that could be a big problem. Funny you mention that, I love them because of the width. I feel like it would be more comfortable than the thin leather one I have currently.

I think it really works with some bags, but doesn't work with others.

Agreed.

I think it looks so good! I love the layering of multiple colors, patterns, textures, it feels so decadent and creative.

I completely agree.

Sigh.
Designers "reinventing" old trends, calling them new. :-s
Here's 2010:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NuQ1asHchXU/TOEtNddSXlI/AAAAAAAAOZ0/9_hrQTtFftY/s280/MulberryEdie.jpg
At least edie strap had leather, 1 side.

And here's the guitar pick jewelry.
Which many hope will not reappear:
http://www.thestunningpost.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/RNTT2.jpg

I didn't realize they were trying to revive an old trend lol. It looks exactly the same too. Now more than ever I fee like certain aesthetics are being revived, especially in fashion. Currently I see a lot of the 90s trends coming back. Personally I like how the straps dress up a purse, just my opinion though :smile:

But the guitar pick jewelry is new to me.... and I agree, I would be totally ok if those didn't come back into trend lol.

I love this trend! I think it is just another way of making your bag unique and adding some personal style. I can't get into the fur bug trend, but the straps really appeal to me. I have two, at very different price points. The first, by Rebecca Minkoff, was about $85 (I had a coupon). I liked it in photos and figured it was a less expensive way to try out the trend. It's OK quality, lightweight, but not adjustable. Here's a photo of it on my Bal City. I do wish I could shorten it just a bit as the bag hangs a little lower than I would like.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The second strap is Valentino. I wanted one of these a year ago but they sold out, so when this popped up on Saks for pre-order I jumped on it. At over $1,000, it's a lot more expensive than the Minkoff strap. And I have to say, it's stunning, and the craftsmanship is very high-quality. Unlike the RM, it's adjustable. It is also significantly heavier than the RM strap. I've attached a photo of it on my Kelly.

Personally, I find the width to be a positive, especially for cross-body wear. Much more comfortable than a skinny leather strap.

I absolutely love the idea of this! You can take a rather formal/structured bag and give it some more pizazz! I also like the wider straps (thin ones hurt!!!!) and I also like some of the patterns on some of these.......however the day will NEVER come when I would spend $1k or more on a strap, I'm way too practical for that type of nonsense....lol! But to each her own, what works for someone else is fine by me.
I just love the idea of individualizing my bags. Right now I'm waiting for my 1.5" wide cotton webbing strap in black to use on my Coach Gramercy bag in oxblood......I think it will look smashing!

Ok, so it's not a guitar strap per se but it is an alternative to the very thin one that comes with my bag.

Wow. Purse straps made of wide* leather and custom embroidery. Like a guitar strap. Well, this is the third reiteration of this fad - although the first one was using REAL guitar straps.

No way in heck would I pay more then $50 for a purse strap. LOL. I'd buy a guitar strap and take it to my local leather shop and have them redo the ends.

*Wide leather straps are way more comfortable on the shoulder...