Guitar straps replacing purse straps?

What do you think about the "guitar strap" trend?

• Love it

• Hate it

• If they made better ones that matched my bag, maybe

• I don't love it, I don't hate it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love this trend! I think it is just another way of making your bag unique and adding some personal style. I can't get into the fur bug trend, but the straps really appeal to me. I have two, at very different price points. The first, by Rebecca Minkoff, was about $85 (I had a coupon). I liked it in photos and figured it was a less expensive way to try out the trend. It's OK quality, lightweight, but not adjustable. Here's a photo of it on my Bal City. I do wish I could shorten it just a bit as the bag hangs a little lower than I would like.

View attachment 3466758 View attachment 3466763

The second strap is Valentino. I wanted one of these a year ago but they sold out, so when this popped up on Saks for pre-order I jumped on it. At over $1,000, it's a lot more expensive than the Minkoff strap. And I have to say, it's stunning, and the craftsmanship is very high-quality. Unlike the RM, it's adjustable. It is also significantly heavier than the RM strap. I've attached a photo of it on my Kelly.

Personally, I find the width to be a positive, especially for cross-body wear. Much more comfortable than a skinny leather strap.
Your Valentino strap is so cool!

Reactions: catsinthebag
I have a Rebecca Minkoff guitar strap that I use one one of the large satchels I take to class with all my stuff in it, including a laptop. It makes the bag work better for what it was designed: carrying a lot of stuff. Big bags with skinny straps are useless; they get heavy and uncomfortable when the strap digs into your shoulder. Straps should be compatible with the purpose of the bag. OK, that's my skinny-strap-on-big-satchels/totes rant.

@catsinthebag
Thanks for encouragement & sharing strap ideas.:heart:
Big bags with skinny straps are useless; they get heavy and uncomfortable when the strap digs into your shoulder.
Excellent point. And I own 1 of these.:hrmm:

Okay, I got fished-in.:P
Get me some guitar picks...;)
Valentino animali fantastici embroidered guitar strap:
valentino animali fantastici guitar strap.jpg
Colors work with most of my bags:
mr fill n zip&guitar strap_resized.jpg
Deadly ponies^
primrose&guitar strap.jpg
Mulberry^
Admittedly, is fun to change-up bag looks.:cool:

@catsinthebag
Thanks for encouragement & sharing strap ideas.:heart:

Excellent point. And I own 1 of these.:hrmm:

Okay, I got fished-in.:P
Get me some guitar picks...;)
Valentino animali fantastici embroidered guitar strap:
View attachment 3467778
Colors work with most of my bags:
View attachment 3467787
Deadly ponies^
View attachment 3467789
Mulberry^
Admittedly, is fun to change-up bag looks.:cool:

These look great! The Valentino straps are surprisingly versatile. Congrats on getting one!

Reactions: remainsilly
Interesting that fashion and leather goods houses have worked out we all have too many bags and how to sell us new bits to jazz up older items. I'm not against them, I'm all for them and the concept (apart from they don't look like any guitar strap I put on my guitars ha ha but clever to call them guitar straps to bring a in a bit more of the rock-stud connection) but I think the prices of all these straps (and most charms) across the brand board are so inflated. I guess we're just happy we don't have to fork out for a new bag which I find are now mostly extortionate.

Reactions: floodette and KBT39
I guess we're just happy we don't have to fork out for a new bag which I find are now mostly extortionate.
:lol:
Valentino employee asked what bags I had
Man in my life chimed up, "She owns mulberry. The old, good ones--not the new crap."
He said this with such pride, it tickled me.:blush:
Happy to find new way to enjoy my existing collection.
Alternative was adding carabiner clips to actual guitar strap--but my free-wheeling Bob Dylan/groovy/tie dye/vw bus notions need to stay checked. This helps mankind, I swear.:roflmfao:
----
Thanks for strap love, all:heart:

I kinda like the idea, what does everyone else think?
Pros/cons if you have replaced your original purse strap with a guitar strap

TIA!

example 1: valentino rockstud guitar strap

example 2:
716-guitar-strap-bag-trend-spring-2016-c.jpg

example 3:
TheVillageVogue-Bundled-14.jpg

Not necessary for me. I don't like the flat wide width of the strap. I can see why and how some consumers will welcome the comfortable width all along I don't have problems with thin straps.